8800gtx and PSU Question

marcs4020

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
In the next month or so I will be stepping up to the 8800gtx from the current 8800gts that I have now and was wondering if my power supply will be sufficient. --->

my power supply

it has a total of 36 amps on both of the 12v rails combined. According to the specs on the evga website for the gtx I should be ok right? Also i am not running much else besides the usual components, a sound card, and 5 fans.

thanks a lot for the help

Marc

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Techincally it will work, but I beg of you, get a better psu! Rosewill is the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality, there the worst company you could buy a psu from. I would rather dunk my hand in a vat of liquid nitrogen and have somebody bust it to peices with a sledge hammer then use a Rosewill psu in my system.

A psu like this one would be a major upgrade in every way imaginable.

marcs4020

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Holy crap man it's that bad! i bought it from newegg awhile back and there were over 100 plus positive reviews and I've never had a problem with it. It runs my gts oc'd to 630/2000 like a champ.
What improvments will I see if it seems to be working great for me? This may be a stupid question but please write back and let me know what you think about this

Marc

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
a psu is a psu is a psu is a psu is a psu is a psu

as long as its not super cheap ass like the ones that come with cases then any psu should be fine as long as its wattage is high enough, i am currently running a 500watt rosewill and ive had no problems with it, ive had it for almost 2 years now i think

jetfx

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
dont forget is not all about the wattage as evil twin17 said, way more important are the amps 36 are not bad, tht psu does not looks bad, it has good reviews for its price, u wont have and issue if u use a single rail to feed the GTX, remember that psu has 1x 6 pin PCI-Express Connector only u need 2 for the gtx, so u would have to use 4 (4pin molex) conector
to be able to feed it, or the one pci-expres conector and 2 (4pin molex)
gl man

marcs4020

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
in regards to the power connector I would just buy the splitter from newegg that lets me go from one pci-e connector to 2. Would that be ok???

Marc

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
as long as its not super cheap ass like the ones that come with cases then any psu should be fine as long as its wattage is high enough, i am currently running a 500watt rosewill and ive had no problems with it, ive had it for almost 2 years now i think
Utter nonsense. Please give no credit.

If you just added linearly your two rails amperage and got 36A, I'm sorry, but dual 18A rails do not add up to 36A, it is rather 26A. Now the power requirements for the 8800GTX are certainly over 30A.

Since you've had a stable experience with the 8800GTS, you might stay lucky with the GTX, I'd give it a try, though if you get reboots and lockups then you'll know what the culprit is.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
a psu is a psu is a psu is a psu is a psu is a psu

Worse advice I have ever heard. Its about quality and reliability as well. Remember, if your PSU goes out, it is likely to take something else with it. (IE: $600 Graphics card)

when it comes to PSUs, go by this list here.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

jetfx

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
the spliters for the pci-e are supplied in the 8800gtx at least in BFG
2 (4pimolex) to 1 pcie,
and no i dont think you can use a Y cable to make a single pcie into 2, but im not 100% sure about tht, again i dont think is good idea

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
There's rail stability, with cheaper, low quality psu's the voltage and amperage on all the rails tends to fluctuate more then high quality ones. Not so much as to completly fry a system, but still an inconvenience, especially when your oc'ing, you really dont want the vcore going up and down, even marginally.

Lower quality power supplies die faster then quality ones, and whenever a psu dies there a chance it could fry a couple other components along with it.

Lower quality psu's have much lower efficiency then high quality ones, take yours and the one I suggested in my first post, 72% for the Rosewill, around 80%* for the Corsair. The lower the efficiency, the more power that gets converted into heat. That causes more wear to the psu since its getting hotter, cutting its life span.

A couple articles:

Quality PSU Brands And Models
Tiered PSU Listings
PSU's 101

*From the site and from a silent pc review article, the efficiency isnt listed on newegg.

marcs4020

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
First off I would like to say thanks for all of the helpful comments from everyone and for responding to my post.
I really don't know what I am going to do now. I guess I still have a month or so b/f i have to step up so I guess I will just watch the prices on power supplies.
As for the converting 1 pci-e to 2 the splitter can be found here------> the splitter

What do you all think about using this. I would just plug it in and I would have two from one or would I be better off with just using the one that I have now and a 4 pin converter that the card comes with to fill the other plug?

Marc

marcs4020

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Does anyone know if the splitter that i linked to above would be ok to use to supply power to the gtx or should I just use the 4 pin adapters?