not recognizable as an internal or external comand

I just upgraded a Win 98 laptop to 2000 Professional.
After updating drivers, everything seems fine. However,
when I try to run ipconfig (and other command line
programs), I get ipconfig is not a recognizable as an
internal or external command. HELP!!!

Control Panel|System|Advanced|Environment Variables|System Variables and
make sure that "Path" has
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%
at least somewhere in the string.

Also check that "Path" found at
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
is a type Reg_Expand_Sz string and not type Reg_Sz

You can run Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Backup, then choose ERD, then
if you check the box for "Also backup....", then the reg will also be backed
up to
%windir%\repair\RegBack
leaving the
%windir%\repair\
directory files intact as original installation.

Then close all programs, run regedit, navigate to
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
rename the Reg_Sz string "Path" to "Pathx" Then run regedt32, navigate to
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
double-click on Pathx, then right-click|Copy the string then from the menu;
Edit|Add Value
Value Name:=Path
Data Type:=REG_EXPAND_SZ
OK
then paste the string (copied from Pathx) in the string editor text box.
OK
Should be ok to delete the old value "Pathx" Close regedit, and regedt32,
restart for effect.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"patc" wrote:
|I just upgraded a Win 98 laptop to 2000 Professional.
| After updating drivers, everything seems fine. However,
| when I try to run ipconfig (and other command line
| programs), I get ipconfig is not a recognizable as an
| internal or external command. HELP!!!

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"patc" wrote:
>|I just upgraded a Win 98 laptop to 2000 Professional.
>| After updating drivers, everything seems fine. However,
>| when I try to run ipconfig (and other command line
>| programs), I get ipconfig is not a recognizable as an
>| internal or external command. HELP!!!
>

>.

Thanks for the response, I tried your suggestions (editing
the System Variable and the registry), but I continue to
have the same problem. In addition, I can not execute the
ping command or the convert. I have about 20 of these
upgrades to do and I'm worried.

Upgrades almost always fail for one reason or another. What happens if you
first navigate to;
\winnt
or
\winnt\system32