RW-CD becomes read-only when burned

When I write files onto my RW-CD, the entire CD becomes "read-only" and I
cannot write any more files onto the RW-CD unless I re-format the entire CD.
The files I save onto the RW-CD become also read-only and cannot be edited. I
am more concerned with my inability to write additional files onto the RW-CD
than not being able to edit the existing read-only files on the CD. Does
anybody know why files become read-only after they are saved onto the CD? or
why does the entire CD-RW become read-only? Any help would be much
appreciated.
Thanks
Serkan Okar
serkanokar@aol.com

I also am trying to learn how to edit existing read only files on a cd and
add new data files to a cd with other files on it....HELP!

"Serkan Okar" wrote:

> When I write files onto my RW-CD, the entire CD becomes "read-only" and I
> cannot write any more files onto the RW-CD unless I re-format the entire CD.
> The files I save onto the RW-CD become also read-only and cannot be edited. I
> am more concerned with my inability to write additional files onto the RW-CD
> than not being able to edit the existing read-only files on the CD. Does
> anybody know why files become read-only after they are saved onto the CD? or
> why does the entire CD-RW become read-only? Any help would be much
> appreciated.
> Thanks
> Serkan Okar
> serkanokar@aol.com

Gordon

Serkan Okar wrote:
> When I write files onto my RW-CD, the entire CD becomes "read-only" and I
> cannot write any more files onto the RW-CD unless I re-format the entire CD.
> The files I save onto the RW-CD become also read-only and cannot be edited. I
> am more concerned with my inability to write additional files onto the RW-CD
> than not being able to edit the existing read-only files on the CD. Does
> anybody know why files become read-only after they are saved onto the CD? or
> why does the entire CD-RW become read-only? Any help would be much
> appreciated.
> Thanks
> Serkan Okar
> serkanokar@aol.com

To do what you want, you have to format the CDRW for Packet writing. The
XP built-in CD burning software won't do this. If you have Nero InCD or
Roxio then you can do this.

Hi Gordon,
thanks for your reply. yes, you are right: roxio seems to undo the
read-only. However, files (and the entire CD) still become read-only even
when I save them using roxio. So far, I have not been able to find the
setting that determines this either on XP-built in software or on Roxio. I am
looking to find a way that allows me to save the files onto CD without
converting them to read-only automatically during the process so I won't have
to go back and change them everytime.

"Gordon" wrote:

> Serkan Okar wrote:
> > When I write files onto my RW-CD, the entire CD becomes "read-only" and I
> > cannot write any more files onto the RW-CD unless I re-format the entire CD.
> > The files I save onto the RW-CD become also read-only and cannot be edited. I
> > am more concerned with my inability to write additional files onto the RW-CD
> > than not being able to edit the existing read-only files on the CD. Does
> > anybody know why files become read-only after they are saved onto the CD? or
> > why does the entire CD-RW become read-only? Any help would be much
> > appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > Serkan Okar
> > serkanokar@aol.com
>
> To do what you want, you have to format the CDRW for Packet writing. The
> XP built-in CD burning software won't do this. If you have Nero InCD or
> Roxio then you can do this.

steven

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:11:03 -0800, "Serkan Okar"
<SerkanOkar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Gordon,
>thanks for your reply. yes, you are right: roxio seems to undo the
>read-only. However, files (and the entire CD) still become read-only even
>when I save them using roxio. So far, I have not been able to find the
>setting that determines this either on XP-built in software or on Roxio. I am
>looking to find a way that allows me to save the files onto CD without
>converting them to read-only automatically during the process so I won't have
>to go back and change them everytime.

Using Roxio, there is an option to "finalize" the CDR or CDRW. This
will also prevent the CDRW from being written to.

By default, the burning software that Win XP (not the same as Roxio)
provides always "finalizes" the CDR or CDRW so it can no longer be
written to.

To make a CDRW writable again, you have to "erase" it.

Steve

>"Gordon" wrote:
>
>> Serkan Okar wrote:
>> > When I write files onto my RW-CD, the entire CD becomes "read-only" and I
>> > cannot write any more files onto the RW-CD unless I re-format the entire CD.
>> > The files I save onto the RW-CD become also read-only and cannot be edited. I
>> > am more concerned with my inability to write additional files onto the RW-CD
>> > than not being able to edit the existing read-only files on the CD. Does
>> > anybody know why files become read-only after they are saved onto the CD? or
>> > why does the entire CD-RW become read-only? Any help would be much
>> > appreciated.
>> > Thanks
>> > Serkan Okar
>> > serkanokar@aol.com
>>
>> To do what you want, you have to format the CDRW for Packet writing. The
>> XP built-in CD burning software won't do this. If you have Nero InCD or
>> Roxio then you can do this.

Packet Writing only enables the ability to drag and drop or save directly to
CD and allows you to continue to add files to the disk until it is full.
However, files becoming read only when written to a CD is the nature of the
beast.

In order to edit files you've saved to CD, you must first copy them back to
your hard drive.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Serkan Okar" <SerkanOkar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Gordon,
> thanks for your reply. yes, you are right: roxio seems to undo the
> read-only. However, files (and the entire CD) still become read-only even
> when I save them using roxio. So far, I have not been able to find the
> setting that determines this either on XP-built in software or on Roxio. I
> am
> looking to find a way that allows me to save the files onto CD without
> converting them to read-only automatically during the process so I won't
> have
> to go back and change them everytime.
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> Serkan Okar wrote:
>> > When I write files onto my RW-CD, the entire CD becomes "read-only" and
>> > cannot write any more files onto the RW-CD unless I re-format the
>> > entire CD.
>> > The files I save onto the RW-CD become also read-only and cannot be
>> > edited. I
>> > am more concerned with my inability to write additional files onto the
>> > RW-CD
>> > than not being able to edit the existing read-only files on the CD.
>> > Does
>> > anybody know why files become read-only after they are saved onto the
>> > CD? or
>> > why does the entire CD-RW become read-only? Any help would be much
>> > appreciated.
>> > Thanks
>> > Serkan Okar
>> > serkanokar@aol.com
>>
>> To do what you want, you have to format the CDRW for Packet writing. The
>> XP built-in CD burning software won't do this. If you have Nero InCD or
>> Roxio then you can do this.

Gordon

Serkan Okar wrote:
> Hi Gordon,
> thanks for your reply. yes, you are right: roxio seems to undo the
> read-only. However, files (and the entire CD) still become read-only even
> when I save them using roxio. So far, I have not been able to find the
> setting that determines this either on XP-built in software or on Roxio. I am
> looking to find a way that allows me to save the files onto CD without
> converting them to read-only automatically during the process so I won't have
> to go back and change them everytime.
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>

>>Serkan Okar wrote:
>>
>>>When I write files onto my RW-CD, the entire CD becomes "read-only" and I
>>>cannot write any more files onto the RW-CD unless I re-format the entire CD.
>>>The files I save onto the RW-CD become also read-only and cannot be edited. I
>>>am more concerned with my inability to write additional files onto the RW-CD
>>>than not being able to edit the existing read-only files on the CD. Does
>>>anybody know why files become read-only after they are saved onto the CD? or
>>>why does the entire CD-RW become read-only? Any help would be much
>>>appreciated.
>>>Thanks
>>>Serkan Okar
>>>serkanokar@aol.com
>>
>>To do what you want, you have to format the CDRW for Packet writing. The
>>XP built-in CD burning software won't do this. If you have Nero InCD or
>>Roxio then you can do this.

In Roxio there is an option to Format the CD for UDF - I used to have
Roxio but no longer.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Your getting some confusing information here. The fact that you have Roxio
(a CD burning package) does NOT mean that you have installed Roxio's
DirectCD which is a packet driver. If it is not installed, you need to
install it. Once present, if you right click on the CD drive with a CDRW
present, you will see an option to format the media. After formatting it
will be usable for drag and drop and files will not be marked as read only.

(Nero's inCD and Sonic's DLA along with Roxio's DirectCD are the 3 most
common packet drivers. All work similarly.)