E6400 to E6600

Ok guys I'm pretty much a noob to this OC stuff. I was wondering if I bought a E6400 and OCed it to 2,4ghz would it have the same performance as the E6600?
19 answers Last reply
More about e6400 e6600
  1. first of all what are you going to use the rig for?
    second, 2.4 is to small of a overclock even with stock hsf :lol: (just a hint :) )
  2. What would the minimum OC be and I was planning on using it for gaming abit but more for programs compressing videos and stuff like that.
  3. Quote:
    more for programs compressing videos and stuff like that

in this case i'd recommend e6600 because it has 4mb cache as opposed to 2mb that e6400 has. Bigger cache will improve your encoding times, as to clocks pretty much all c2d cpus oc very well.
  4. So overclocking the E6400 wouldn't really make it match with the E6600 stock for what i'm gonna use it for?
  5. sure it will,easily, but it's really up to you, what you can and cannot afford
  6. Quote:
    more for programs compressing videos and stuff like that

in this case i'd recommend e6600 because it has 4mb cache as opposed to 2mb that e6400 has. Bigger cache will improve your encoding times, as to clocks pretty much all c2d cpus oc very well.

yeah that might be ture, but dont forget e6400 cost less. and if he overclock it to its full potential, it would definitly run faster than a stock e6600.
  7. yes, that's pretty much what i just said
  8. Well Im either getting the E6600 and radeon x1300 or E6400 and nvidia 9000GS...So I guess I could just OC the E6400 and get the results I need
  9. Quote:
    So I guess I could just OC the E6400 and get the results I need

you sure as hell will, gl
  10. Alright thanks for the help, I'll get back to you guys if I have a hard time Overclocking
  11. glad to help, don't be a stranger :lol:
  12. No, the E6400 has a 2MB cache as opposed to the E6600's 4MB cache. So even if they were running at the same speed, theoretically the E6600 would perform better.
  13. Real world differences are 1-3% at best. Nothing to lose sleep over. :wink:
  14. Quote:
    i'd recommend e6600 because it has 4mb cache as opposed to 2mb that e6400 has.

Quote:
    No, the E6400 has a 2MB cache as opposed to the E6600's 4MB cache.

:? that's what i said
  15. Quote:
    I was planning on using it for gaming abit but more for programs compressing videos and stuff like that.

1-3% difference for gaming, but for some apps it's up to 10% difference
  16. Quote:
    i'd recommend e6600 because it has 4mb cache as opposed to 2mb that e6400 has.

Quote:
    No, the E6400 has a 2MB cache as opposed to the E6600's 4MB cache.

:? that's what i said

lol, I was responding to the OP. I didn't see your post until mine was already up. sorry about that.
  17. no problem
  18. Quote:
    Ok guys I'm pretty much a noob to this OC stuff. I was wondering if I bought a E6400 and OCed it to 2,4ghz would it have the same performance as the E6600?

I'm a bit late in my reply since assman already answered your question. I have data to back up my answer which is: yes, same performance judging by x264.exe as a comparison there is no difference between bus speeds. You can see the full data set for yourself in this thread. If you pick out the different clock rates and reference back to the chip, you'll find that they are very close if not the same.
  19. Quote:

i used E6300 in my first build, and i OCed it to 2.66 stable, load @ 45C.

i'm sure you can use E6400 OC to E6600 with no sweat at all.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Overclocking