Drive not ready message on shutdown

vonagio

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
When i shutdown the computer it displays the message: "Drive not ready, the drive is not ready for use; it's door may be open. Please check drive A: and make sure that a disk is inserted and that the drive door is closed. (options: Cancel, Try again, Continue)"

This comes up after the blue logging off... screen and during the shutting down... screen.

I started getting this error after i removed the floppy drive from the system last week, no other changes (hardware/software) have been made since then. All other wires in the case are inserted correctly. I am going to try reisntalling the floppy to see if the message goes away (I don't want to have it permenantly installed though).

Does anyone know what is happening of how i can fix it?

My specs are (just incase):
MSI K9N AM2 mobo
4200+ (@ 2.75)
Maxtor 250GB SATA
7900GT (@ 550, 1600)
500W Antec Neo
IDE DVD
No name OEM floppy drive (not installed anymore)

Thanks

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
disable floppy drive in system properties and restart a few times.

Whatever program is looking for the floppy will either stop when the system tells the program that there is no floppy or it will give you an error and tell you which program is having issues.

vonagio

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Do you mean disabling the floppy drive in device manager? Well I've done that a few times and it didn't make any difference. What would want to access the floppy drive on Windows shutdown?

Also the message doesnt come up when the floppy is reinstalled (obviously, because it can find it now).

I've now managed to stop the error message totally, and the floppy drive controller (and/or the floppy drive itself) isn't shown in device manager any more, after disabling the floppy controller in the BIOS. I had read somewhere else that this didn't stop the error, but obviously it does for me!

Thanks for your help anyway

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
antivirus would be the first thing off the top of my head. it almost always checks the floppy drive. other than that theres no telling.

you should be able to disable that feature somewhere in your antivirus options.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I just got that same message about the floppy when it was shutting down. the only thing I had done different was that I had uninstalled norton security suite and was restarting.

vonagio

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Do you ever use the floppy? Try disabling it in the BIOS, that solved it for me. Or try uninstalling/disabling it in the device manager...

Sandmanwm: Thats very strange, I'm using Nod32 if that makes any difference. There's no option that has anything to do with floppy drives in its configuration. Nevermind, its gone for good now (hopefully!).

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Sounds like an error message caused by a sticky micro-sw. Your drive thinks that it senses a floppy, (SW closed) after the floppy has been removed. So probably floppy detect sw is stuck closed. Its normally on the upper far left of the drive and can usually be fixed by 'flipping' the sw. a time or two.

Also there are some electronic cleaner sprays available. But a new drive is cheaper than a can of say, tuner cleaner....

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I've now managed to stop the error message totally, and the floppy drive controller (and/or the floppy drive itself) isn't shown in device manager any more, after disabling the floppy controller in the BIOS. I had read somewhere else that this didn't stop the error, but obviously it does for me!

Thanks for your help anyway

He fixed it so you guys can quit with the suggestions.. :wink:

Glad to see you got it working.