Desktop screen is black

I upgraded from Win ME to W2K. The desktop is black because explorer.exe
does not start. Using Task manager i found a Dr Watson error that gives a
message of Access Denied when trying to start explorer.exe.

I can run appllictions using task manager. Just no screen with Icons on it.

Help! Thanks, Henry

There is no supported upgrade path from WinME to Windows 2000

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Henry T" wrote:
|I upgraded from Win ME to W2K. The desktop is black because explorer.exe
| does not start. Using Task manager i found a Dr Watson error that gives a
| message of Access Denied when trying to start explorer.exe.
|
| I can run appllictions using task manager. Just no screen with Icons on
it.

| Help! Thanks, Henry

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

It does the same thing when migrating to XP pro from ME. Any ideas.

thanks

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> There is no supported upgrade path from WinME to Windows 2000
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Henry T" wrote:
> |I upgraded from Win ME to W2K. The desktop is black because explorer.exe
> | does not start. Using Task manager i found a Dr Watson error that gives a
> | message of Access Denied when trying to start explorer.exe.
> |
> | I can run appllictions using task manager. Just no screen with Icons on
> it.
> |
> | Help! Thanks, Henry

Check that explorer.exe is the default shell to start. Look at the Reg_Sz
string value of;
"Shell"="Explorer.exe"
found at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

The profile may also be corrupt or these may help you.

No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000 (Q256194)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q256194

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952