tEh Final Coundown...[size=7]on deciding parts.[/size]

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Ok, I've been trying different configurations to get to my target $1300-$1400 for a total computer build price. This includes everything a person needs to enjoy a computer. It will be mainly for gaming, office, internet, dvd, music, etc. It needs to be quiet, cool, and extremely cost-efficient ($ per perf.)

Im young, and dont wanna blow all my money on it, so $1400 is prolly the most I can go, and even that is pushing it a lot.

This is a configuration I concocted, but it doesnt have windows included, which I need. The parts that are underlined are ones that i already have bought, for GREAT prices i might ad.

I can get Vista Prem Upgrade edition for $70 cause ima student, and then do the *SECRET* installation to do a *FULL* install with it, which would not give me any trouble, i think? XP isnt sold anymore...=(

And i will be doing this build next month after the price drops.

If you guys could help, it would be oh so appreciated. :)

Here it is:

e6600 ($215) or possible e6420 ($180)

2 gigs of ddr2 800, good quality $160 or less

antec p180 $80

antec trupower trio 650 watt $60

gigabyte ds3 about $120

8800gts 320 meg ($260 ish) or 8600gts($170 ish)

dvd writer ($30)

about 300 gig hdd ($70-80)

samsung 22" lcd (got for $190) (steal! ***msrp $400***)

mouse and keyboard combo (wireless or not?) (would this be enough?) ($30)

2.1 or 5.1 speaker set with good overall quality ($30)

***POSSIBLE****
scythe ninja, for overall price/performance quiet operation? ($40)

tahnk you in teh advance. :D

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
mouse and keyboard combo (wireless or not?) (would this be enough?) ($30)
2.1 or 5.1 speaker set with good overall quality ($30)

Where you going to find this stuff that cheap? Any 2.1 or especially 5.1 speaker system that costs $30 is going to be awful. You really need to spend at least $100 to get a decent 2.1 system, $200 for 5.1. The mouse/keyboard is also going to be very basic at $30 with so-so quality and very little in the way of extra features. And good luck going wireless at that price...

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
well, i mean, i dont think i have enough money to invest in great speakers, but ive heard you can get a good deal for $30, and i *COULD* have gotten wireless combo fro $30 after rebates.

see, i get stuff only when its on sale, so if i see a deal for wireless combo, but its for office stuff, should i get it?
Im even thinkin i could get wired combo or sh!t liek it for near that price.
I can upgrade that for x-mas or soemthing, but i jsut need a mouse and keyboard that is just good quality, and good perf, for good price.

Anything on the more important parts of the build? :D

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Definitely go wired at that price. Actually, if you plan on gaming at all I highly recommend avoiding wireless mice at all costs.

I assume you're waiting for price drops on the processor?

akhilles

Splendid
If you're not overclocking, you don't need ninja. For that matter, any aftermarket fan. The bios can control cpu fan speed.

If you're overclocking, I wouldn't touch P965 anymore. *shock* Why? Cuz i've seen the light.... I've o/c'ed 680i. It took me 1 try to get from 2.4 to 3.6ghz. My DQ6 took me days. If 680i is expensive to you, then ASUS P5N-E SLI costs about the same as DS3. 650i is about the same as 680i in terms of bios options. It'll be my next chipset. Basically, P965 o/c's at a cpu/ram ratio. Very limiting. 650i/680i o/c's cpu & ram independently. *hint* You can save money from buying expensive ram to o/c with 650i & e6300 & cheap value ram. o/c cpu. ram at stock.

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, but i highly doubt im gonna oc more than 3 ghz on the e6600, or about 2.6 ish on the e6420...

so, what ur saying is that i dont need the scythe ninja?

anybody else have any opinions on my setup.?

I like your list and plan. A clean install of Vista should be no problem; much better than trying to upgrade later. Go with a wired keyboard and mouse unless you need the remote capability. Go to a nearby comp store and check out the keyboards and mice. Some compusa stores are having store closing sales. You will find some that fit you better, or otherwise appeal to you.
As a poor student, dont plan on overclocking. Just use the system and enjoy. The 8800gts and c2d will be very satisfying, without the risk of having to replace some blown part.
If you have a place to put rear speakers, then go for a 5.1 sustem. The better ones have bigger subwoofer units.

You can also check e-bay for deals. Look for individuals who are upgrading, and just trying to recover some of their costs.

---good luck---

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
well, i found 5.1 creative speakers for $40, and today they have the razor diamondback for $40, and logitec g15 (not sure) for $60 at bestbuy, shopuld i get those?

and for the proc, should i get the e6600 after the price drops ($214), or should i get an e6420 ($180)?

how does OCZ ram work with the DS3?

i can get CAS 4 2 gig OCZ for $130 ish, should i get?

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
yeah, but do you think i should buy now at $130, because im not building till the end of april.

also, which of those procs should i get?

and concerning the speakers keyboard and mouse...?

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
E6600

Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard

Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse
or
Logitech G7 Gaming Mouse
or
Razer DeathAdder Gaming Mouse

Buy the RAM now if you want but at the end of April the Intel prices drop which will allow you some extra money for better RAM. The Corsair XMS2 series is great.