LCOS

I have been reading about these lately and they look like a possibly better
choice than LCD. The only problem is I am looking for something on the
order of 37", 1080p and all the LCOS sets seem to be much larger. Does
anybody know if anybody is planning to produce smaller sets?
1 answer Last reply
More about lcos

    Robert B. Peirce wrote:
    > I have been reading about these lately and they look like a possibly better
    > choice than LCD. The only problem is I am looking for something on the
    > order of 37", 1080p and all the LCOS sets seem to be much larger. Does
    > anybody know if anybody is planning to produce smaller sets?

    Doubtful. In the US market, the RP TVs are generally 42" or bigger as
    they are going after the big screen market. At 37", you choices are
    direct view TVs - CRT (although the largest 16:9 widescreen CRT widely
    available is 34"), LCD, or Plasma. If you really want 1080p in a smaller
    size, your only real alternative is a 1920x1080 LCD TV which are just
    coming out - at big bucks.

    The Sharp 45" Aquos LCD (either $8K or $9K MSRP), has finally arrived
    in the US, the Samsung 46" LCD has been spotted but the initial reports
    on it are not all that positive. But, if you are using the set as a TV
    at normal 8' to 10' viewing distances, 1080i/p won't add that much over
    720p for smaller sets (angular resolution of the human eye is the
    reason). For TV viewing distances, 1080i/p doesn't really help much
    until you get into 50" and up sets. Eventually we will get to where all
    the better brand name TVs > 40 some inches are 1080p sets, but not for a
    while.

    Alan

HDTV TV Home Theatre