Sign in with
Your question

Best HSF for Silence?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 21, 2007 5:45:33 PM

Which coolers are there that are big and bulk that come with no fan on it, but have the capability of holding a 120mm on top or on the side of it?

Which I believe would be the best way to go for silence other then putting no fan on it, but I want it to run cool also. So I would just buy a super quite 120mm fan and put it on the HSF.

Thanks for any info. Storm~

More about : hsf silence

March 21, 2007 8:02:18 PM

The Scythe Infinity is one of their newest heatsinks. It is a massive cube (almost) and comes with its own 120mm fan thats quite quiet. You could always run it without the fan or swap the fans over.
It works on 775 and AM2.

If your American: here (although its not called the Infinity on newegg :? )
If your English: here

A review
Another Review

The Scythe Ninja was their original passive cooler, but i havn't tried that.
March 21, 2007 11:00:23 PM

Are there any other's that you can put a 120mm fan on, that are the best..?

@ vonagio

Thanks alot man.

Thanks alot for any suggestions. Storm~
Related resources
March 21, 2007 11:20:39 PM

The Big Typhoon is pretty good and is pretty silent. The fan is rated at 54.4 CFM at 16dB.
March 21, 2007 11:46:07 PM

Thermalright Ultra-120. Put any 120 mm fan on it that you want.
March 21, 2007 11:50:37 PM

What aBg_@*#&^% said :) 
March 21, 2007 11:52:34 PM

Scythe Infinity is a great cooler, you can put up to 4 120mm fans on it. For this price its awesome and it fits just about any motherboard/cpu. Other than that I'd say Tuniq Tower.
March 21, 2007 11:55:34 PM

Storm for the ultimate in cool and quiet use the TR ULtra 120 Extreme (coming out soon) and pair it with a Noctura NF-S12...

That would be very cool and very quiet.. You would actually be able to OC the heck out of your system and have the HS/HSF still be a quieter part of your system..
March 22, 2007 7:12:41 PM

The Thermalright Ultra-120 seems good but expensive. In the UK its over £10 (~$20) more than the Infinity. Also you don't get a fan with it (possibly a good thing if you want to provide your own quiet fan). The Ultra-120 doesn't work with AM2.

The big typhoon was a letdown for me, cooling was barely an improvement on the stock cooler, but it was quiet.

In the latest CustomPC magazine in the UK (issue 44) they did a roundup of some coolers; the thermalright and the infinity both got 80% (for the 775) so there isnt much to choose from there.

The price difference is probably the only thing that should make a difference here, even if you want to add your own fan the thermalright is still £10 more.

UK shop for Ultra-120: here
US shop for Ultra-120: here

Also this all depends on what socket type your on, how much you want to pay, how much you are overclocking, and what country you are in (i don't know much about the US shops/prices as im in England).
March 22, 2007 8:09:32 PM

@ches111, or anyone for that matter

When is the TR Ultra 120 Extreme approximately being released?

@Everyone

Which of these HSF that everyone's suggested the best in matters of like temps. I'll be putting my own fan on it probably, so it's gotta support 120mm fan.

It'll be on a Socket 775 // No Over clocking // $10-20 dollars difference between all of em or whatever doesn't matter to me.

Basically I just want the best HSF, that I can put my own 120mm fan on.

I live in the US.

Thanks for any info, suggestions, opinions. Storm~
March 22, 2007 9:44:04 PM

I dont know about the extreme version of the thermalright. It might be worth something that the Infinity can have 4 fans on it, (for future cooling needs, incase of overclocking) and the thermalright can have two (although I think that might be overkill...).

My gut feeling (when choosing my cooler), was to go for the biggest, as the biggest cooler has more surface area and larger mass of metal to dissapate the heat through. Not one of the most scientific approaches to it but thats all I did.

I own an Infinity so I'm going to be biased towards that! Its a good quality cooler and I'm happy with it, even with its stock fan.

Aside from your question: You could always watercool your rig...The Zalman ReseratorI/II is passive, but it'll set you back ~$300 (well thats the price in the UK). Or you could spend $$$s on a custom Danger Den, or Swiftech kit. Its not exactly what your looking for though :D 
March 22, 2007 10:31:33 PM

I saw a review of the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.....and the temperature was only ~1-2 degrees different than the normal Ultra 120. I still suggest the Ultra 120. It has some of the best temperatures possible with any heatsink; and you get to put whatever fan on it that you please.
April 20, 2007 4:52:20 AM

About the Tuniq Tower I just realized it comes with a fan in the middle of it.

My questions about the middle fan that goes in between of the Heatsink are..

1) How quite is it?

2) Can you put a different fan 120mm in it's place?

3) And can you attach fans to it and how many if so?

4) What's the best setup fan wise attached and the middle wise?

Thanks very much for answers to any of the questions, or any comments.

Thanks Storm~
April 20, 2007 6:04:39 AM

Sorry if I missed it, but what CPU and case airflow are we talking here? It does make a difference...
April 20, 2007 9:01:36 AM

Quote:
About the Tuniq Tower I just realized it comes with a fan in the middle of it.

My questions about the middle fan that goes in between of the Heatsink are..

1) How quite is it?

2) Can you put a different fan 120mm in it's place?

3) And can you attach fans to it and how many if so?

4) What's the best setup fan wise attached and the middle wise?

Thanks very much for answers to any of the questions, or any comments.

Thanks Storm~

1) Quiet. Not sure the exact dB, but I know it's alot less then 30dB. I cant hear it at all with my noise canceling headphones on, and they're rated to block noises up to 30dB.

2) You can replace the stock fan with an 120x25mm case fan, the most common variety.

3) Tuniq doesnt provide any hardware for mounting external fans, but with a couple cable ties it wouldnt be too hard to mount 2 or 4 more fans...

4) The best would be one of these on each side of the hsf, along with a high power fan in the middle. Although that would be costly, to the point where water cooling would be a better option. And it would be insanly loud.
April 20, 2007 10:48:39 AM

Check out the Noctua NHU12F. It will certainly take the crown of most quiet while maintaining extremely strong performance. PM Skyguy if you want his review of it.

http://www.xoxide.com/noctua-nh-u12-cooler.html

It comes with 1 fan on it thats optimized for quiet, but if you want you can always put on a couple of dustbusters.
April 20, 2007 11:27:41 AM

Hey what about a Zalman Reserator or Reserator 2? They are silent and very effective cooling devices. If he got the Res 2 he could also cool his N/B and GPU; that would really quiet things down! Of course, the Res 2 is incompatible with 8800 series GPU so beware of that!
April 20, 2007 12:03:42 PM

I would have to say either a Scythe Ninja or Thermalright 120 Ultra.
Both are very quiet and both are great coolers.
April 20, 2007 12:51:03 PM

I have to go will a Noctua NH-U12F, there fans are really great (quite), it has proper back plate mounting as well. None of ths Scythe easy clip stuff that some people dont like
April 20, 2007 1:21:50 PM

Ninja gets throroughly TROUNCED by the Noctua NH-U12F in all aspects.

OP, if you want an unbiased review on quiet heatsinks, I just finished one recently.....take a read:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Cool-Quiet-HSF-...

The only HSF that I was unable to test that should prove highly competitive is the Thermalright Ultra 120. Slap a Noctua 120mm fan on it and my bet is you have another winner.
April 20, 2007 6:04:51 PM

@ tool_462

It might be used temporarily for a Pentium D 805 and a Antec Sonata 2 case.

But it's main purpose will probably be a Core 2 Duo 6600 and a Antec P182 case.

@ All

An extra 10-20$ or whatever won't be a big deal, I mainly want the best silence and then performance.

Thanks allot for the comments and suggestions, still open to whatever you can tell me. Thanks Storm~
April 20, 2007 6:14:28 PM

Quote:
@ tool_462

It might be used temporarily for a Pentium D 805 and a Antec Sonata 2 case.

But it's main purpose will probably be a Core 2 Duo 6600 and a Antec P182 case.

@ All

An extra 10-20$ or whatever won't be a big deal, I mainly want the best silence and then performance.

Thanks allot for the comments and suggestions, still open to whatever you can tell me. Thanks Storm~

I have a friend who uses the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro that he uses with his Pentium D 805 and Antec Sonata 2. Its very quiet, and real cheap (provided you get a good deal)
!