Need help troubleshooting a router

Scribs

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I am having troubles with my internet lately, and I am trying to figure out if my router is dieing or if my internet connection is at fault. Are there any programs or procedures that I can use to run diagnostics on my router? I took a quick look at Linksys' page and couldn't find much that looked like it would help (I have a Linksys router). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Scribs

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If your modem (DSL or cable) is a separate device from your router, try connecting a computer directly to the modem (that is, by-pass the router).

If your troubles clear up, that points to the router being the problem. If they don't, then you know the problem is elsewhere (your ISP, your modem, etc.)

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
See if the logs are showing any thing, normal not, clear when every you reboot. If you are using any BT (P2P) software, shut it down for a day and see it the problem exists.

Scribs

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
What exactly should I be looking for in the logs? And are you talking about the router's logs or something else?

Also, I was thinking the same thing about disconnecting the router and plan on trying that as soon as I get a chance to really pay attention to it. Good idea.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Some routers report problems in the log. Like connection lost, lease expired, to many simotanious connections ... And even attacks. But once you have cycled the power all logs are lost, stores them in volital ram.

I have see some of the older routers not handle the buffer correctly, soon as the log fills up, they lock-up. May try turning off all logging.