uninstall failed Windows 2000 Pro upgrade

In upgrading Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 Pro on our
second computer, I neglected to install new device drivers
first, and also found a few messages to the effect of "Set
up cannot copy the file -------." The install process
consequently became hung and I am unable to finish the
installation or even get back to the StartUp menu. How
can I reverse the partial install and re-install Win 98
without re-formatting my drive and losing everything?

Probably isn't possible. You can boot with your Win98 startup disk and issue
the command
sys C:
this will rewrite the win9x boot sector.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]