connecting wireless router to a hardwired router

berzerk

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Hello all;

I'm trying to connect a wireless router, AIRLINK101 MIMOXR AR6525W to one of the ports on an 8-port LINKSYS BEFSR81 (as seen in this image: http://www.nfluxsolutions.com/o.gif ) but not sure how to go about doing so. The Linksys sits in the garage along with the modem and we would like to occasionally use the wireless router and have the ability to shut it off when it's not in use. Two notebooks (possibly more) will be accessing the wireless router from time to time. Where should I begin? I tried searching the forumz but it's hard to pinpoint.

Regards,
R

grafton

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
heres the problem, you can simply put the cat5 cable on the wan port of your wireless access point and the to one of the lan ports on our router, but you wont be able to access any other computers on your lan unless they are behind the wireless routers NAT firewall, personally i use a reg access point along with a wire router the access point doesn't have a a firewall and only one rj45 port to connect into a network

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You want to convert your Airlink to an access point only. Go into the config of the airlink and turn off DHCP services. Then, connect one of the LAN ports on the Airlink to one of the LAN ports on the Linksys. The Airlink should now act as a wired switch and wireless AP for the network served by your Linksys router.