Sign in with
Your question

Need a new power supply but have no idea where to start.

Last response: in Components
March 21, 2007 4:34:00 AM

I came home after school today to find a totaly dead computer. After some tests I determined my PSU is shot which I wasn't too suprised about since it was a POS anyways. I need it pretty much tomorrow so I plan to run to my local Comp USA and pick one up, the one I'm eyeing online is this, can someone tell me if I'm looking in the right direction? Specs are in my sig if you need em.
March 21, 2007 4:58:17 AM

Seems to be sufficient enough to me, your heading in the right direction but to receive any recommendations I'd need a budget to work with. (Please specify currency as well.)
March 21, 2007 5:03:06 AM

Oh my bad, I forgot to include it. I'm aiming for no more than $125USD.
Related resources
March 21, 2007 5:16:08 AM

Its a decent psu, but there are better alternatives out there. Like this one for example, fits your budget, higher quality, and more power.
March 21, 2007 6:10:55 AM

Though I will admit the Corsair 520W is a very good PSU, from what I've read (it is made by Seasonic), that's not necessarily available at an actual physical drive to it sorta store.

The Thermaltake 550W is a good PSU, it should serve your purposes well. For the price, you could get a higher watt PSU from an online store, but if you want it tomorrow a local store is your best bet, and that comes with higher prices.

Your video card isn't beefy, so most of your draw comes from the CPU, which draws quite a bit for a CPU. Still, your whole machine will not be using more than 350W or so peak. The higher wattage allows you to upgrade, though, so it makes sense.
March 23, 2007 12:05:48 AM

i agree with "apt403" . The Thermaltake might be cheaper and you might be able to get a higher wattage psu, but I recommend you go Corsair. Like what joex444 said, the corsair psu's are made by Seasonic. All the Seasonic psu's are dead quite with high quality components, so I suggest you go with Corsair
!