install reboot cycle

Help please!
I am upgrading from 98 to 2000 Pro.
I have a brand new hard drive and one compatibility issue
with my Que drive so I disconnected it.
Setup goes through to putting in a PC name and password,
adds networking (it used to reboot there but now it goes
through) and on the coppying files phase, reboots
at "copying dtc" which I dont want but there was no choice
to choose what i did wanted. When it gets to this point,
the system reboots either back to the beginning where i
have to type in the serial or to check disk, where i go
through entering a PC name and password again and watch it
reboot again. Once, it got all the way to "final steps,
registring programs" or something like that, then it just
hang on the same screen overnight. When I rebooted it
went back to wanting a PC name and password. Does anyone
know how to fix this without wiping out all my data?

Save yourself some time and trouble, given that you'll more than likely end
up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/ corruption left behind from
the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for the clean install.

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
proceed.

Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"debra" wrote:
| Help please!
| I am upgrading from 98 to 2000 Pro.
| I have a brand new hard drive and one compatibility issue
| with my Que drive so I disconnected it.
| Setup goes through to putting in a PC name and password,
| adds networking (it used to reboot there but now it goes
| through) and on the coppying files phase, reboots
| at "copying dtc" which I dont want but there was no choice
| to choose what i did wanted. When it gets to this point,
| the system reboots either back to the beginning where i
| have to type in the serial or to check disk, where i go
| through entering a PC name and password again and watch it
| reboot again. Once, it got all the way to "final steps,
| registring programs" or something like that, then it just
| hang on the same screen overnight. When I rebooted it
| went back to wanting a PC name and password. Does anyone
| know how to fix this without wiping out all my data?

clean install is not an option....
thx anyway

or other partitions
>found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the
install, then again
>restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid
unexpected drive
>letter assignments with your new install.
>
>During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to
confirm the previous
>operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll
simply insert the
>qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the
install will
>proceed.
>
>Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for
the latest bios and
>or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.
>

>--
>Regards,

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"debra" wrote:
>| Help please!
>| I am upgrading from 98 to 2000 Pro.
>| I have a brand new hard drive and one compatibility
issue
>| with my Que drive so I disconnected it.
>| Setup goes through to putting in a PC name and password,
>| adds networking (it used to reboot there but now it goes
>| through) and on the coppying files phase, reboots
>| at "copying dtc" which I dont want but there was no
choice
>| to choose what i did wanted. When it gets to this
point,
>| the system reboots either back to the beginning where i
>| have to type in the serial or to check disk, where i go
>| through entering a PC name and password again and watch
it
>| reboot again. Once, it got all the way to "final steps,
>| registring programs" or something like that, then it
just
>| hang on the same screen overnight. When I rebooted it
>| went back to wanting a PC name and password. Does anyone
>| know how to fix this without wiping out all my data?
>

>.

Is there anyone that knows what is happening and has
figured out how why it is doing this?

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>"debra" wrote:
>| Help please!
>| I am upgrading from 98 to 2000 Pro.
>| I have a brand new hard drive and one compatibility
issue
>| with my Que drive so I disconnected it.
>| Setup goes through to putting in a PC name and password,
>| adds networking (it used to reboot there but now it goes
>| through) and on the coppying files phase, reboots
>| at "copying dtc" which I dont want but there was no
choice
>| to choose what i did wanted. When it gets to this
point,
>| the system reboots either back to the beginning where i
>| have to type in the serial or to check disk, where i go
>| through entering a PC name and password again and watch
it
>| reboot again. Once, it got all the way to "final steps,
>| registring programs" or something like that, then it
just
>| hang on the same screen overnight. When I rebooted it
>| went back to wanting a PC name and password. Does anyone
>| know how to fix this without wiping out all my data?
>

>.

I don't think you have any choice at this point.

--

"Debra" wrote:
| clean install is not an option....

I have another 98 drive to upgrade. If 98 upgrade to 2000
is not possible. please tell me. "at this point" was
supposed to be "run setup", I have done nothing else.

newsgroup.

"debra" wrote:
|I have another 98 drive to upgrade. If 98 upgrade to 2000
| is not possible. please tell me.
* It *is* possible but usually results in failure due to application
incompatability, hardware/driver issues and corruption migrating from the
win9x install.

"at this point" was
| supposed to be "run setup", I have done nothing else.
* I don't know what this means.

--

"Debra" wrote:

> Is there anyone that knows what is happening and has
> figured out how why it is doing this?

If you can't, insert a Win startup disk and type Format C: /Q or use the
brecovery console. Note, type Q not q.
If you can revert to Win 98, uninstall everything on it and retry the upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS