Sign in with
Your question

Just got in a AGP 1650 pro..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 21, 2007 10:05:58 PM

Taking out a 9800 pro, can i just swap the cards ? or do i need to install newer drivers ?. Think i have 6.1 on there now ?.

Also, only have a 350 W PS and i know there was a link to somewhere that showed power consumption for video cards.. just wanted to know if this was suffficent power.. don't have much in the machine right now.

thanks.

Jeff.

More about : agp 1650 pro

March 21, 2007 10:14:34 PM

For AGP i dont think it will draw alot of power, it isnt that power hungry.

Just Swap cards, display wise it should be good but i suggest u get the newest Drivers for ATI/AMD which is catalyst 7.1
March 21, 2007 10:27:42 PM

If it's not a quality brand like Antec or FSP then you should definitely replace it, which would cost around 50$.
Related resources
March 21, 2007 10:33:58 PM

I have is an Antec 350W..

If i put it in with the 350 and it's not enough will it destroy it or just not work properly ?
March 21, 2007 10:40:50 PM

Quote:
Taking out a 9800 pro, can i just swap the cards ? or do i need to install newer drivers ?. Think i have 6.1 on there now ?.

Also, only have a 350 W PS and i know there was a link to somewhere that showed power consumption for video cards.. just wanted to know if this was suffficent power.. don't have much in the machine right now.

thanks.

Jeff.

This is what I and most people do when upgrading graphics:

Go to ATI's site and download the latest drivers onto desktop, don't install yet

uninstall old drivers, turn off comp

switch cards, turn on PC (The comp will have generic M$ drivers on, the lowest resolution and refresh rate will be enabled, good thing you don't have to search for new drivers while undergoing eye rape)

install the newest drivers (conveniently on your desktop)

Then you should be ok.

Your PSU should be enough but to be safe, like Dr_Asik said, you may want to replace it if it is a POS.

EDIT: an Antec 350W should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it
March 21, 2007 10:50:47 PM

I'm using a 260W no-brand 6 years old PSU without any problems with this setup:
C2D E6400
Asus P5B-E
2x512MB S*Talent DDR2-800 CL4-4-3-8
1x PCIe X1650 Pro 256MB
1x Raptor WD740GD 74GB SATA
1x Seagate ST380817 80GB SATA
1x CD burner TDK 32x CDRW321040B
1x DVD burner Samsung 18x SH-S182D
1x Sound Blaster Live! 1024 (for MIDI port)

I think you should be fine too :-)
March 21, 2007 11:01:23 PM

Antec is a reliable brand so I don't see this PSU exploding and ruining your life in its integrity. If it's not enough you'll experience random reboots and lockups.
March 21, 2007 11:02:23 PM

I just did the PSU caclulator on the Antec page and came up with 231 Watts using the x1650pro as the video card.. and all the other components i have in the machine which is pretty limited. i think it should work.

So.. get home from work, uninstall the old video drivers... insert new card, boot up.. install new drivers.. poof.. works great :)  hopefully.

Thanks all.

Jeff.
March 21, 2007 11:28:44 PM

260w with an X1650 PRO?

If it crashes during games, you know why...
March 25, 2007 3:14:13 AM

ok, well had time this morning to install.. didn't go all that well..

removed all the old stuff and poof booted back up and for some reason it kept finding the ATI driver.. and putting it back in.

deleted it several times, could not get it into VGA mode for the life of me.. think when it deleted the other ATI stuff it got some of the other critical drivers..

So.. put new card in and machine would not boot.. uh oh... figured maybe card doa or ps.. was neither.. seems i must have bumped something and it was loose.. reseated everything and it booted.. whew..

So.. i had downloaded 7.2 from the ATI web site.. go to open it and it gives me an error saying it can't open it, abort retry ignore.. tried it several times and downloaded it three times.. same story.. then was going to get omega drivers but decided to try CD that came with the card.. Poof that worked.. recognized the card and installed 8.3.02 driver..

So why would it not let me run the dam .exe from ATI for the 7.2 drivers.. i'm admin, no problems downloading, no firewall or stuff like that to keep it from loading..

Oh well ran BF2 today at all "medium" settings.. ran good machine stayed up for over and hour.. going to try "high" settings here in a bit.

any thoughts are appreciated..

Mouse..
March 25, 2007 10:01:15 AM

it didnt let you install cause u porbably didnt have a updated version of the .NET framework from microsoft. You should be able to install the new derivers now or follow the following for a clean reinstall------

lets do a few things here shall we:

1- go to google, and search for driver cleaner pro (download and install but do not run)

2- Keep the latest ATI drivers on your desktop aswell

3- Make sure you have all the windows update (specially the .NET framework). Install it if you dont

4- Just to be on the safe side download and keep the OMEGA drivers on your desktop

5- Uninstall your current drivers like u did before

6- reboot into safemode without any other application

7- run driver cleaner pro and select ati and click run to remove all ati related files

8- reboot into normal mode

9- install or try to install the new ati drivers

10- if that doesnt work, try the omega drivers (select normal drivers, and untick multires)

finally 11- let us know how it went
March 25, 2007 12:02:31 PM

You should be able to just replace the 9800 with 1650.You should update the drivers though,and I recommend going for a 500watt or better psu with 30amps on the 12v rail.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471
!