Unable to login to Win 2000 Prof after copying drive to ne..

I have a nearly new Hard Drive (Maxtor) that started
getting SMART errors. I have received a new one under
warrantly, and used Partition Magic to copy all existing
drivers partitions over "as is". I have set the new
primary partition active and used Recovery Consoles
fixboot & fixmbr to gain bootable access to the drive
properly.
However, although it boots to the log in screen OK, when
logging in, it clears the login box, plays the login tune
and then after a short wat, brings back the login box and
the cycle repeats.
This happens if I use safe mode, alternate login's & last
known good configuration.
I am somwhat dumbfounded as to how to resolve. As all the
partitions check out ok and are accessible when booted off
another hard drive.
Can anyone shine a light ?

This article may help.

Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
;249321]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];249321

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional