Sign in with
Your question

Extra cooling GeForce 8800GTS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 21, 2007 5:06:07 AM

Hi,
I've 8800GTS SLi and both clinged with 8800GTS Accetel EK Waterblocks running with FluidXP+ Ext under Reserator2. Eventhough temperature idles at 60*C ~ 64*C. Is there any thermal pad or any other thing that I should on top of video card backside to help reduce temperature a little more?? I'm not even overclocking them!! Any idea???

=========================================================================================
Setup ABIT IN9 32X MAX MotherBoard /\/\/ Intel E6600 2.4GHz Processor /\/\/ 2 x Kingston 1GB 800 DDR2 RAM /\/\/ 3 x Seagate 750GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive /\/\/ 2 x HP LightScribe Dual Layer DVDRW /\/\/ 2 x NVidia GeForce 8800GTS (SLi) Videocard /\/\/ CreativeLabs X-FI Fidel1ty XtremePro SoundCard
Cooled By: Zalman Reserator 2 ==> Eheim 1240 Pump ==> Zalman ZM-WB3 GOLD ==> ThermalTake AquaBay M3 Reservoir ==> 2 x EK WaterBlocks 8800GTS Accetel blocks
Powered By: BFG 1000W PSU In: Gigabyte 3D Aurora GZ-FSCA1-ANB Case ========================================================================================
March 21, 2007 5:59:41 AM

good job :) . Mine idles at 55*, with stock cooling :)  (changed the TMI to Zalman STG-1 though).

Is there a way to stick a horizontally oriented blower fan between the cards?
works like a charm when its positioned right under a stock 8800GTS, could help you too with all that heat radiated by PCBs
March 21, 2007 6:06:45 AM

No man, I'm pretty sure he's talking about hypothetical thermal pads than one can stick onto the back of the PCB to keep it cool.

What he needs though, is a little air movement in there. Probably has a bunch of heatsinks on the VRAM chips, voltage regulators and that purevideochip, but what good are they if the hot air is trapped between the cards :wink:
Related resources
March 21, 2007 6:11:54 AM

yeah. Watercooling is great, provided that you still have adequate airflow (which means that the noise problem is still there), but, the main advantage of it - is the short temperature range between idle and load that it can maintain. Not that 8800GTS has any problems with that. In my case, the delta between idle and load is like .....umm...15 degrees.
March 21, 2007 1:44:50 PM

Quote:
No man, I'm pretty sure he's talking about hypothetical thermal pads than one can stick onto the back of the PCB to keep it cool.

yeah, thats what I meant. But I'll try to put PCI placement fan. I had to sacrifice my CreativeLabs X-FI Fidel1ty XtremePro SoundCard :cry: 

================================================== =====
ABIT IN9 32X MAX MotherBoard /\/\/ Intel E6600 2.4GHz Processor /\/\/ 2 x Kingston 1GB 800 DDR2 RAM /\/\/ 3 x Seagate 750GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive /\/\/ 2 x HP LightScribe Dual Layer DVDRW /\/\/ 2 x NVidia GeForce 8800GTS (SLi) Videocard /\/\/ CreativeLabs X-FI Fidel1ty XtremePro SoundCard
Cooled By: Zalman Reserator 2 ==> Eheim 1240 Pump ==> Zalman ZM-WB3 GOLD ==> ThermalTake AquaBay M3 Reservoir ==> 2 x EK WaterBlocks 8800GTS Accetel blocks