Win NT question...

I have Windows NT workstation 4.0 installed on my home PC (got it from my
last place of work). The HD is using FAT not NTFS and has three partitions -
of which Drive C is the system partition where NT is installed.

I am having problems and have decided to just repalce NT with Win98 on this
machine (it's an older PC so can't install XP etc.. on it) This will do the
trick for what we use it for at home...

My question is this... All of our personal data is stored on the other
partitions - drive D and E. Can I format and install Win98 on the C
partition without having to backup all the data on my other two drives? ( i
do not have any means of backing it up really - floppies and that is it...)
or, will reformatting the C partition screw up the FAT? Does each partition
not have it's own FAT though??

Thanks,

Brad
1 answer Last reply
More about question
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Normally it shouldn't be a problem but you can never afford to be in a
    situation where you have no backups of critical data. Drives can and will
    fail.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Brad Pears" wrote:
    |I have Windows NT workstation 4.0 installed on my home PC (got it from my
    | last place of work). The HD is using FAT not NTFS and has three
    partitions -
    | of which Drive C is the system partition where NT is installed.
    |
    | I am having problems and have decided to just repalce NT with Win98 on
    this
    | machine (it's an older PC so can't install XP etc.. on it) This will do
    the
    | trick for what we use it for at home...
    |
    | My question is this... All of our personal data is stored on the other
    | partitions - drive D and E. Can I format and install Win98 on the C
    | partition without having to backup all the data on my other two drives?
    ( i
    | do not have any means of backing it up really - floppies and that is
    it...)
    | or, will reformatting the C partition screw up the FAT? Does each
    partition
    | not have it's own FAT though??
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Brad