gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Got an old pc lying about and im considering making it into a HTPC. I dont like any of the cases on the market, they all look a bit.. samey... nothing new. So ive decided to have a crack at it myself. I have designs and plans laid out. But ive decided i want a little LCD screen for the front. First of all does anyone know where i find a range of them (im in the UK so need to be able to deliver out here) I'm looking for a screen about 12-13cm by 4-5cm that would be perfect.

If that fails, has anyone tried taking apart a digital photo frame and seeing if it is possible to attach that? theyre as cheap as hell these days

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Not to mention they generally only accept mATX and look aweful (in my opinion) when i get chance, ill post up what im designing. It should accomodate 4 harddrives 2 120mm fans 2 60mm fans a decent heatsink large power supply and even SLi/Crossfire, the one downside is it will have to have a laptop cddrive in but that means i can have a slot drive which looks much better

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
well they are very expensive, and i was thinking of just a standard 2-tone LCD screen, nothing too fancy.. those things in the UK cost a fortune, but atleast i can look at it for ideas.

I've seen the IMON screens but i dont want the volume knob, otherwise thats perfect... might be worth buying one and modding it

Jodym2

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I recienty Got the Zalman HD 160 B for my HTPC they have a more expensive model with the touch screen LCD. I just use a old 17" LCD under my TV for reading and a second screen. The 160 B has a Vacume Floresent Display that works well with Media Center Mode on Windows MCE 05. I've tryed lots of other cases like the Antec Overture but it did not have adiquit cooling. This case has dual 8 CM Fans in the rear. It also comes with a Media Center remote for $289

DSCN3437.jpg

Cooler Master has an affordable tower that converts into a HTPC for only $100

ZalmanHD160B.jpg

I used my Old DFI Lanparty Expert and Opty 170 it's defenetly ATX
DSCN2388.jpg

Old Pic before Zalman Case and Pre LCD

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
thanks for the input, was looking for one of those zalman cases and i can't seem to find any here in the uk (only did a quick google search). I like the look of it, but generally zalman are pricey, and over here we pay more for everything. God hates the british. anyway, the other thing i have with this case, and many others is the dimensions. it is again a fairly tall case, something which may not mean much to urself, but i think they look a bit "dumpy" and because of the location im putting it, it will only just fit. if at all!