So, I have this desktop I built 2 years ago. While I probably won't be upgrading within the next few months, I'm curious about your thoughts for upgrading today. Here's my system as of now.
* Gigabyte 8AENXP-D Motherboard
* Pentium 4 640 3.2 Ghz Processor
* 3.00 RAM (2x 1GB, 2x 512MB | 533 Mhz)
* nVidia Geforce 6800GT Based Video Card w/ 256MB RAM
* 5x Hitachi Hard Drives (2x 80GB, 2x 250GB, 1x 250GB eSATA)
* 2x Plextor PX-716SA DVD Burners
* ThermalTake Kandalf Case
* Corsair COOL Water Cooling System
* ThermalTake PurePower 500W Power Supply
Here's my thoughts right now...
* I think the only things I'd have to upgrade would be my motherboard and processor. That said, see below.
* I don't think my drives are SATA II. I know the benefits of SATA II over SATA I are pretty minimal, even though statistically speaking, it should be twice as fast. I do a lot of video editing, audio recording, and other high production work. I currently have this setup in two sets of RAID0. While I want SATA II in a future board, I don't think I will upgrade the drives immediately.
* I'd like to be able to use my current RAM with whatever new board I get. It's not the fastest RAM available, but it does fine for me so far.
* I think the processor is where I'm wanting to upgrade the most. 3.2Ghz is fast, but with my new 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo IN MY LAPTOP, it's clearly the superior processor. I've already noticed the dual-core advantage especially with the amount of multitasking and production I do.
* In a motherboard, I would like to have the following: At least 4 SATA ports. I know with SATA II, I can use expander modules. This current board has 8 ports on two controllers. Keep in mind I have 7 drives to hook up. 2x Ethernet ports. Plenty of USB and Firewire (A & B). SLI support isn't necessary. I don't play games often, but when I do, my current laptop is doing just fine. Integrated (or bundled) wireless and bluetooth would be a plus, but neither necessary. [/list]
* I could use this same video card. I may upgrade it down the road, but it's a good card.
Soo, spit out your motherboard and processor recommendations.. and any other thoughts you have!
Now the answer to your question really depends on what you want to spend. You would really be better off waiting a few months till intel makes the price suts and you can get the processor I sent you link for for around 300 dollars. And intel will also have a new chip set out that should be able to support future processors better. I do think from what you like to do and what you said that you would like the quad core because of the multitasking you said you like to do. or if you were going to do now and did not want to over clock or spend as much money as you have to for quad you could get the E6600 Conroe this is a dual core.
ok, I am pretty sure you have ddr2-533 RAM which is good, most people wat to upgrade with ddr-400, very limiting.
Still you won't get full use out of a fast CPE like the e6600, it which cry out for ddr2-800 or faster if you overclock. An e4300 will run almost perfect on your RAM, someone else can tell you the math on it.
You have a really good motherboard, I never seen one with 6 RAM slots and Dual memory support. But it does not support Core2Duo. I will suggest a newer Gigabyte MB GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P965