my Audiovox PPC4100 has a permanent frozen screen

June 17, 2005 3:44:06 AM

Hi all,
below you can read the trouble I have been encountering with my new PDA just
received from the USA (I'm italian). I tried to describe the situation as
best as I could. If someone among you all can send "enlightning", that would
be greatly appreciated. So thanks in advance.

ANdrea

Hi,
at the begining of this week I received the two PDA associated with the
following item numbers: [...]. After charging 'em up for more than 8 hours
each, one of those seems to have unsolveable problems.

** UNDER THE HOOD **
01) when I turn it on, the AT&T Audiovox logo shows on screen, then after a
few seconds a new image takes place showing the message "Tap on screen to
proceed". I do, but nothing switches.

02) Then it automatically moves on, presenting the ALIGN SCREEN upper
message, with its cross-shape target in the centre and the message "Tap the
target centre firmly and accurately. The target will move automatically to
perfom screen alignment". Most of the time the cross remains at the screen
centre without moving at all, or at least it places itself at the upper left
corner. On the contrary, once it happend that the target covered each screen
corner without I tapped it by using the stylus!

03) I tried to SOFT reset the device, but problems remained. I attempted
HARD resets, and troubles didnt disappeared. I even tried to re-run screen
aligment (by pressing the OFF button at the same time with the jog dial, as
described on the user guide), but mostly I was not successful.

04) Only once it happened that I completed the screen alignment procedure
correctly, but after a few minutes the PDA stopped responding properly:
icons selection became more and more inaccurate, menu pop-up windows
selected and deselected themselves without getting tapped by my stylus, and
so on.

** THE OTHER PDA **
The second PPC started working perfectly from the very first moment. By
means of that I was able to surf its folders, make phone calls, play the
games, set palm settings, and more. In order to make a call, I had to
"remove" the lock set by AT&T. The same I did with the defective PPC at the
very beginning.

** WHAT'S NEXT? **
I wonder what's left to be done to succeed in make this device run properly.
I tried to follow any suspected usefull instruction on the user guide, but
no advantages so far. I also wonder if there's the way to get the PPC
operating system reinstalled by me, as sometimes it is done to desktop PC's.
Please note that I have done nothing more than the actions I wrote you now,
besides changing many SIM card to each PPC to check out proper devices
functionality. Of course I also installed on my laptop ActiveSync to allow
communications to the PPC via USB cradle. No other applications have been
installed on either device. BTW, my PC features WinXP home edition.

** CONCLUSIONS **
That's all. I do hope sending back your product is the last option possible.
If that is really the case, however, I will do so right away. Just let me
know what to do and how.

Regards.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:44:07 AM

Try a hard reset of the problem machine. It should tell you how to do it in
the manual or contact the makers.

"Dott. Ing. Andrea NOTARI" <anotari@libero.it> wrote in message
news:o %234yIyrcFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> properly. I tried to follow any suspected usefull instruction on the user
> guide, but no advantages so far. I also wonder if there's the way to get
> the PPC operating system reinstalled by me, as sometimes it is done to
> desktop PC's.
> Please note that I have done nothing more than the actions I wrote you
> now, besides changing many SIM card to each PPC to check out proper
> devices functionality. Of course I also installed on my laptop ActiveSync
> to allow communications to the PPC via USB cradle. No other applications
> have been installed on either device. BTW, my PC features WinXP home
> edition.
>
> ** CONCLUSIONS **
> That's all. I do hope sending back your product is the last option
> possible. If that is really the case, however, I will do so right away.

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:01:28 PM

Sounds like a digitiser problem - it probably needs a repair, which means
find a competent repair in Italy (hardly the case since the model is
probably not available there) or sending it back to the USA for fix.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp

> [...]
> properly. I tried to follow any suspected usefull instruction on the user
> guide, but no advantages so far. I also wonder if there's the way to get
> the PPC operating system reinstalled by me, as sometimes it is done to
> desktop PC's.
> Please note that I have done nothing more than the actions I wrote you
> now, besides changing many SIM card to each PPC to check out proper
> devices functionality. Of course I also installed on my laptop ActiveSync
> to allow communications to the PPC via USB cradle. No other applications
> have been installed on either device. BTW, my PC features WinXP home
> edition.
>
> ** CONCLUSIONS **
> That's all. I do hope sending back your product is the last option
> possible. If that is really the case, however, I will do so right away.

June 17, 2005 2:01:29 PM

Hi Mauricio,
for my own knowledge: what do you mean exactly with a "digitiser problem"?

ANdrea

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
news:o 8H3n7rcFHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> properly. I tried to follow any suspected usefull instruction on the user
>> guide, but no advantages so far. I also wonder if there's the way to get
>> the PPC operating system reinstalled by me, as sometimes it is done to
>> desktop PC's.
>> Please note that I have done nothing more than the actions I wrote you
>> now, besides changing many SIM card to each PPC to check out proper
>> devices functionality. Of course I also installed on my laptop ActiveSync
>> to allow communications to the PPC via USB cradle. No other applications
>> have been installed on either device. BTW, my PC features WinXP home
>> edition.
>>
>> ** CONCLUSIONS **
>> That's all. I do hope sending back your product is the last option
>> possible. If that is really the case, however, I will do so right away.

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:27:48 AM

The digitiser (or digitizer for fellow US English speakers) is the part of
the touch screen that "feel" when you touch the screen and send this
information to input controls... Sometimes it fails and then touch screen
won't work at all or completely out of alignment.

> [...]
>>> I wonder what's left to be done to succeed in make this device run
>>> properly. I tried to follow any suspected usefull instruction on the
>>> user guide, but no advantages so far. I also wonder if there's the way
>>> to get the PPC operating system reinstalled by me, as sometimes it is
>>> done to desktop PC's.
>>> Please note that I have done nothing more than the actions I wrote you
>>> now, besides changing many SIM card to each PPC to check out proper
>>> devices functionality. Of course I also installed on my laptop
>>> ActiveSync to allow communications to the PPC via USB cradle. No other
>>> applications have been installed on either device. BTW, my PC features
>>> WinXP home edition.
>>>
>>> ** CONCLUSIONS **
>>> That's all. I do hope sending back your product is the last option
>>> possible. If that is really the case, however, I will do so right away.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:51:23 AM

Mauricio,
do you think that it involves only the HW side of the device, or the matter
may concern the management by the operative system? If the latter is the
case, would you suggest to instal again win CE onto such a machine?

Andrea

> The digitiser (or digitizer for fellow US English speakers) is the part of
> the touch screen that "feel" when you touch the screen and send this
> information to input controls... Sometimes it fails and then touch screen
> won't work at all or completely out of alignment.

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 1:55:49 PM

It is probably the hardware. When you do a hard reset you are basically
reinstalling the whole OS from the image in ROM. So that would be the the
option you wanted, but didn't fix the problem.

!