Windows 2000 Add/Remove Windows Compents ntoc.dll error

I need to install WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) on a
Windows 2000 with SP4. When I click on Add/Remove Windows Compents, I
get the following error:

Setup library ntoc.dll could not be loaded, or function NtOcSetupProc
could not be found. Contact your system administrator. The specific
error code is 0x7f.

This is a new computer. I did a BIOS update and Windows critical
updates and still got this error.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows 2000 remove windows compents ntoc error
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Hi Laura,

    Thanks for posting!

    Based on my research, this issue may occur if the file ntoc.dll is
    corrupted during the installation of the Windows 2000.

    We may try to extract a new file from the setup CD-ROM.

    Suppose your CD-ROM driver letter is D:\

    The command line to extract it will be like below:

    "expand d:\i386\ntoc.dl_ c:\winnt\system32\ntoc.dll " (without the
    quotation marks)

    NOTE: Please perform the steps in Safe mode.

    Then try to open the Add/Remove Programs panel again.

    Hope it helps!

    Have a nice day!

    Best Regards,

    Jeff Qiu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

    --------------------
    >From: lespigh@mifflinmail.com (Laura)
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade
    >Subject: Windows 2000 Add/Remove Windows Compents ntoc.dll error
    >Date: 11 Nov 2004 11:03:52 -0800
    >microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade
    >
    >I need to install WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) on a
    >Windows 2000 with SP4. When I click on Add/Remove Windows Compents, I
    >get the following error:
    >
    >Setup library ntoc.dll could not be loaded, or function NtOcSetupProc
    >could not be found. Contact your system administrator. The specific
    >error code is 0x7f.
    >
    >This is a new computer. I did a BIOS update and Windows critical
    >updates and still got this error.

Windows 2000 Windows Management DLL Windows