Server upgrade

I have a Windows NT server which is a DC and runs Exchange
5.5.

I wish to build a new server which will run Windows Server
2003 and Exchange 2003. There are about 60 workstations
running 98, 2000 Pro and XP Pro.

Is there a way to maintain the SIDs and accounts so that
workstations can keep using their existing profiles? I
wish to avoid visiting all the workstations and copying
over their old profiles into new profiles.

Does the ADMT work from NT4 all the way up to 2003?
1 answer Last reply
More about server upgrade
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Joe,

    ADMTv2 supports migrations from NT4 to Windows 2003 as well as Windows
    2000. Please review the following article for the requirements for this
    migration to work properly:

    Q325851 How To Set Up ADMT for a Windows NT 4.0-to-Windows Server 2003
    Migration
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325851

    User Profiles can be migrated by selecting the "User Profiles" option on
    theTranslate Objects screen during the migration of Computer accounts.

    SID history can be maintained by selecting the "Add" option on the Security
    Translation Options screen during the migration of Computer accounts.

    See the Domain Migration Cookbook, Chapter 10: Consolidation of Windows NT
    4.0 Resource Domains, for an examples of how to accomplish this task.
    (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/cookboo
    k/cookch10.mspx)

    Mark Wilson [MS]
    rights."

    --------------------
    | From: "Joe Schmeier" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | Sender: "Joe Schmeier" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | Subject: Server upgrade
    | Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:51:20 -0700
    |
    | I have a Windows NT server which is a DC and runs Exchange
    | 5.5.
    |
    | I wish to build a new server which will run Windows Server
    | 2003 and Exchange 2003. There are about 60 workstations
    | running 98, 2000 Pro and XP Pro.
    |
    | Is there a way to maintain the SIDs and accounts so that
    | workstations can keep using their existing profiles? I
    | wish to avoid visiting all the workstations and copying
    | over their old profiles into new profiles.
    |
    | Does the ADMT work from NT4 all the way up to 2003?

Workstations Servers Windows