Windows 2000 on a Pentium 1

I am currently running Windows 98SE and NT4 Server (Dual
boot) on a Pentium I, 200mhz MMX, with 128mb ram and 10gb
hdd. I use it primarily to share my internet connection
over my peer-to-peer LAN with the other pc. I am
considering wiping the entire drive and installing Windows
2000 Professional.

Will my pc be able to run Windows 2000 Professional? And
will I be able to run programs like Photoshop? I know
there will be alot of lag but will it be usable?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt it but check the hardware manufacturer's web site for driver
availability for your system bios and devices.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Travis Swift" wrote:
|I am currently running Windows 98SE and NT4 Server (Dual
| boot) on a Pentium I, 200mhz MMX, with 128mb ram and 10gb
| hdd. I use it primarily to share my internet connection
| over my peer-to-peer LAN with the other pc. I am
| considering wiping the entire drive and installing Windows
| 2000 Professional.
|
| Will my pc be able to run Windows 2000 Professional? And
| will I be able to run programs like Photoshop? I know
| there will be alot of lag but will it be usable?
|
| Thanks in advance.

Before you attempt the install, I highly recommend that
you make sure you can get device drivers for your devices,
(video card, network card, modem, etc.), that work with
W2K. Assuming you can, be prepared for a very, very slow
computer. In general, anytime you try to update the OS on
an old computer (I'm guessing yours is 6-8 yrs. old), you
risk not being able to find drivers for those old devices
and peripherals (e.g., you may not find a print driver for
W2K for an older printer). You may find that staying with
Win98 is your best bet, but don't let me stop you from
trying the upgrade. Who knows...it might work fine.

Best wishes.
Cary

Travis Swift schrieb:
> I am currently running Windows 98SE and NT4 Server (Dual
> boot) on a Pentium I, 200mhz MMX, with 128mb ram and 10gb
> hdd. I use it primarily to share my internet connection
> over my peer-to-peer LAN with the other pc. I am
> considering wiping the entire drive and installing Windows
> 2000 Professional.
>
> Will my pc be able to run Windows 2000 Professional? And
> will I be able to run programs like Photoshop? I know
> there will be alot of lag but will it be usable?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I would not install W2K on your system.
To less RAM and a 200 MMX is not strong enough for
W2K. May be it will work, but if then very slow and instable.

cu
martin