Do I need to worry about the case speaker with my HDDs?

slitherjef

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I have a Lian-li case (PC-65B : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112040 ) and found I can turn the hard-drives sideways in the bottom cage. I may have to do this since I have a geforce 8800 GTS on the way to make some room. I am about worried though since the speaker is right under that bottom drive cage.

Is this speaker going to pose a problem for hard drives? I don't think it would, but just want to double check to make sure

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
but directly touching the magnet would screw the hdd, correct? i'm talking contact.

probably what happened to those two hdds that just randomly went bad... :roll:

billystringer

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
If you are speaking from a standpoint of the magnet destroying the data I would say no, it shouldn't pose a problem and your data should be safe.

-The String

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
well the thing is i had two perfectly good hdds just die randomly, wouldn't recognize under ANYTHING, i don't even think they'd spin up... all that i can figure is they may have touched the magnet in my case when i had them unsecured and was moving it around.

...which was dumb, btw :oops:

could it potentially mess up the mechanisms? as in not the data but virtually everything else?

oh and @ the OP, your super sexy expensive case better not eat any of your components. that would be hell.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
all hdd's have magnets within the drive for the heads, speaker magnets are weak compared so it shouldnt matter

really? hmmh. well i wonder what it was then, worked one instant and then not the next. thats about all that i could point out. oh well, thanks for the answer.

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
All HDDs are accurately shielded against external magnetic fields and you need a magnetic field at least 100 times stronger than the one a little PC speaker generates to damage an HDD even if it was unshielded.

eRazor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
If you should ever rip apart a dead out of warranty hard disk, you will see that there are two "rare earth" magnets inside. If you have ever experienced a rare earth magnet coming in contact with other metal (and tried prying them apart), you would have no concerns whatsoever in placing your hard disk on top of a 20 ounce sub-woofer magnet (ceramic).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare-earth_magnet

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
hey, thank you both eRazor and maury73, good compelling stuff. but its still bugging me, the culprit of the double-hdd-homocide. i'll probably never know. :cry:

thanks tho guys

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
yeah, perhaps... i'm not sure if that was real likely in a case without contact from other things... i know they were both grounded. however, thats probably a better theory.

oh well, i got my folks to split a new 160 gig with me, so i didn't end up needing those ancient 10 and 20 gig hdds... even though they'd be cool just for the sheer retro awesomeness that they exuded.

If you should ever rip apart a dead out of warranty hard disk, you will see that there are two "rare earth" magnets inside. If you have ever experienced a rare earth magnet coming in contact with other metal (and tried prying them apart), you would have no concerns whatsoever in placing your hard disk on top of a 20 ounce sub-woofer magnet (ceramic).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare-earth_magnet

try prying two of em apart - my friend swears i glued em together or something and they pinched my skin and frig that hurt!

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
hahaha thats the best thing i've heard in forever. i need to try that... i was gonna get some ubermagnets because i wanted to make some LED throwies a while back, but turns out i'm broke as shit, so... yeah :lol:

anyway, slitherjef, i think you'll be just fine. tell us how your build goes! that is a nice case you've got, i hope its a pretty comp when you're done. good luck!