New system, old GPU?

perpetual98

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Hi everyone! Long time lurker here. Thought I'd bounce an idea off of you. I'm building a new computer that will be almost an exclusively work computer. Mainly office stuff and a bunch of photoshop, maybe some video editing. Little to no gaming on this PC. I've got 2GB of PEP RAM coming, a 965P-DS3 mobo, an E6300 CPU and a Tuniq Tower 120 on the way. I'll probably play a little bit with overclocking.

Here's my dumb question. My computer at home that I do most of my gaming on has an old X300 or something graphics card. I could upgrade that card for gaming, but would it HINDER performance of my new computer if I put that old card in my new computer?

THX!

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
It'll be fine, It will only limit 3D gaming performance, so there won't be a huge difference between your new work computer and your home computer when it comes to gaming since most games are GPU limited.

For work applications it doesn't really matter.

perpetual98

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Thanks! That's kinda what I figured. I need to buy a new graphics card for my new computer, but I hate to waste money on something I won't use. Perhaps I'll buy a new X1950PRO or something like that for my home rig and put the X300 into the new system. Or I'll just swap computers and use my home rig at work and my new one for gaming. I just hate transferring all the programs and files. :(