Replacing a Windows 2000 Server Domain Controller

Greetings:-

I want to replace our existing Win2K Domain Controller
with a new server. The existing server runs Exchange.

The new server will need to have the same name as the
existing one.

Can someone point me in the direction of an article that
discusses this scenario as I cannot find anything on
microsoft.com. that mentions having a server with the same
name.

Thanks
PCM

There are a couple of articles that will be helpful. The first one deals
with moving the Windows 2000/domain controller functions to different
hardware and the second one deals with moving Exchange. Use the first
article (moving Windows 2000) to perform step 4 in the second article
(moving Exchange) and you should be able to move to new hardware.

249694 How to move a Windows 2000 installation to different hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694

297289 How to move Exchange 2000 to new hardware and keep the same server
name
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297289

Mark Wilson [MS]
rights."
--------------------
| From: "PCM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Sender: "PCM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: Replacing a Windows 2000 Server Domain Controller
| Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 19:43:35 -0700
|
| Greetings:-
|
| I want to replace our existing Win2K Domain Controller
| with a new server. The existing server runs Exchange.
|
| The new server will need to have the same name as the
| existing one.
|
| Can someone point me in the direction of an article that
| discusses this scenario as I cannot find anything on
| microsoft.com. that mentions having a server with the same
| name.
|
| Thanks
| PCM

What you will want to do is setup a second domain controller with a
different name (obviously) alone with exchange and migrate all of your
exchange db information to the second DC temporarily. Remove Exchange
from your "old" server, demote, and remove it from the network.

Then install your "new" server, promote, install Exchange, then migrate
everything back to the "new" server.

Why aren't your running with two DC's anyway? That's baaaaaaaaaad
voodoo! :)