Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Blue Screen,computer won't start at all

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:47:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I was trying to network my two computers and I used the wizard. Now when I
reboot it only goes as far as the initial blue screen where it says
"Hewle-Packard. I can't get a startup disk to work nor the windows xp cd to
get it to boot, nor can I do a system restre as I can't get past the first
screen.

Is my problems related to trying to network the computers or am I having a
hard drive failure? If it's the first problem what do I do to get past the
intial blue screen.

Thanks for any help




--
Diane J
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 9:55:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi,

Agree with David. That is the POST cover screen, you're not getting anywhere
nears loading Windows. Hit <escape> to clear the logo screen and see what
the POST says. What is the last line?

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Diane J" <DianeJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:89124A2D-BE55-4EF7-87A1-221752534851@microsoft.com...
>I was trying to network my two computers and I used the wizard. Now when I
> reboot it only goes as far as the initial blue screen where it says
> "Hewle-Packard. I can't get a startup disk to work nor the windows xp cd
> to
> get it to boot, nor can I do a system restre as I can't get past the first
> screen.
>
> Is my problems related to trying to network the computers or am I having a
> hard drive failure? If it's the first problem what do I do to get past
> the
> intial blue screen.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
>
>
>
> --
> Diane J
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:51:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Reply--I can't use escape as my mouse, keyboard, and usb hub have no lights
on them, I guess the drivers aren't being loaded?

So hopefully, this isn't related to trying to network the computers and
possibly screwing things up--I don't want to have to admit to this to my
husband if we have to take it in again. Yikes!

(ONe more thing please--it says on the introduction page not to use your
real email address to prevent spam, but it won't let me use it--says its
invalid.

Thanks for your help

DJ


"Diane J" wrote:

> I was trying to network my two computers and I used the wizard. Now when I
> reboot it only goes as far as the initial blue screen where it says
> "Hewle-Packard. I can't get a startup disk to work nor the windows xp cd to
> get it to boot, nor can I do a system restre as I can't get past the first
> screen.
>
> Is my problems related to trying to network the computers or am I having a
> hard drive failure? If it's the first problem what do I do to get past the
> intial blue screen.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
>
>
>
> --
> Diane J
Related resources
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:11:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

It doesn't seem to be anything to do with Windows. Contact HP.

--
----------------------------------------------------------

"Diane J" <DianeJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89124A2D-BE55-4EF7-87A1-221752534851@microsoft.com...
>I was trying to network my two computers and I used the wizard. Now when I
> reboot it only goes as far as the initial blue screen where it says
> "Hewle-Packard. I can't get a startup disk to work nor the windows xp cd to
> get it to boot, nor can I do a system restre as I can't get past the first
> screen.
>
> Is my problems related to trying to network the computers or am I having a
> hard drive failure? If it's the first problem what do I do to get past the
> intial blue screen.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
>
>
>
> --
> Diane J
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:15:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi Diane,

I doubt that it was related to your attempt to network the systems. This is
a hardware fault that is occuring before it ever gets anywhere nears loading
Windows. Unless you have the means, you need a technician at this point.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Diane J" <DianeJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BDA06D10-FCB6-4EFD-BA37-019BCC36E137@microsoft.com...
> Reply--I can't use escape as my mouse, keyboard, and usb hub have no
> lights
> on them, I guess the drivers aren't being loaded?
>
> So hopefully, this isn't related to trying to network the computers and
> possibly screwing things up--I don't want to have to admit to this to my
> husband if we have to take it in again. Yikes!
>
> (ONe more thing please--it says on the introduction page not to use your
> real email address to prevent spam, but it won't let me use it--says its
> invalid.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> DJ
>
>
> "Diane J" wrote:
>
>> I was trying to network my two computers and I used the wizard. Now when
>> I
>> reboot it only goes as far as the initial blue screen where it says
>> "Hewle-Packard. I can't get a startup disk to work nor the windows xp cd
>> to
>> get it to boot, nor can I do a system restre as I can't get past the
>> first
>> screen.
>>
>> Is my problems related to trying to network the computers or am I having
>> a
>> hard drive failure? If it's the first problem what do I do to get past
>> the
>> intial blue screen.
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Diane J
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:08:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Some BIOSs have a "safe mode". Holding down Insert forces the BIOS into a safe mode. This is meant for when one screws up BIOS settings, but you have nothing to lose if you try it.

What did you do on a BIOS or hardware level to network. It's irrelevent what you did in windows. But unplug as much as possible. You only need a video card, hard drive, and keyboard to boot and configure a computer.

Also BIOSs communicate via screen (which HP thinks you prefer to see the HP logo) and in case the screen doesn't work they beep as well. ! beep means all is ok. Other beeps you need to look it up in the manual as beep codes are all different depending on manufacturer.

--
----------------------------------------------------------

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:o Undx5XNFHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi Diane,
>
> I doubt that it was related to your attempt to network the systems. This is
> a hardware fault that is occuring before it ever gets anywhere nears loading
> Windows. Unless you have the means, you need a technician at this point.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Diane J" <DianeJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BDA06D10-FCB6-4EFD-BA37-019BCC36E137@microsoft.com...
>> Reply--I can't use escape as my mouse, keyboard, and usb hub have no
>> lights
>> on them, I guess the drivers aren't being loaded?
>>
>> So hopefully, this isn't related to trying to network the computers and
>> possibly screwing things up--I don't want to have to admit to this to my
>> husband if we have to take it in again. Yikes!
>>
>> (ONe more thing please--it says on the introduction page not to use your
>> real email address to prevent spam, but it won't let me use it--says its
>> invalid.
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>>
>> DJ
>>
>>
>> "Diane J" wrote:
>>
>>> I was trying to network my two computers and I used the wizard. Now when
>>> I
>>> reboot it only goes as far as the initial blue screen where it says
>>> "Hewle-Packard. I can't get a startup disk to work nor the windows xp cd
>>> to
>>> get it to boot, nor can I do a system restre as I can't get past the
>>> first
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> Is my problems related to trying to network the computers or am I having
>>> a
>>> hard drive failure? If it's the first problem what do I do to get past
>>> the
>>> intial blue screen.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Diane J
>
>
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 2:39:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi
(Been away for a few days so haven't responded back)

I didn't do anything to the bios to network. I have an linksys router on
the main computer and I was trying to network the second computer via the
"network wizard" under windows. Maybe that wasn't the correct way to go about
it but I didn't think it was going to cause this much trouble.
I tried the "insert" which does nothing. My computer doesn't beep at all
but you can hear the drive spinning and other startup noises. I tried the
escape button,- did nothing- but a few times when I tried ESC plus F1 I got
as far as the setup screen but then it froze and I couldn't go any further,
F8/ F5 does nothing either

Thanks
DianeJ

"Diane J" wrote:

> I was trying to network my two computers and I used the wizard. Now when I
> reboot it only goes as far as the initial blue screen where it says
> "Hewle-Packard. I can't get a startup disk to work nor the windows xp cd to
> get it to boot, nor can I do a system restre as I can't get past the first
> screen.
>
> Is my problems related to trying to network the computers or am I having a
> hard drive failure? If it's the first problem what do I do to get past the
> intial blue screen.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
>
>
>
> --
> Diane J
!