Sign in with
Your question

Vista problems, maybe an upgrade, but what?

Last response: in CPUs
March 21, 2007 1:27:55 PM

Hey all.
This is a kind of mixed question.

I have board myself a Windows Vista licens, and when I wanted to install it onto my machine which is running raid mirror I ran into a lot of trouble.

First problem is, my motherboard is a little old, its a Lanparty NFII with a NF4 raid controller. At first I thought Vista had found the drivers itself because it could detect the raid and the partitions, even let me select a primary one and install on it. But after reboot I got an I/O error.

Now I searched for hours to find NF4 raid controller drivers for Vista 64bit, found some which the poster claimed worked. Vista didnt disagree, but after running them it said it couldnt find any disk at all and kicked me to the start of the install.

Along the way Vista destroyed one of my partitions and I had to rebuild the raid to even get to install XP on it.

First question I have is, should I stay away from installing on the Lanparty NFII?? Is it to old?

If I need to upgrade I dont mind that much, but would like to be able to keep some of my hardware.
Atm im running AMD64 3Ghz, 2 x WD Sata raid disks, 1 x Nvidia 7900GTX, 2 x Corsair XMS PC3200 and the motherboard I mentioned.

If I gotta upgrade im looking for a motherboard which does have drivers for the raid controllers, and a link to them besides from that I would like to have a motherboard which can run with my current hardware, but I would like to change the CPU to a Intel Core 2 Duo, if that possible.

I dont know if it is, with the ram I got, hope you guys can help me here.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
Jacob

More about : vista problems upgrade

March 21, 2007 2:07:28 PM

Perhaps this might help you out, I dunno:

Vista will not install on NF4 RAID!?!

There is a part where someone (sir moe) had made somewhat of a mod to help install a driver that should work better in installing Vista.

Quote:
------------THIS IS ONLY FOR NF4 RAID AND VISTA X86-----------

rapidshare.com/files/411...raid_boot_mod.7z

Copy extracted files on floppy
Run make floppy.

Boot to bios set first boot as floppy then dvd rom

Have floppy inserted and vista cd in drive.

Remove floppy when prompted and continue with vista install.

Once u reach the vista install put the floppy back in. It MUST be in the drive for the next restart. Then remove the floppy when prompted.

This way is simple and it works

Other methods here
www.nforcershq.com/forum...ide-vt66299.html

Hope that helps. GL
March 21, 2007 2:16:17 PM

Sorry for not knowing this, but does the x86 mean that the this method will also work with the 64bit version? :) 
Related resources
March 21, 2007 2:29:52 PM

:oops:  . o O (oooph, no..)

I even downloaded the file, but the extention is .7z? I was going to see if there was a read me file in it... heh.

Edit: Err, it opens with Winrar, though no readme file.

But I was reading some, on the link it provided:

Vista and nForce4 SataRaid - an installation guide

It includes a guide for both x86 and 64 bit.

Note* Last edited by Fernando 1 on Wed Mar 21, 2007
March 21, 2007 5:38:39 PM

Well thats the Guide I followed :(  Those inf files he links to are the ones which made my Vista say it couldnt find the harddrive.

Then he says its possible to get them from Nvidias page, but they have only exe files, so I cant get the inf files from that :( 
March 21, 2007 9:34:23 PM

Have you considered buying an add-in card instead of replacing the whole motherboard? It's just a thought.
March 22, 2007 5:35:23 AM

I presume you mean a motherboard with NVIDIA nForce 650i, but isnt that also an Nvidia raid controller? And how do I get drivers for that one?

Do they ship the board with Vista drivers on a disk, or?

I have looked a little at ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus AiLifestyle Series, maybe with 2 x 1 GB of Corsair XMS2 and that Core 2 Duo.
March 22, 2007 6:47:26 AM

Bluecom do you have any other hard drives connected to your motherboard besides the drives in the RAID array? I have installed Vista x64 on an Asus A8N-E and also an M2N-E and Vista has native RAID drivers for both.

BUT Vista refused to install if I had any other hard drives connected besides the RAID configured drives.
March 22, 2007 6:55:23 AM

I only have my 2 WD raid drives in a mirror raid.

I think my problem is I dont have the correct inf driver files for the raid controller :-/ cause after trying to load the special ones it says it cant find the harddisk nomore.

Aparently Nvidia hasnt supplied MS with drivers for the NF4 raid controller before cutoff, so thats why Vista doesnt support it out of the box :( 
March 22, 2007 7:36:18 AM

These are all Windows XP drivers :-/ how do they work together with Vista?
March 22, 2007 7:38:45 AM

After a bit of googling someone was saying they used those drivers under Vista (the ones listed for WinXP 64 bit edition)

It's worth a shot although I have my doubts they will work.

edit: wait, does your board have the Sil3114 controller? I'm confused as what mobo you actually have.
March 22, 2007 7:54:06 AM

I have a DFI Lanparty NFII atm with a NF4 raid controller.

I have tryed to google for raid controller driver for it, found the guide linked to ealier and tryed getting the inf files he links to, but those were the ones where Vista said it couldnt find the disk after.

Then the guide says use the ones from Nvidias site, but thats only exe files you get, and I dont know how to get the needed files out of that.
March 22, 2007 9:00:28 AM

God why bother??? What is Vista giving you but a headache?

M 8)
March 22, 2007 9:14:47 AM

hehe, well I would like to try it now that I have a licens ;) 

But right now it is giving me a headache :?

But I thought then I could combine a minor Pc upgrade with trying Vista.
March 22, 2007 10:04:54 AM

Quote:
I have a DFI Lanparty NFII atm with a NF4 raid controller.

I have tryed to google for raid controller driver for it, found the guide linked to ealier and tryed getting the inf files he links to, but those were the ones where Vista said it couldnt find the disk after.

Then the guide says use the ones from Nvidias site, but thats only exe files you get, and I dont know how to get the needed files out of that.

listen.. your board cannot have nf4 raid.. it is a nforce2 chipset, which means that nforce4 wasnt created yet..

Look at the board to see which RAID controller you have. It may be a SataLink, a promise or anoother, but it is for sure not a nf4. So it is perfectly normal that your driver won't work.
March 22, 2007 10:34:37 AM

Hmm..
Your right actually :)  I forgot I sold that machine with the Lanparty NFII and build one similar in the same tower with a Lanparty NF4.

Which is probably why my floppy disk says NF4 raid controller driver ;) 

Doesnt change any of the facts in this post though. Cause DFI dont have any drivers at their page where they state its for Vista 64bit.

They say its for Windows 64bit on some of them, but I dont know if those will work with Vista :( 

Got some like this:
"Image of RAID Driver for NF3 and NF4 under Windows x64. Execute directly to copy files under win32/64 onto floppy diskette for installation"
but I dont know if thats for Vista
March 22, 2007 4:44:08 PM

Is THIS your motherboard? Is your motherboard an Nforce2 or Nforce4 based mobo?
March 22, 2007 7:12:00 PM

This is my current board.
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r...

But I kinda sold the motherboard and ram now :p 

I am going for Core 2 Duo instead now.
Which board would be the right one to pick if I wanna install Vista 64 bit on it with a raid??

Looked at ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus AiLifestyle Series, and 2 x 1 GB of Corsair XMS2.

I hope you guys have some inputs :) 
March 22, 2007 7:15:23 PM

Really can't go wrong with a new system, especially in a lil over a month (April 22).

Might help for the other guys to add input on what you do with your system, and why RAID is important to you.
March 22, 2007 7:18:33 PM

Why wait a month?

I am running a mirror raid because I have alot of sensitive data on my drive which I would be very sad if I lost. I nearly lost it once because my Seagate drive (Which I loved until that day) pretty much died on me.

I have been running raid mirror ever since, and it allready saved my ass once, which is why I rather not run without it again.
March 22, 2007 7:31:56 PM

Price cuts are going to happen in April.

So, for example on one price, the E4300 you can get now for around $170 bucks. If you wait in April, it should be around $113 bucks.

I understand that you'd use that RAID, but I'm sure everyone had data that they would be sad if they lost. To me, its more ideal for mirror raids to be run for companies that require their data be accessible 24/7.

I don't use mirror raid, but RAID 0 for performance. I use an external drive to back up my system, using nero.

I guess what I ment for more input, is if you use your PC as general surfing or mild-heavy gamer and so on, as far as the way you use your PC.
March 22, 2007 7:36:23 PM

Well I use it for alot of gamming, most WoW.
Ofcourse for surfing.

Besides from that I develop a fair bit of code on it, and run photoshop aswell.

Well ofcourse I could probably live without the raid if I made a good backup rutine on an external drive, but still now I have the raid disk, I dont feel like not using them just because there is no drivers for Vista for my current board :-(
March 22, 2007 7:41:22 PM

I would suggest getting 3 hard drives. Run the first 2 in RAID0 for performance, and use the third to backup. Mirror your OS partition using TrueImage EVERYDAY to your third drive (it's very fast), and backup most everything else important onto your spare drive using something like Syncback.

And the most sensitive stuff, burn to DVD-R multiple copies.
March 22, 2007 7:56:01 PM

Sounds like an okay plan... but what about the motherboard and ram I posted what do you guys think about that?
March 22, 2007 8:01:15 PM

Prolly want to add what kind of budget you want to spend, and if you want or do not want to try OC'ing.

T800 does have a good option for you to try in a different Raid Config.
March 22, 2007 8:12:34 PM

Well im not gonna play with OC'ing, I want a 100% stable machine.

Im from Denmark, but was thinking of Motherboard+ram+cpu for around 785 Euro or somthing.

Thought of:
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus AiLifestyle Series
2 x 1 GB of Corsair XMS2
Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 GHz

not sure the parts are gonna be cheaper anytime soon in Denmark though
March 22, 2007 8:17:44 PM

Quote:
Im from Denmark, but was thinking of Motherboard+ram+cpu for around 785 Euro or somthing.

:oops:  . o O (oooph)

Heh, well didn't know your location.

Though, that MB and CPU combo looks good. Might save money on DRR2 533 or 667, instead of 800 since your not OC.
March 22, 2007 8:26:47 PM

Well the ram is not that expensive, so if this looks allright I wouldnt mind buying that little part of better ram :) 

But is there Vista drivers for that motherboard for sure? I mean so its possible to get a raid working :p 
March 22, 2007 8:34:09 PM

Well, since you can't order from NewEgg or such online sites, really hard to say what is available (part wise) for you to choose from.

If you don't OC, I'd say it's just a waste of money to get DDR2 800. :p 

I am helping my dad upgrade to a E4400, and paring it with DDR2 667 memory, with some OC'ing. The memory cost is, well ATM about 10 bucks. RAM prices are dropping, here in the USA.

But 10 bucks is 10 bucks saved. :D 

Edit:

About Vista 64bit.. well, I'm not sure.
March 22, 2007 8:53:15 PM

Well I gotta know if the motherboard can run with Vista 64 bit :-/
March 22, 2007 9:09:04 PM

Gogo Asus :D 

NVIDIA Raid Driver Package V1.16 for Windows 32 & 64bit Vista(WHQL).
March 22, 2007 9:11:56 PM

All I can say is, it should eventually. Vista is fairly new, you or anyone will run into problems as far as finding support for something.

But it doesn't mean you can't get your stuff, and run XP and wait till the support gets out there for different parts/drivers for Vista.

Edit:

I like Asus, but their website is soooo slow. :cry: 

Gratz on your raid drivers find.
!