Deleting NTFS partition

I have a spare computer I want to use at my office. It had windows 2000 on it
previously, and it was uninstalled before I bought it. I want to install 98
on it to use for a spare workstation. However the primary dos partition is
only 8 MB and the NTFS partition is 39 Gigs. 98 is unable to use the NTFS
partition, so I want to delete the NTFS partition. The only partition that I
get the choice to delete is the primary dos partition. Any ideas?

norm

Go to bootdisk.com and get a dos boot disk image. Create a bootable
windows98 floppy, boot, run fdisk, delete non-dos (NTFS) partition and then
create your dos partition and format.

"John Logan" <John Logan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have a spare computer I want to use at my office. It had windows 2000 on
it
previously, and it was uninstalled before I bought it. I want to install 98
on it to use for a spare workstation. However the primary dos partition is
only 8 MB and the NTFS partition is 39 Gigs. 98 is unable to use the NTFS
partition, so I want to delete the NTFS partition. The only partition that I
get the choice to delete is the primary dos partition. Any ideas?

Thank you Norm, I'm going to try it just like that.

"Norm" wrote:

> Go to bootdisk.com and get a dos boot disk image. Create a bootable
> windows98 floppy, boot, run fdisk, delete non-dos (NTFS) partition and then
> create your dos partition and format.
>
> "John Logan" <John Logan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a spare computer I want to use at my office. It had windows 2000 on
> it
> previously, and it was uninstalled before I bought it. I want to install 98
> on it to use for a spare workstation. However the primary dos partition is
> only 8 MB and the NTFS partition is 39 Gigs. 98 is unable to use the NTFS
> partition, so I want to delete the NTFS partition. The only partition that I
> get the choice to delete is the primary dos partition. Any ideas?

Hi John

If the NTFS partition is a logical drive within an extended partition, you
will run into an infinite loop trying to delete the Non-DOS partition using
fdisk utility (will say that you cannot delete Extended DOS partition
because Logical drives exist, and when you take the option to view Logical
drives it will say that there are none). If this happens, then d/load the
delpart.exe partitioning tool onto the WIN98 startup floppy disk:
http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm
When you boot from the startup disk, invoke delpart.exe from the command
prompt and use it to delete the partitions.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User