glacio

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
I just read the guide on overclocking dual cores on the sticky and was wondering if I followed this guide line by life will my E6400 have 2,6ghz performance or am I just not understanding anything :oops: . If not 2.6ghz what would be the end results?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
As you're new to the THG Forums, please be sure to post your system spec's when asking for assistance, since no one will be able to offer you accurate answers based upon speculation.

2.6 Ghz is a very moderate OC for an E6400. Typical is 2.8 to 3.2, so you read it right. It's alot of information, so go over it a few more times, then give it a try. If you get stuck, there are many knowlegable users on this Forum who can help you over the hurdles.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

CompuTronix

Intel Master
At around 2.6ghz-2.8ghz would extra cooling be needed?

glacio, the short answer to your question is probably not, however, keep the following in mind:

C2D's have nearly 300,000,000 transistors, and every silicon nano-circuit is unique. Each has different basic properties of electronics such as resistance, capacitance, inductance, impedance, and transconductance. Although two consecutive serial number CPU's from the same batch fabrication, with the same stepping codes, may appear identical, they're yielded from different location on the silicon wafer from which they're manufactured, and like diamonds, each has it's own unique flaws.

Even though their dynamic operational characteristics may be very similar, no two CPU's will overclock to exactly the same stable maximum speed, at the same Vcore, at the same temperature. Additionally, in a dual core processor, one core will always become unstable before the other. Successful overclocking is achieved through small increments, and takes a great deal of time and patience.

Check out the following Sticky for info regarding C2D overclocking:

Core2Duo Overclocking Guide v1.1

Also, check out the following Sticky for info regarding C2D temps:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)