windows media 11 player melt down - ideas plz?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
anyone have any idea why - play lists would disappear a few at a time then all the music over a corase of days?

the wmp11 will not reload files - all the music is intact on the drive.

a full system restore, roll back did not restore it

roll back to wmp 10 all music is intact, reinstall wmp11 - no music?

could it be from DRM cd? all the music is legit and from cd's but it is on more the 1 machine.

the find music will not keep the settings and stays blank - reinstall it reappears then disappears

any ideas are appreciated!

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
As much as i hate to help idiots, i will help you.

Its probably because you have legal music on more than one machine. My wmp11 won't play my only cd, (50cent so i don't care :p ) but it plays all my limewire music no problem. :wink: The moral of the story is, don't pay for shit 8)

PS. How many copies of legal music do you have? I have 3 and it won't play them...

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
all the music 100% is legit from cd's - it is on more then one machine. - i think ms did something on the last update.

i wonder if it could have been triggered from a new cd - it was rise agianst(good music)

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
as far as being an idiot, only sometimes - you know when too! if your nice i tell you how you can load 100% of all cd's for free on any machine. who is the ......?

so u did not help me much, but at least if u piss me off again, i can turn you in for illeagle music! jokin! :twisted:

i pretty sure i know the answer and its drm issue with wmp 11

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
well, now that i think about it the play lists started disappearing first. they are still there but not in the media player - they will not load by any means play lists or music

i have about 800 cds they are all gone from wmp11- the library is empty. when i use find it just resets to nothing.

the music is still on my machine just not in the wmp11 which i like - i can roll back to wmp 10 (it looks so crappy compared to 11) and all the music is there.

reinstall wmpll - the source folders show up but it does not get the music then the source folders in the find utility disappear.

its either a unknown infection of some kind? or its ms? its probably a bug in the registry i just can't find any info on what it might be.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
well, now that i think about it the play lists started disappearing first. they are still there but not in the media player - they will not load by any means play lists or music

i have about 800 cds they are all gone from wmp11- the library is empty. when i use find it just resets to nothing.

the music is still on my machine just not in the wmp11 which i like - i can roll back to wmp 10 (it looks so crappy compared to 11) and all the music is there.

reinstall wmpll - the source folders show up but it does not get the music then the source folders in the find utility disappear.

its either a unknown infection of some kind? or its ms? its probably a bug in the registry i just can't find any info on what it might be.

HOLY SHIT! 8O

800 CD's ???? 8O

I have 1 cd, and i have like 700 songs total lol. That must have cost you a mint. 8)

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
old people buy cd's still - if u under 30 you might not have even bought one. i buy alot of used ones off amazon

if you down load songs you are missing so many good songs - u need to get the entire album - regardless of how u get it

downloading pay music is dumb with drm - download free music is risky - i not much of a thief anyways :p

to load music on your computer:

first get a free subscription to anydvd
down load it to your desktop
open it and it will decrypt for 15 days

it expires

when it does:
delete it - do not keep any records - it asks
disconnect from the Internet
reload it
disable the ET function - auto update
a new free trial!

As the other guys have suggested, it's from the DRM stuff. I'd make a few suggestions so that you'll never have to deal with this again:

1. Use a music player that does not support DRM so if you do get a DRM-infected file, it will simply just not play instead of fubar-ing up your system. I suggest Winamp.

2. Re-rip your CDs as a type that cannot have DRM, such as MP3, Ogg, or FLAC. WMA and AAC support DRM- don't use them.

Between the two, you should never, ever have a DRM problem again.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
maybe i try a new media player - i lov wmp 11 its so nice

yes, i can reload the music with decryption as i wrote above on a portable drive. i also loaded all my cd's on to dvd's - 10 dvds = 700-800 cd's - it takes a very long time to load music by dvd. portable drives are fast - 1-2 hours and its loaded by usb

you avoid the double and triple loading that way

the music is still all there as are the play lists they wont load into the library but they play fine???? weird?

ya if i reload it i think i will do itunes - since itunes need to be loaded by cd only - at least i heard that. not sure if decrypter will work with a esata for itunes.

this problem begin with my playlists disappearing it was many days later the music disappeared - i noticed it after i loaded a cd.

but the play lists disappeared before that with no cd's recently loaded

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
+1 for Winamp, I've noticed it uses less resources when in games and the like, WMP seems to play songs all jittery while gaming while Winamp is smooth as silk.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
you need crank up speed on that e4300 - what are u settings?

might be a bad install?

my son is on 560j 4ghz, singe core, playing 192 quad over sampled wma songs hes on guild wars on one monitor and instant chating on the other with 3 boxes

you must need more ram? or need more bandwidth

GenRabbit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
last time I used Winamp, it only played MP3 and a few other. Get mediamonkey. it plays FLAC, APE, MP3, MP4 and lots of others. low on resources and very quick. When it comes to sorting by artis, songname etc. It blows Winamp out of the water. Comes in free and pay version. The pay version opens two small nice functions that aint really necesary..

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i have been running wmp11 for months since the update are vista release or before? i have it on 2 machines.

weird - i think i got some kind of stealthy virus or a reg error of unknown type.

may have to contact ms o man - what torture

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Dragon,

They have given you the answer...

Did you recently add to your collection? It sounds like it.

How about when you ask for help and people give it you maybe, I don't know LISTEN?

I use FreeRip to rip my CDs. It is quick, has the same connectivity to DB as others, has a very small footprint 640K and rips to OGG or MP3 at variable rates up to 320, will normalize levels for you so your music volume is always the same..

Basically it will do all the things that the popular rippers do but is DRM Free freeware..

I third the use of winamp... As far as look goes you can skin it how you like!!

GenRabbit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Yes, but I prefer as few codecs as possible. I only have FFDSHOW for h264. So i use mediamonkey for music, and mediaplayer Clasic & VLC for movies. No Codecs installed. And thats the way I prefer it. And secondly my experience with winamp is that its slow. So i still prefer Mediamonkey.

McPhisto

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I'm with MU_Engineer and the others who recommend Winamp.
I find it far better to use than WMP and is more stable, from my experience.

I've never used MediaMonkey, so I can't make much of a statement about it. After looking at its home page, it looks pretty decent and has a lot of codecs built in.

Personally I use amaroK or Banshee which can play almost any kind of audio file, depending on the codecs that its backend player Xine is loaded with. Xine would ship loaded with every codec under the sun, but some have patent issues in certain locations (WMA, AAC, MP3) and such you have to add those codecs with another package if you live in areas with software patents. And if you correctly guessed that the U.S. has software patents, you win a cookie. The reason that some codecs are separate and hosted on non-U.S. servers is to protect the distributors of the software from possible legal flaps like the one Microsoft is receiving from Alcatel-Lucent over MP3s.

GenRabbit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Amarok and banshee looked good too. has what most people need. Although it looked like it only run on Linux/Unix. I'm on windows, but would like to skip if I could get all my games and newer games over to run on it without a huge hassle.

When it comes to ripping music CD's I do not use Mediamonkey. I use Easy CD-Extractor as I rip to APE, not MP3. I wan'ted no quality loss, so I go for a lossless format.

Finding the ripper was a big job. there were no low numbers of rippers out there. But they where either MP3 only, added spyware/adware, added IE tool bars(with their own spyware/adware) or other crap. Finally I ended on this as it had it all. WMA is a format I treat as the plague.

Winamp is nice enough. But its to simple. And running around looking for Codecs is not something I want. So I cannot recommend Winamp. Its to much a jack-of-all trades. plays MP3 well(somethin all of them do), but thats about it.

For those that hangs onto winamp because of plugins, Mediamonkey supports most of them. I use 1 winamp plugin in it now. The only one I needed. Also Mediamonkey lets you easy sort the music files after an awful lot of crierias, like Artist, album, music length. music format and so on. Running minimized it uses around 5mb of ram.

Amarok and banshee looked good too. has what most people need. Although it looked like it only run on Linux/Unix. I'm on windows, but would like to skip if I could get all my games and newer games over to run on it without a huge hassle.

Yeah, they're UNIX/Linux apps although if somebody worked enough, they could port both over to Windows as the GUI toolkits (Qt Designer and GTK+) run on Windows. They'd need to port Xine over to Windows also.

When it comes to ripping music CD's I do not use Mediamonkey. I use Easy CD-Extractor as I rip to APE, not MP3. I wan'ted no quality loss, so I go for a lossless format.

I rip mine as FLAC using some frontend for CD Paranoia.

WMA is a format I treat as the plague.

The actual format is okay- compares roughly to Ogg Vorbis or M4A/AAC. But it's the other stuff that comes with it that sucks, as well as the fact that it and M4A/AAC are software-patented (makes getting codecs tougher for third-party apps) and can come loaded with a payload of DRM as well as music. I stay away from both WMA and M4A/AAC like the plague, as well as QuickTime for video and any video made with a Windows Media codec like WMV* or VC-1 for the same reason. I generally stick with MPEG-2 or MPEG-4/DivX but Ogg Theora looks promising. That and nobody's made DRM for the Ogg container like they have for AVI or the other popular containers.

GenRabbit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
yes its the DRM that keeps me away from WMA/WMV too. and all other formats with it builtin.

btw for protection against Sony-rootkit and getting past CD protections I use anydvd too.

Also turned of autorun feature on all drives so they want autorun any of their shit on my system.