Do Wireless Routers give out wireless signals when not used?

aveitlarge

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I'm using a Netgear wireless router and would like to know, if when no devices are connecting to it, is it still giving out wireless signals?

Also my partner thinks when she uses her laptop wirelessly she may be getting a headacke and feeling dizzy, has anyone else experienced this?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'm using a Netgear wireless router and would like to know, if when no devices are connecting to it, is it still giving out wireless signals?
Yes, unless you specifically disable it. Also, unless you disable it, it will be broadcasting its SSID, which is probably set by default to "Netgear" or some such.

Also my partner thinks when she uses her laptop wirelessly she may be getting a headacke and feeling dizzy, has anyone else experienced this?
A dizzy partner? Sure, that's pretty common! :lol:

A partner getting a headache? Nightly, once you've been married for a couple of years! :lol:

aveitlarge

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I've got my router set to not broadcast the SSID and using WPA security. The wireless light doesn't flash when nothing is connected therefore would I be correct in thinking no wireless signals are transmitting from the router?

Also if this is the case, if a computer is connected though not sending much data, would there be less signals?

winter-uk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
even if you disable ssid brodcast...it still brodcast beacons...just there is no ssid there for most software doesnt pick it up....stuff like kismit can but will state <no ssid>. Dont worrie most software cant join with out atuly knowing the ssid which the wireless ap will respond to. yep its possible to do so linux