Most Powerfull Geforce PCI NON EXPRESS card?

Emile139

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Hello,
My motherboard has a AGP slot and PCI slots. The AGP is installed and all is OK.
I want to add a PCI NON EXPRESS (PCIe is NOT allowed) card.
What is the most powerfull card?
Thanks in advance.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I'm no pro on PCI cards but seeing as nobody else is answering, the best I've seen is a Radeon x1550PRO 256mb. I think Diamond made it but I'm not sure.

Why do you want a PCI graphics card anyway?

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hello,
My motherboard has a AGP slot and PCI slots. The AGP is installed and all is OK.
I want to add a PCI NON EXPRESS (PCIe is NOT allowed) card.
What is the most powerfull card?
Thanks in advance.

6200 PCI 256MB

I hope you're not hoping to run them in parallel to boost your graphical power. I say this because it won't work.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The only reason that I can think of that you would want a PCI card is to add support for more monitors. Pretty much any PCI card will do this, just don't expect to play games on them.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I personally question why you might want to add a second card. Is it that you want more than 2 displays at once? That's the only potential benefit I might see in adding a PCI video card alongside your AGP one. Another alternative is that one might want to install a 3dfx card to play some old Glide-only games, (like The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard) but given that you said "GeForce" and there are plenty of good, free "Glide Wrappers," there's no reason for that.

Currently, the most powerful PCI card from nVidia is the GeForce 6200. The most powerful from ATi is the decidedly stronger Radeon X1300. Neither is terribly good in their PCI form, though; it's a far cry from AGP, which is not merely faster, but a superior architecture as well with far less latency.

When it comes to AGP, the most potent card is the Radeon X1950pro, with the best GeForce being the 7600GT, or if you count factory-OC'ed cards, one of Gainward's 7800GS Bliss cards, which is technically a 7900GT/7800GTX labeled as a 7800GS.

Emile139

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Hello,
FYI I already have an AGP card installed and 2 monitors are linked.
This works OK.
I want to add more monitors (I "fly" MS FSX) , my motherboard only allows PCI (NON EXPRESS) cards.
I try to find standard PCI cards to add, I only find information concerning PCIe. That's why I have this question.
It seams that less and less manufacturers propose PCI standard cards.
Thank for your help.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Hello,
FYI I already have an AGP card installed and 2 monitors are linked.
This works OK.
I want to add more monitors (I "fly" MS FSX) , my motherboard only allows PCI (NON EXPRESS) cards.
I try to find standard PCI cards to add, I only find information concerning PCIe. That's why I have this question.
It seams that less and less manufacturers propose PCI standard cards.
Thank for your help.
Okay, that makes a lot more sense. Unfortunately, I'm afraid you might wind up with some problems; it'll be impossible for any PCI card to match an AGP card in rendering speed, even if it was only handling one display to the 2 of your AGP card. While yes, I agree this would be a very nice thing, I just personally don't think it's possible to use FSX with more than 2 monitors on an AGP system. Were this an older Flight Simulator, maybe, but not Flight Simulator X. It's pretty demanding.

Perhaps the game might allow you to select different graphics settings for display on different screens? If so, then it could work, as you'd select much lower settings for the monitors off of your PCI card(s). Might not be ideal to have some of your screens be lower-res, but it'd work.

PCD

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Sorry, I didn't note the post where you say you need it for playing Flight Simulator X

It will not work as the PCI bus simply is not fast enough. Few 3D games made within the last 2 years can run in an acceptable way even with everything set on low on a PCI gfx card simply because the PCI bus is too slow.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
ahh yes i always forget the 6200. :oops:

I would think that the ATI x1550 would wipe the floor with the 6200.... :?:

the op was asking (most powerful geforce pci card?)

but yeah the x1300 and x1500 series probably are faster than
the 6200 series.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Maybe you could use one of those Matrox cards to split it onto another monitor, although this would probably be pretty taxing on your video card.