REINSTALLATION OF WIN2K Pro (RE-Explained)

I have been trying to get an answer to a reinstallation question
I apologize if I haven't explained it adequately; I'll try again.
I hope I don't cross the fine line between too vague and too verbose.

Here are my 2 questions:

Questions:
1. Is it possible to reinstall Windows 2000 and retain, passwords, registry
information and whatever it takes to run the old applications.
(I.e. intitialization files, licenses, etc)

2. What, if anything, would survive if I reinstall writing over the
original WINNT directory?

3. Is there someway to fix the orignal installationm?

And here is why I want to know.

Original Problem:
(Platform: WINDOW 2000 Professional on a modest PC (393 Kbytes, 550 Mhz)

The boot process "never" finishes, i.e. the machine hangs with screen showing
"Installing Security Options".
..

Suggested cure:
Reinstall WIN2K.

Result:

WIN 2k was reinstalled in a new directory, "C:\winnt1". Upon start up
both dopies are available.
The original Windows copy is still available and if I try to use it
the above situation still prevails.

If I boot from the newly installed Windows and login is prompt and
my desktop is present; but few applications run satisfactorly.

IExplorer works with my old Favorites. But an overwhleming number of my
applications can not be run.

Some could find their .dll's.; most likely because the are stored in
c:\WINNT andthey are being sought in c:\WINNT1

Some failed at start up because of "Error acesseing the registry".

A few that worked didn't initialize as they had originally - probably
because the initialization files(.INI) could not be found or because a
new Registry is being used.

Those applications that started up couldn't find "Recent Files". I suspect
that this is either .INI or registry problems.

What a downer!!

I know I could reinstall my application; and reset the all options that
I have come to know and love. But that doesn't sound great.

Any constructive suggestions would be welcome.

Starting a new thread every time makes this quite difficult to follow. You
probably have two choices here. Attempt to repair the original install or
start over. Your applications won't run in the new install because even
though the file structure exists there is no supporting registry structure.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"PAUL M" wrote:
|I have been trying to get an answer to a reinstallation question
| I apologize if I haven't explained it adequately; I'll try again.
| I hope I don't cross the fine line between too vague and too verbose.
|
| Here are my 2 questions:
|
| Questions:
| 1. Is it possible to reinstall Windows 2000 and retain, passwords,
registry
| information and whatever it takes to run the old applications.
| (I.e. intitialization files, licenses, etc)
|
| 2. What, if anything, would survive if I reinstall writing over the
| original WINNT directory?
|
| 3. Is there someway to fix the orignal installationm?
|

| And here is why I want to know.
|
| Original Problem:
| (Platform: WINDOW 2000 Professional on a modest PC (393 Kbytes, 550 Mhz)
|
| The boot process "never" finishes, i.e. the machine hangs with screen
showing
| "Installing Security Options".
| .
|
| Suggested cure:
| Reinstall WIN2K.
|
| Result:
|
| WIN 2k was reinstalled in a new directory, "C:\winnt1". Upon start up
| both dopies are available.
| The original Windows copy is still available and if I try to use it
| the above situation still prevails.
|
| If I boot from the newly installed Windows and login is prompt and
| my desktop is present; but few applications run satisfactorly.
|
| IExplorer works with my old Favorites. But an overwhleming number of my
| applications can not be run.
|
| Some could find their .dll's.; most likely because the are stored in
| c:\WINNT andthey are being sought in c:\WINNT1
|
| Some failed at start up because of "Error acesseing the registry".
|
| A few that worked didn't initialize as they had originally - probably
| because the initialization files(.INI) could not be found or because a
| new Registry is being used.
|
| Those applications that started up couldn't find "Recent Files". I suspect
| that this is either .INI or registry problems.
|
| What a downer!!
|

| I know I could reinstall my application; and reset the all options that
| I have come to know and love. But that doesn't sound great.
|
| Any constructive suggestions would be welcome.

I apologize for having started a new thread.
P.
The posted suggestion prompts me to ask an additional question?

How does one "repair" and installation? Is there some documentation I ought
to read?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Starting a new thread every time makes this quite difficult to follow. You
> probably have two choices here. Attempt to repair the original install or
> start over. Your applications won't run in the new install because even
> though the file structure exists there is no supporting registry structure.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "PAUL M" wrote:
> |I have been trying to get an answer to a reinstallation question
> | I apologize if I haven't explained it adequately; I'll try again.
> | I hope I don't cross the fine line between too vague and too verbose.
> |
> | Here are my 2 questions:
> |
> | Questions:
> | 1. Is it possible to reinstall Windows 2000 and retain, passwords,
> registry
> | information and whatever it takes to run the old applications.
> | (I.e. intitialization files, licenses, etc)
> |
> | 2. What, if anything, would survive if I reinstall writing over the
> | original WINNT directory?
> |
> | 3. Is there someway to fix the orignal installationm?
> |

> | And here is why I want to know.
> |
> | Original Problem:
> | (Platform: WINDOW 2000 Professional on a modest PC (393 Kbytes, 550 Mhz)
> |
> | The boot process "never" finishes, i.e. the machine hangs with screen
> showing
> | "Installing Security Options".
> | .
> |
> | Suggested cure:
> | Reinstall WIN2K.
> |
> | Result:
> |
> | WIN 2k was reinstalled in a new directory, "C:\winnt1". Upon start up
> | both dopies are available.
> | The original Windows copy is still available and if I try to use it
> | the above situation still prevails.
> |
> | If I boot from the newly installed Windows and login is prompt and
> | my desktop is present; but few applications run satisfactorly.
> |
> | IExplorer works with my old Favorites. But an overwhleming number of my
> | applications can not be run.
> |
> | Some could find their .dll's.; most likely because the are stored in
> | c:\WINNT andthey are being sought in c:\WINNT1
> |
> | Some failed at start up because of "Error acesseing the registry".
> |
> | A few that worked didn't initialize as they had originally - probably
> | because the initialization files(.INI) could not be found or because a
> | new Registry is being used.
> |
> | Those applications that started up couldn't find "Recent Files". I suspect
> | that this is either .INI or registry problems.
> |
> | What a downer!!
> |

> | I know I could reinstall my application; and reset the all options that
> | I have come to know and love. But that doesn't sound great.
> |
> | Any constructive suggestions would be welcome.

Depends on the problem. Without specific details it's difficult to say. Does
the operating system start? Safe mode start? If so check Event Viewer and
Device Manager for errors and or non-starting devices.

--

"PAUL M" wrote:
|I apologize for having started a new thread.
| P.
| The posted suggestion prompts me to ask an additional question?
|
| How does one "repair" and installation? Is there some documentation I
ought
| to read?

Original installation does boot in Safe Mode, but rather slowly, Task
Manager shows 100% Utilization of CPU by System

Event viewer
System Log
A dozen or so Errors in Service Control Manager, Category None,
Events = 7001 (8 times), 6009,7026, 6005, User N/A
DCOM error, Event 10010, User=System
Application Log
Errors in "rcstrs" Event 2001,
"Perfnet", Events 2002 and 2004
"Perfdisk" Event 1001

Device Manager Failed to operate, i.e. could not get beyond the System
Properties dialog.

Part of the symptoms is that the time between resposnse to the steps
in search through the Control Panel options took any where from 10 seconds
to minutes.

Unable to complete the log in in normal mode - waited an hour +.

And to add insult to injury I could not do a normal shutdown from Safe Mode,
had to use Power Switch.

THANKS for any advice that you can provide.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Depends on the problem. Without specific details it's difficult to say. Does
> the operating system start? Safe mode start? If so check Event Viewer and
> Device Manager for errors and or non-starting devices.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "PAUL M" wrote:
> |I apologize for having started a new thread.
> | P.
> | The posted suggestion prompts me to ask an additional question?
> |
> | How does one "repair" and installation? Is there some documentation I
> ought
> | to read?

Task Manager|Processes tab to see what process is consuming the mem/cpu

When you view the logged events in Event Viewer in the upper right corner,
third button down is a copy to clipboard, then you can paste in the body of
a reply message.

Please do so for each of the different system events so we can see all of
the event detail.

--

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Task Manager|Processes tab to see what process is consuming the mem/cpu

The process is called "System"

> When you view the logged events in Event Viewer in the upper right corner,
> third button down is a copy to clipboard, then you can paste in the body of
> a reply message.

I guess we have come to an impasse! The computer is much too unresponsive
to do anything that complicated.

Thanks for trying.

> "PAUL M" wrote:
> | Original installation does boot in Safe Mode, but rather slowly,
> Task
> | Manager shows 100% Utilization of CPU by System
> |
> | Event viewer
> | System Log
> | A dozen or so Errors in Service Control Manager, Category None,
> | Events = 7001 (8 times), 6009,7026, 6005, User N/A
> | DCOM error, Event 10010, User=System
> | Application Log
> | Errors in "rcstrs" Event 2001,
> | "Perfnet", Events 2002 and 2004
> | "Perfdisk" Event 1001
> |

> | Device Manager Failed to operate, i.e. could not get beyond the System
> | Properties dialog.
> |

> | Part of the symptoms is that the time between resposnse to the steps
> | in search through the Control Panel options took any where from 10 seconds
> | to minutes.
> |
> | Unable to complete the log in in normal mode - waited an hour +.
> |
> | And to add insult to injury I could not do a normal shutdown from Safe
> Mode,
> | had to use Power Switch.
> |
> | THANKS for any advice that you can provide.

Ok, you gave a partial list once. I guess the situation is now worse? You
may have some virus. These may help.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

--

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Ok, you gave a partial list once. I guess the situation is now worse?

I can get as far as pasting to Note Pad; I just can't do anything that is
network related.

You
> may have some virus. These may help.
>
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

The computer was using trendmicro over intranet prior to probelms. At
this time no intranet connection.
Not able to connect to internet. I should probably seek out

> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "PAUL M" wrote:
> | I guess we have come to an impasse! The computer is much too unresponsive
> | to do anything that complicated.
> |

> | Thanks for trying.

Hi - like a bad penny I am back!

By switching between the newly installed WIN2K and the old one that is
creeping along I made the following progress.

I ran TREND OFFICE SCAN from the new System, it found no Viruses. (It did
scan the directory containing the old Windows as well as all disks.)

I was able to create pasted copies of Event log properties in Note pad, and
then copy it to my other PC (which is working just fine.)

Pasted below are the a set of copies and pasted error messages. Hope they
help, and thanks for trying to help.
PM

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7001
Date: 10/21/2004
Time: 12:00:52 PM
User: N/A
Computer: WINDY
The System Event Notification service depends on the COM+ Event System
service which failed to start because of the following error:
No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7022
Date: 10/21/2004
Time: 12:03:25 PM
User: N/A
Computer: WINDY
The Server service hung on starting.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 10/21/2004
Time: 12:03:25 PM
User: N/A
Computer: WINDY
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
ATMhelpr

Date: 10/21/2004
Time: 12:12:24 PM
User: N/A
Computer: WINDY
The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Telephony
service which failed to start because of the following error:
No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10010
Date: 10/21/2004
Time: 12:36:11 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: WINDY
The server {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} did not register with DCOM
within the required timeout.

============END OF POST===============================

"PAUL M" wrote:

> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>
> > Ok, you gave a partial list once. I guess the situation is now worse?
>
> I can get as far as pasting to Note Pad; I just can't do anything that is
> network related.
>
> You
> > may have some virus. These may help.
> >
> > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
> > http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
> >

> The computer was using trendmicro over intranet prior to probelms. At
> this time no intranet connection.
> Not able to connect to internet. I should probably seek out
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "PAUL M" wrote:
> > | I guess we have come to an impasse! The computer is much too unresponsive
> > | to do anything that complicated.
> > |

> > | Thanks for trying.

These may help.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

After doing so be sure to apply these to your repair install before
connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE