Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$5000 build for friend (wants ultimate gaming system)

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
March 21, 2007 2:40:55 AM

I'm building a PC for my friend who has a budget of $5000. He basically wants the ultimate gaming machine, bar none. Here is what I have put together so far. Please let me know if anything doesn't fit or doesn't make sense or is just plain wrong. Thanks 8)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66Ghz
Mobo: Asus Striker Extreme
RAM: Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400, 4-4-4-12, 1GB x 4 = 4GB
Video Card: BFG GeForce 8800GTX x 2 SLI
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Power Supply: ENERMAX Galaxy 1000W
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 150GB x 2 (RAID 0)
CPU Cooling: Tuniq Tower 120
Keyboard / Mouse: G15 keyboard, G5 mouse
DVD/CD: Samsung 18X DVD+-R DVD Burner
OS: MS Windows Vista Home Premium

More about : 5000 build friend ultimate gaming system

March 21, 2007 3:03:06 AM

Money to burn eh? :? ... I wish I had 5,000.00 I would put a down payment on a car .. lol :arrow:

Goodluck ..
March 21, 2007 3:18:24 AM

Quote:
I'm building a PC for my friend who has a budget of $5000. He basically wants the ultimate gaming machine, bar none. Here is what I have put together so far. Please let me know if anything doesn't fit or doesn't make sense or is just plain wrong. Thanks 8)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66Ghz
Mobo: Asus Striker Extreme
RAM: Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400, 4-4-4-12, 1GB x 4 = 4GB
Video Card: BFG GeForce 8800GTX x 2 SLI
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Power Supply: ENERMAX Galaxy 1000W
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 150GB x 2 (RAID 0)
CPU Cooling: Tuniq Tower 120
Keyboard / Mouse: G15 keyboard, G5 mouse
DVD/CD: Samsung 18X DVD+-R DVD Burner
OS: MS Windows Vista Home Premium


Raptor times 2? Why not 4 Raptors?
I believe the QX6800 will be out sometime soon.
Why DDR2-800? Why not get that nasty DDR2-1333?
Why not go with water cooling all around?

I hope you plan on going with the 64 bit OS if you plan on seeing all of that 4 gigs you're planning on buying.

...and in a month or two it'll all be obsolete :lol:  ....LMAO
Related resources
March 21, 2007 3:18:29 AM

I think you've got it under control for a $5000 budget.
March 21, 2007 3:21:54 AM

All I would add is a nice DATA drive, about 500GB. one sweet system you have there. For Gaming, maybe a headset with mic for those team speak games.
March 21, 2007 3:27:17 AM

Quote:
All I would add is a nice DATA drive, about 500GB.


zomg!, brain fart.

when I read this I was thinking "pata, sata, ... data? is there a new interface I'm not aware of?"
March 21, 2007 3:52:54 AM

Quote:
I'm building a PC for my friend who has a budget of $5000. He basically wants the ultimate gaming machine, bar none. Here is what I
have put together so far. Please let me know if anything doesn't fit or doesn't make sense or is just plain wrong. Thanks 8)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66Ghz
Mobo: Asus Striker Extreme
RAM: Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400, 4-4-4-12, 1GB x 4 = 4GB
Video Card: BFG GeForce 8800GTX x 2 SLI
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Power Supply: ENERMAX Galaxy 1000W
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 150GB x 2 (RAID 0)
CPU Cooling: Tuniq Tower 120
Keyboard / Mouse: G15 keyboard, G5 mouse
DVD/CD: Samsung 18X DVD+-R DVD Burner
OS: MS Windows Vista Home Premium


All looks good, now just add these two. :lol: 
1) Dell UltraSharp 30 inch Widescreen Digital Flat Panel: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us...
* Gaming will never be the same :lol: 
2) Seagate Barracuda ES ST3750640NS 750GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
* More storage is always good :lol: 

=============================
* Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (No OC)
* Tt Orb II Blue Cooler
* ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512MB DDR3
* ASUS P5B-VM with Tt LANBox microATX case
* 2x1GB, PC2-4300, CL=3-3-3-8, Geil Ultra Low Latency
* Ultra 550Watt (Ultra X2 550-Watt with UV & SLI ready)
* 1.5TB Seagate RAID 0
* 160GB WD Raptor X
* Lite-On 16x DVD/CD Writer with LightScribe
* TrackIR 4 Pro
* Cougar HOTAS
* Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP LCD
=============================
"One Can Never Have Enough"

Cheers! 8)
March 21, 2007 2:59:24 PM

BACKUP DRIVE. Get a backup drive. If one of those RAID 0 drives goes down, he's SCREWED. All gone, buh bye. OS and programs can be reinstalled, but data is irreplaceable.

For 5K, not getting a data drive is blasphemous.

He'll wish he spent the $100 in the first place if his drive craps out, trust me.
March 21, 2007 3:30:45 PM

Quote:
BACKUP DRIVE. Get a backup drive. If one of those RAID 0 drives goes down, he's SCREWED. All gone, buh bye. OS and programs can be reinstalled, but data is irreplaceable.

For 5K, not getting a data drive is blasphemous.

He'll wish he spent the $100 in the first place if his drive craps out, trust me.


I couldn't agree more. That's why a 750GB comes in for storage and backup, in addition to his 2xRaptor RAID 0 OS drive. :wink:
March 21, 2007 10:16:38 PM

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700
ASUS Stryker Extreme
Corsair Dominator XMS2 Dominator DDR2 1142
eVGA 8800GTX KO (x2)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
PC Power & Cooling 1kW Quad PSU
CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Evo
Western Digital Raptor 150GB (x4)
Noctua NH-U12F
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Razer DeathAdder Gaming Mouse
Samsung 18X DVD+-R DVD Burner
Micro$oft Window$ Vi$ta Ultimate x64

Tell your "friend" that if he is dropping 5K on a rig to learn the stuff himself. Anyone who drops that kind of cash on a rig and doesn't have the resources to get online and do some research shouldn't be spending that much money on a computer.

P.S. I editted the list.
!