Desktop Linux For The Windows Power User

Status
Not open for further replies.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... i'm a n00b in LINUX, but UBUNTU... it iz a nice start... the GUI iz easy to pick up... the rest iz reading forums... i got even crysis to work in Ubuntu... just the problem waz, that there waz no textures... with WINE and DX instaled the need for speed series runs pretty fine... all OpenGL games, that i played, run fine too... the interesting thing where you can consider using Ubuntu iz a old computer for internet browsing... if tha CPU iz approx 1Ghz, tha RAM 256Mb, and a 5 series GeForce or 9 Series Radeon to do the COMPIZ eyecandy... then YOU have a better-than-Vista visual and browsing experience...

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Meh, I've killed my XP install and I use Windows 7, which I actually like. Ubuntu doesn't cut it for me due to the lack of games.. otherwise I'd be all for alternatives.

arpikusz

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Great article. Really like that you outlined how to install all the "good little stuff" and not just the OS it self. Thumbs up!

G

Sir you are wrong. GoogleEarth and AdobeFlash is fully 64-bit compatible.

One issue that you may encounter is GoogleGears that is 32bit only, but you can easily find Gears for 64 bit (without Google trade mark).

fordry06

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Ya, I have multiple games that will not work no matter what i do. I have tried configuring WINE manually and Play on Linux and Steam games will not function properly for me, neither does Trackmania. Im not sure if its becuse i have SLI or what but it simply doesn't work. I would love to use Linux as my primary OS, but when i install Windows 7 and ALL of my drivers are installed and working correctly automatically without any hassle, even nvidia video drivers, that is something that Linux is not capable of yet with alot of systems. Until the majority of programs and drivers work natively with Linux, it will just be a niche OS on desktop computers.

ahmshaegar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Well, let's get this out of the way first: Linux is my primary OS. And I realize it's a kernel, so piss off you pedantic bastards.

@thepinkpanther: Linux ain't Windows. Linux is Linux, so if your goal is to run Windows apps all day, I don't think choosing Linux as your primary OS makes the most sense.

@fordry06: That certainly is a problem. Now, most hardware manufacturers don't disclose all the information about their hardware, so it's quite hard to write perfectly working drivers for OSes other than Windows. Although it's not Red Hat/SuSE/Ubuntu/(Insert Linux vendor here)'s fault, as a user, you don't really care about that, do you? Basically, for a lot of hardware out there, you have to fight to get it to work in Linux. For me, I got a bog standard laptop. In Ubuntu 9.04, pretty much everything I use worked out of the box. Now, certain things aren't working as well, such as my card reader only reading SD and MMC cards in Ubuntu... but I don't use anything other than SD cards. So for me, it's working just fine. For others... not so much. And regarding your games in Linux, see what I said above to thepinkpanther. Linux ain't Windows.

Well, having gravitated away from games, and not being particularly loyal to any company or OS or anything, I really honestly don't care if I'm on *gasp* a Mac or Windows or Linux. So it all works out for me. Hey, if you really want me to get philosophical then let me just say that I think you can enjoy life best when you stop caring about all the trivial things. Why should I care what Microsoft has to say about Apple or vice versa? Why should I care when a Linux zealot declares the start of the nineteenth Crusade against Sata- er, Bill Gates?

Flame on! or not.

G

Great article Adam! You are a man after my own heart! I rule over my computer with an iron fist and judiciously gut every MS OS I've own. I also drink no one's kool-aid (XP: 1.5GB Disk space, 19 running processes; Vista: 10GB Disk Space; 30 running processes). Ubuntu 9.04 is my primary OS and I absolutely love the amount of control I have. I now have no use for vista except for games. (Still working on that). :p

Good! Er, well, not perfect, but good.

Linux (the kernel) has built-in 32-bit compatibility when running in 64-bit: I mean, you could perfectly run the rest of the system (including the GUI) in 32-bit, or actually have both: I merrily cut and paste between my 32-bit browser and 64-bit office suite - well, I used to: since Adobe unveiled the 64-bit build of Flash 10 and Sun published a 64-bit Java plugin, everything runs 64-bit.

Google Earth is 32-bit only, true; but if you install the 32-bit counterparts to its required libraries, it works like a charm in 64-bit. It may be a bit difficult (it's like trying to guess which version of .Net a Windows program requires), but then you can bypass it by adding a third party repository: it's like installing packages manually , but it also resolves dependencies.

For example, if you add the Medibuntu repositories, you'll get Google Earth on your 64-bit OS. No glitch.

Hardware support: I've installed 9.04 on 3 different machines. All of them detected all the hardware right away. The new Linux wi-fi stack is so good, there's hardly a chipset that isn't recognized. And at least, it has proper support for WPA2 and doesn't disconnect at the drop of a hat like Vista does...

But I'm not using Ubuntu. I use another, more suited to my needs, distribution.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Unfortunatelly VirtualBox (or VMWare) doesn't solve the problem of playing state-of-the-art games available for Windows, without loosing 70% performance.
While the software houses stick to Microsoft pressure and rules, Linux won't grow in that important slice of users. IMO this is where it all starts for the consumer market and Microsoft knows it well.
I'm pretty sure if software houses developed Crysis, Far Cry, Burnout, etc, for Linux platform with a good graphic support, i'm pretty sure the number of Linux users would grow a lot. Do you remember Doom on Linux? Wasn't it great?

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
i just happen to have tried Ubuntu 9.4 last weekend...please force a restore point before installing as if you decide to uninstall it will not undo the O/S selection screen.

After i did a restore after removing the installation it was all back to normal.

Linux is great for a pc that just will web browse and use open office apps.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Why is it always UBUNTU? EVERY reviewer who "runs" Linux runs Ubuntu! Why don't some one try Fedora or SUSE?[/citation]
I agree.... Also, this Article is wrong, I dont care what hassle you go through getting current games like Crysis working fully is basically impossible. Gaming in linux is useless. I have been trying to get my ATI 4870X2 working in just about every major linux distro INCLUDING Ubuntu 9.04 for about 2 months now and it DOESNT WORK... Linux=Useless currently...

flightmare

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Becouse Ubuntu it the most popular by far, and most people switching OS will start with Ubuntu, later on with Debian, etc.

For people who wan't to know what games run on Linux, and how to install them. Check out the appdb on http://appdb.winehq.org/
Also, use the latest beta version of Wine, not the stable one, if you want to try some games.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]scatcat_88[/nom]Great article Adam! You are a man after my own heart! I rule over my computer with an iron fist and judiciously gut every MS OS I've own. I also drink no one's kool-aid (XP: 1.5GB Disk space, 19 running processes; Vista: 10GB Disk Space; 30 running processes). Ubuntu 9.04 is my primary OS and I absolutely love the amount of control I have. I now have no use for vista except for games. (Still working on that).[/citation]

#1 reason linux has 0 market share, lame Linux gurus who scream Linux isnt Windows dont compare it to that and dont listen (LISTEN hello?) to what people are wanting in an OS... Microsoft listened (at least a little), and I think a couple of people use their software... lol

Yeah yeah yeah, a Ford aint a Chevy but they both take you places and can do basically the same thing.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]thepinkpanther[/nom]as soon as ubuntu can run .exe without a hitch, windows is out the...ugh...window.[/citation]
That's a stupid thing to say. In that case I wish Windows would run .deb without a hitch. Oh wait, those files aren't supposed to work on Windows. Do you expect OSX to run .exe as well? :sarcastic:
[citation][nom]ahmshaegar[/nom]Linux ain't Windows. Linux is Linux, so if your goal is to run Windows apps all day, I don't think choosing Linux as your primary OS makes the most sense.[/citation]

Precisely. Why will Linux never be mainstream? Because People want it to behave like Windows. If you want it to be like Windows, why not use Windows? Strange as it may seem it behaves just like Windows!

[citation][nom]fordry06[/nom]I would love to use Linux as my primary OS, but when i install Windows 7 and ALL of my drivers are installed and working correctly automatically without any hassle, even nvidia video drivers, that is something that Linux is not capable of yet with alot of systems.[/citation]
Linux is capable of it, very capable. The driver developers just aren't making open source drivers for it. Ubuntu doesn't come with NVIDIA video drivers pre-installed because that would go against the point of using Linux (open source software) and might even be breaching the Ubuntu philosophy. Even restricted drivers are sub-par. Linux is not the problem, it is and always will be the driver developers.

Additionally, a new installation of Ubuntu without you installing restricted video drivers performs smoothly (usually). You can get straight onto the net or into Open Office and write up some documents and spreadsheets. On Windows you'll likely have a few more drivers to install, and then some office software before you can do anything useful.

[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Why is it always UBUNTU? EVERY reviewer who "runs" Linux runs Ubuntu! Why don't some one try Fedora or SUSE?[/citation]
Given that Ubuntu is the most common distribution, it's just down to probability I guess. Don't forget that most people who have heard of Linux have probably heard of Ubuntu. So it's probably a good idea to start with something that rings a bell. I do think a few articles on other distros would be good. In fact, more Linux articles in general would be nice.

Oh, and before someone calls me a Linux fanboy, I don't even use Linux (although I have dabbled with it a little).

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]ap90033[/nom]#1 reason linux has 0 market share, lame Linux gurus who scream Linux isnt Windows dont compare it to that and dont listen (LISTEN hello?) to what people are wanting in an OS... Microsoft listened (at least a little), and I think a couple of people use their software... lolYeah yeah yeah, a Ford aint a Chevy but they both take you places and can do basically the same thing.[/citation]
Here is current status for COD5 and wine
What works
Installation
Ingame menu & settings
Starting a campaign

What does not
Sound (except in the movies)

What was not tested
Extensive game play (because it runs very slow; I only tested the first mission)
Multiplayer

Additional Comments

To make it run do the following:
- regedit sound.reg
(sound.reg being this file:
http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=18560)
- patch the current git tree with this patch and compile:
http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=18559
- copy the XAudio2_0.dll into the
drive_c/windows/system32 directory.
(http://rapidshare.de/files/41317359/XAudio2_0.dll.html)

If you are thrown back to the "MISSION SELECT" screen after
choosing the difficulty try to disconnect from the internet.
Resuming your current game play should work then also when
connected to the internet.

Uh "Runs very slow" , sound does not work? No mention of Punkbuster. Cmon lets be honest COD5 in reality aint happening in linux anytime soon if ever.
So, I tried another game to see if wine works, Battle for Middle Earth 2 and No Mention at all, meaning probably doesnt work at all.
Ok lets try Crysis
What works
Gameplay

What does not
crashes, freezes, "out of memory" errors

What was not tested
Multiplayer

CRASHES FREEZES? NO THANKS, MULTIPLAYER NOT TESTED??? Are you serious?
I could go on and on and on and on and well you get the point. Linux needs some hardcore changes, or something before gamers can embrace it.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]ap90033[/nom]Linux needs some hardcore changes, or something before gamers can embrace it.[/citation]
No it doesn't. Linux needs no changes. Games are not compiled to run on Linux, therefore the root problem is (once again) with the developers. Besides, Wine is not Linux, therefore running games with problems in Wine does not indicate a problem with Linux, it indicates a problem with Wine.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Oh forgot to say, here comes all the responses "Linux has No Problems", "Linux is perfect", "Its not Linux fault", "Its ____ Insert anybody else but Linux here's fault"
For Years I have really thought Linux has potential, potential that will never really be tapped into because how can you fix or improve something that is already perfect?
Its funny Microsoft has had so much bad press and so many issues, but the defining difference is they at least try to fix or improve.
I know it isnt all Linux fault, but lets be honest, getting Linux working can be such a pain (BOY DO I KNOW) and windows is so much easier.
I just wish one of these Linux Gurus would say enough we are going to grab the bull by the reigns, get a vision, pursue it and make Linux easier to use and make more actual apps work. Even if that means *gasp* working with some of these commercial companies like epic, ea, etc.
The gaming industry is BIGGER than the movie industry just to give you guys a clue on how many people are there.... Come join us, its fun.. lol

randomizer

Champion
I am not a Linux guru. If you read my post on the previous page you'll see there that I said I don't use Linux much. The reason is because games don't run on it and I play games alot. Yet I don't go around complaining, I just use Windows. There is no universally perfect OS, each is better than the others at some things and poorer at others. I don't think Linux is perfect (otherwise we wouldn't need kernel updates now would we? ;)), but I don't think Linux is the problem in the case of games either. In fact, the same can be said for OSX, although it has the hardware restrictions than Linux does not.

Most of the time it is the software developers just not porting their programs to Linux, or in the case of many drivers, not developing them as open source. Look how long it's taken for decent WiFi drivers to be added to the kernel. Why? Because they are all closed source and needed to be reverse engineered and rebuilt, which takes time to get right.

The difficulty of getting things set up in Linux depends on what you're trying to do, and how much experience you've had with the OS. It also depends on whether or not you know of any easier ways of doing it, because there's usually the Terminal way and the GUI way (or just Terminal for the tricky stuff). You can't expect it to be the same as Windows, because as I said before (and as someone else said), Linux is not another Windows and should not be expected to behave like Windows. Why don't you expect Windows to behave like Linux or OSX instead?

Many things on Windows aren't easy to do either if you think about it, especially when the registry is involved. But it seems easy because you are used to it. Linux would seem easy if you were used to it as well. I find Linux hard to use for some things, but for most of the things I've done (not alot of fancy stuff really) it was dead easy. It took me a while to get VMware Tools installed on Linux the first 2 times, but now I can do it quickly because I learned how to do something off by heart. Yes, using a new OS requires learning so don't think otherwise. If you have never used any OS before, Windows would require learning as well.

G

"I screamed at the monitor, smashed the keyboard, pulled my hair out, and yes, even cried more than once. Experience dictated that this free operating system was definitely not ready for prime time."

I wish this was the requirement for ensuring an operating system wasn't ready for prime time... but the sad reality is that despite this, Windows is still declared ready for prime time (I spend 2 hours trying to get flash installed on a Vista machine only 2 weeks ago because Spore required it in it's udpate manager... I was reduced to pile of tears at the end...)

I find that Linux people say things like, "Windows is confusing", or Windows folks say things like, "Linux is confusing", etc. But the reality, is that Windows users have spent years working with Windows, so when things like Flash doesn't install, they know how to fix it quickly... Linus the same way... You can solve problems easily on a platform that you are familiar with... but that's not an indication of what's ready for prime time.

Linux is not ready for prime time because the application providers have not written the applications that are going to make it ready. ie, if you are gamer, don't even bother running linux... your games will not work. (I wish they did, but they won't).

Linux is ready for prime time, especially if you base it solely on your statement of pulling your hair out and crying... but sadly, we'll never it see it happen because the applications (games mainly) will prevent people from running it full time. That being said, I run linux as my primary OS, but I use a PS3 for gaming.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]windowsisready[/nom]"I screamed at the monitor, smashed the keyboard, pulled my hair out, and yes, even cried more than once. Experience dictated that this free operating system was definitely not ready for prime time."I wish this was the requirement for ensuring an operating system wasn't ready for prime time... but the sad reality is that despite this, Windows is still declared ready for prime time (I spend 2 hours trying to get flash installed on a Vista machine only 2 weeks ago because Spore required it in it's udpate manager... I was reduced to pile of tears at the end...)I find that Linux people say things like, "Windows is confusing", or Windows folks say things like, "Linux is confusing", etc. But the reality, is that Windows users have spent years working with Windows, so when things like Flash doesn't install, they know how to fix it quickly... Linus the same way... You can solve problems easily on a platform that you are familiar with... but that's not an indication of what's ready for prime time.Linux is not ready for prime time because the application providers have not written the applications that are going to make it ready. ie, if you are gamer, don't even bother running linux... your games will not work. (I wish they did, but they won't). Linux is ready for prime time, especially if you base it solely on your statement of pulling your hair out and crying... but sadly, we'll never it see it happen because the applications (games mainly) will prevent people from running it full time. That being said, I run linux as my primary OS, but I use a PS3 for gaming.[/citation]

I use Vista as primary but currently have Fedora 11 Beta to play with. Looks slick but 3d Doesnt work and everyone says its ATI's fault (supposedly my kernel it to new). Its stuff like that that I hate. I think Loki was the perfect idea, just at the wrong time. We NEED a NEW LOKI!!!!!!
http://www.lokigames.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.