linkrift

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
This past december I purchased and assembled a new computer. It's been working fine, save for random freezes that I have the sneaking suspicion are the cause of bad logitech g15 lcd drivers.

Three nights ago, I turned off the computer and went to bed. Approx. 20 minutes later, it rebooted itself.

Ok, odd... I turned it off, it stayed off.

The next night the same thing happened.

And now just before typing this it did it again, immediately after shutting down. The time it takes to reboot itself seems to be random, or it's a set time in the background somehow.

It's very unlikely that anyone is messing with me, as the problem had occured numerous times, all during different parts of the day (when my roommates were out)

Any ideas?

linkrift

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
thats actually a good possiblity, it only started when I plugged in through the wired connection instead of wireless...

Mondoman

Splendid
..., it only started when I plugged in through the wired connection ...
Unless you have a local hardware router/firewall (i.e. you didn't just plug it into the "wall"), there's also a good chance your computer has been converted into a "zombie" member of a botnet by a worm/virus/malware/etc.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
There router has a good firewall, I use one now and I have windows firewall turned off.
All the other ideas are valid, also did you move the case? Is the airflow limited? Open it up and check for dust bunnies, can be real bad, especially around smokers

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
It's plugged into the router, though I don't think the router has a firewall. (It's a linksys WRT54G)

Either way you might want to grab some spyware and rootkit checking programs and run them. I'd suggest Spybot, Ad-Aware and Rookit Unhooker.

linkrift

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
There router has a good firewall, I use one now and I have windows firewall turned off.
All the other ideas are valid, also did you move the case? Is the airflow limited? Open it up and check for dust bunnies, can be real bad, especially around smokers

It's a pretty new system so theres little ot know dust buildup, and I give it a good cleaning bi-monthly (this system is my baby :lol: )

Also, no one smokes in the household, but I've seen tobacco slug in my roommates computer from when he lived with his parents. Nasty stuff.

I'll post back on the results after I run the above tests, thanks much.