Problems upgrading from NT 4

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 14, 2004 12:27:36 AM

Hi

I'm trying to upgrade from NT 4, and am meeting with no success.

Here's what I've done so far:
In NT, I uninstalled everything that might not work with W2K (Easy CD,
video drivers, winpcap, scanner software). Put in the W2K CD, it copied
some stuff to the hard disk and then rebooted.

It gets far as "Starting Windows 2000", the numlock light goes off,
there's a bit of disk activity and it hangs.

I've tried several BIOS settings (PnP OS on and off, parallel port en-
and dis-abled, IDE en-, dis-abled and with DMA disabled). Always the
same. I've also tried with and without hitting F6 to add drivers for the
HBA.

I'm trying to install to a 1.2G partition on a 8.3G Quantum SCSI disk
(I have a 2nd 4G partition on a 2nd identical disk). I use grub on a 3rd
disk for boot control. The SCSI disks are attached to a Tekram DC390U2W
HBA (4 disks, DVD-ROM and scanner). I have an ATAPI DVD-RW. Matrox G400
w/32M RAM, SBLive!, cheapo RealTek 8139 LAN card, 1G or RAM.

Any ideas? I think I'll try booting directly from the Windows partition,
and see if that helps.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

More about : problems upgrading

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 1:59:40 AM

On 13 Dec 2004 21:27:36 GMT, Paul Floyd <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from NT 4, and am meeting with no success.
>
> Here's what I've done so far:
> In NT, I uninstalled everything that might not work with W2K (Easy CD,
> video drivers, winpcap, scanner software). Put in the W2K CD, it copied
> some stuff to the hard disk and then rebooted.
>
> It gets far as "Starting Windows 2000", the numlock light goes off,
> there's a bit of disk activity and it hangs.
>
> I've tried several BIOS settings (PnP OS on and off, parallel port en-
> and dis-abled, IDE en-, dis-abled and with DMA disabled). Always the
> same. I've also tried with and without hitting F6 to add drivers for the
> HBA.
>
> I'm trying to install to a 1.2G partition on a 8.3G Quantum SCSI disk
> (I have a 2nd 4G partition on a 2nd identical disk). I use grub on a 3rd
> disk for boot control. The SCSI disks are attached to a Tekram DC390U2W
> HBA (4 disks, DVD-ROM and scanner). I have an ATAPI DVD-RW. Matrox G400
> w/32M RAM, SBLive!, cheapo RealTek 8139 LAN card, 1G or RAM.
>
> Any ideas? I think I'll try booting directly from the Windows partition,
> and see if that helps.

Tried booting directly. No joy. Tried pulling the sound card. Then the
LAN adapter. Still stuck on that blue screen. Looks like I'll chuck in
the towel.

A bientot
Paul
--