E4300 will not go above 9*270Mhz!!!!! AAARGH!!

Hi,

Sorry I decided to start a new thread to keep everything in once place.

I am having real woes overclocking my E4300! Here is my setup

Gigabyte P965-DS3 rev 1 F10 + E4300
Tuniq Tower 120 + Artic 5
2gb Geil Ultra 800 4-4-4-12
Corsair HX520
PCI-E 6800 GT Xtreme 256
PCI Firewire card
PCI Usb card

OK now the problem:

2 weeks ago I only had the 1gig of RAM and I didnt have the firewire card. I got the system up to 2.7Ghz using the following setup:

VDRAM +0.1V
Vcore 1.35V (+0.025V)
Memory set to 1:1
9*300Mhz = 2.7Ghz
EVERYTHING ELSE AUTO (and all things that need to be disabled are off)

Temperatures were fine, <50c full load with TAT.

Then I added the Firewire card and it booted fine. Stable for the following week or two

Yesterday I added another gig of RAM (to bring me to 2gig) and stupidly I didnt revert to stock settings before installing it. I booted, and the motherboard did its usual trick of reducing back down to 200Mhz*9. It wouldnt then boot above about 9*240.

I upped the VDRAM to +0.2V and manually set the timigs to 4-4-4-12. That got me to 270*9. However when I tried to go further I got the bleeps and had to clear the CMOS.

Next I tried following the guide, set the timigs to 4-4-4-12, the FSB to +0.1v and the MCH to +0.1v and the VDRAM to +0.3v (2.1v). I tried to boot at 9*270 but it refused and went back to stock.

Whats going on here? Are my timings too tight?

W
6 answers Last reply
More about e4300 270mhz aaargh
  1. Yes, I would suggest loosening your timings a little to see if that will get the system stable.

Another thought I had is maybe the RAM isn't matched close enough to work together. If they didn't come in a kit, even RAM of the same model number might have different type chips that make up the module. Difference subtle enough that could cause these problems maybe.

EDIT: Try this first. One other suggestion. Try removing the firewire card. Crazy I know, but it COULD be the culprit. Maybe the PCI frequency isn't locking like it's supposed to. I've experienced that on several motherboards.
  2. Also try the different pairs of RAM alone.

then take voltage up to 1.4 and see if you can get a better OC

Hcf
  3. Still no luck. I put the RAM setting back to AUTO (SPD was setting it to 5-5-5-18 which seems OK?)

I removed both PCI cards, still wont boot above 9*270mhz
    I increased Vcore to 1.375, no difference
    I increased Vcore to 1.4, no differemce
    I tried setting the PCI-E freq to 100, no differemce (bleeps)
    I tried upping the PCI-E by +0.1V, no difference

I didnt try each RAM pair separately, as ultimately I need to use them together and I'm not buying new stuff,

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes (e.g. when I put Vcore to 1.4, it turns on, and seems like it loads windows (hdd lights, etc) but nothing comes on the screen at all - not even the GFX bios stuff... weird... Hard reset results in the same thing, OFF then ON brings the screen up again but settings go back to 9*200Mhz

I dont know what else to try now. Perhaps my RAM is not very well matched and 2.430Ghz is a good as I'm going to get?!? Booo!!

Warny
  4. Solved. Fixed the PCI-E freq to 105 (from some other thread). Currently running stable @ 9*333 :) and rising....

Knew it could do it :)

Thanks,

W
  5. OK highest stable setting like this is 9*350=3.150Ghz with STOCK settings aside from

vcore=1.35
    vdram=+0.3v
    PCI-E freq = 105

When I go to 360 I get errors with TAT. What should I raise next to keep going? Also should I try reducing vdram and vcore first as I dont actually know whether I need them to be raised - perhaps my problem was the PCI exp freq all along.

Cheers

W
  6. DANG -LOCK the PCI-E freq to 105??? Never heard of that one before. Was it suppose to be a fix for all motherboards or just yours?

I am stuck at 322 on an ASUS P5DWG2-WS-Pro and thought I was doing well since it is a 975x chipset. I am going to have to try that.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking