Sign in with
Your question

First Custom Computer - Need Advice/Help

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2007 12:37:54 AM

Alright, well I've decided to spend my money on a new computer because quite frankly, mine has become a piece of trash that can't run newer applications.

Current Computer:

Pentium 4 2.6GHz
GeForce FX5500 128MB
1GB DDR Ram
Some crappy Mobo, doesn't even have AGP slot. xD

I've been doing some reading and price seeking for the past few weeks and have came to the conclusion of ordering off of NewEgg. Here we go!

New Computer:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz ($183) I hear it has good overclocking abilities.

eVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI-E ($286.12) Way cheap-awesome graphics card.

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA775 nforce 650i ATX ($126.99) Has everything I'll need.

Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ($70.01) Cheap.

A-DATA 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800 ($139.99) Very affordable for it's power.

Western Digital Caviar 160GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0GB ($58.93) It's size is perfect, I never use more than 80GB anyway. + Affordable

Total w/ Shipping = $887.99 out of $900 (Still need case >.<)

If you noticed, I don't have a case as of now. My money is very low and investing in one might be a problem. Now, what I plan on doing with this computer is mainly gaming. I'm getting the SLI gear now so when I decide to invest in another 8800GTS, I'm set. I also will overclock my CPU and GPU in the future once I can afford the appropriate coolers.

Questions:

1. Is the power supply fully compatible with a single or SLI 8800?
2. Will the ram be okay? I know it's kind of a generic brand, but it's specs are mainly identical with others.
3. Any ideas on a cheap desktop ATX-Mid case?

If there's anything I missed, please point it out. All help is greatly appreciated, thank you. :D 

More about : custom computer advice

March 22, 2007 1:28:50 AM

WELCOME TO THE FORUMZ!

1. Is the power supply fully compatible with a single or SLI 8800?
2. Will the ram be okay? I know it's kind of a generic brand, but it's specs are mainly identical with others.
3. Any ideas on a cheap desktop ATX-Mid case?

1. Compatible with SLi.
2. A Data is fine.
3. CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Evo or the Antec p190.
March 22, 2007 1:37:31 AM

Thanks for the reply Proof.

Uhh, the CoolerMaster Stacker 830 is like $250. :cry: 
I assume you were referring to the Antec p180... $130 :?

The way it looks, I'm going to have to clear some desk space and set my rig up w/out a case. :D 

Great airflow?

By the way, I'll notice a dramatic difference in performance once I switch from my current computer right?
Related resources
March 22, 2007 2:10:12 AM

I may end up sticking with my current case. I'm pretty sure it's big enough. (Crosses fingers x.x)

I switched PSUs for the sake of saving money. Unless I can find a nice $30 case (+shipping).. I think I'm ready to purchase, but I'll wait for more comments.
March 22, 2007 2:50:10 AM

I wouldn't skimp on the PSU. It would be a shame for you to get a dodgy cheap PSU that can't keep steady power and ruin the rest of you new PC. There are plenty of ok-ish cases out there for not much money, the one in your link doesn't look too bad, its cheap, so don't expect good build quality, I got a cheap one and it does the job. :p 
March 22, 2007 2:57:05 AM

Garbage PSU. Sorry, but it's true. Going SLI with 8800GTS's on that? I wouldn't, not even maybe. And overclocking on top of that? No way, ditch that PSU.

If you're gonna drop $70 on a garbage PSU, might as well spend another $30 and get something decent. Antec Trio, OCZ GameXstream.....even an FSP is better. Rosewill is junk, it's Newegg's branded no-name PSU's. You never know what you're getting. Even if you have to go $20 over your $900 budget, it's definitely worth the investment on getting a quality PSU. If it pooches out, it can take the rest of your system with it. I wouldn't take that chance for a difference of $30.

And to cut down on the budget, get the 4300 CPU, it's cheaper and will overclock very nicely due to the 9x multiplier. And then technically, you could go with 667 RAM instead of 800 and save some money there too. But just swapping to the 4300 and putting that money into a better PSU is a VERY wise investment.
March 22, 2007 3:17:37 AM

Big update taking Sky and fred's advice.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 Processor Model ($169)

Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W ($99.99)

Linkworld 3210-04-C2628 Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower ($21.99)

I'm not sure if I should get a G. Skill 5-5-5-15 or 4-4-4-12 667.

I'm not effecting my computer's productivity TOO much by downgrading these components am I? I don't think that there's much of a difference between the processors imo.

Well, the ram all costs the same $114.99, so I come up to $898.76 with everything.
March 22, 2007 3:30:20 AM

Not too sure if you will notice much performance difference. Check out Toms CPU Charts. I'm not to sure when it comes to RAM, but I'm pretty sure that lower timings are better. Looks like a nice comp. :) 
March 22, 2007 10:11:56 AM

Yeah, the PSU is complete junk. Try a Thermaltake, OCZ, or even the new Corsair ones. The Corsair PSUs are excllent.
March 22, 2007 11:26:13 AM

Even the Antec Trio is junk? But you just recommended it to me.. :wink:

I made a mistake on the ram. The A-DATA 800 that I had is about the same price as the 667 ram. (There's a -$60 off on the A-DATA) So I'll go ahead and keep this ram just because it's a good deal.

The E4300 won't bottleneck my 800 ram too much will it? I'll overclock in the future.
March 22, 2007 1:44:33 PM

Yea, get that PSU alcattle suggests instead.

Get the A-Data RAM 800, it'll do fine.

No, the 4300 won't bottleneck. And when you decide to overclock, your CPU, PSU, and RAM will handle it.

For you mobo, the ASUS P5N-E is a bit touchy from what I hear. You should seriously consider the MSI P6N 650i instead.....apparently getting very good reviews, more stable, less touchy with RAM settings, etc. Read some reviews. Take a look, good price too:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
March 22, 2007 11:47:48 PM

After much consideration, I've finally placed my order and it all should arrive Tuesday. I thank you all for the help and I now understand that I would of regretted some of the bad choices I would had made on my own.

CPU: Intel C2D E4300 1.8GHz
VGA: eVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
PSU: Antec True Power Trio 650W
RAM: A-DATA 2G (2x1G) DDR2 800
MOB: MSI P6N nForce 650i ATX
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

I even managed to get a case!

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It all came up to $902.32, dad payed the extra $2.32. :wink:

LAST QUESTIONS!

If you read my current computer specs, this one should completely blow it away right? I can barely run games on low right now. Think I can get max quality pretty easily?

I know I that I didn't buy any extra fans or anything, but I had an idea! What if I just took the side off of my case? I'd think the air flow would be pretty stable. It sits in an isolated area under my desk, so I don't see how it wouldn't work.
March 22, 2007 11:52:03 PM

You probably wouldn't be able to run F.E.A.R, DOOM III, Unreal Tournament 2007, Quake 4, Oblivion, none of those big, demanding games at max settings and resolution.
March 23, 2007 12:03:25 AM

Quote:
You probably wouldn't be able to run F.E.A.R, DOOM III, Unreal Tournament 2007, Quake 4, Oblivion, none of those big, demanding games at max settings and resolution.

8O You've got to be kidding me. (sigh) Oh well! I don't play any of those anyway. I have Guild Wars, Age of Empires 3, Call of Duty 2, and The Sims to play. :p 

Just out of curiosity.. What does it take to run those games at max?
March 23, 2007 12:12:16 AM

VERY nice specs DW! Well done, much better than what you started with. It's a great setup, and you should have alot of fun with it.

And be sure to thank your dad for covering the $2.32, becuase without it you'd be stuck with your current rig ;)  And yes, your new rig will kick A$$.

You could take the side off the case, that would work. But watch out for dust collecting inside the case. Later you can spend $30 and get 2 new 120mm fans hopefully and put the side panel back on.

Good luck, let us know how the build goes!
March 23, 2007 12:38:57 AM

Quote:
VERY nice specs DW! Well done, much better than what you started with. It's a great setup, and you should have alot of fun with it.

And be sure to thank your dad for covering the $2.32, becuase without it you'd be stuck with your current rig ;)  And yes, your new rig will kick A$$.

You could take the side off the case, that would work. But watch out for dust collecting inside the case. Later you can spend $30 and get 2 new 120mm fans hopefully and put the side panel back on.

Good luck, let us know how the build goes!

Yes, and it was with a lot of your help. Thank you kind sir, I'm already getting impatient for the delivery.
March 23, 2007 12:44:20 AM

LOL, I know what ya mean. I probably check the tracking number 2 or 3 times a day......like it makes a difference LOL.

When you build it, just take your time and make sure everything's connected. Build it on a big piece of cardboard (motherboard won't short out on the cardboard) and get it working, then put it all in the case ;) 
March 23, 2007 12:51:01 AM

I thought I'd get it Tuesday with the 3 Business day shipping, but I just read that it can take up to two days to process order. :cry: 

And yeah, my dad is going to help me with it and he's a pro at this stuff.
March 23, 2007 1:19:25 AM

Ok hold on, Im reading your mind. Sony Vaio PCV-RS410 with 256mb stock, (u upgraded), an asus kirin-v mobo that sony ripped the 4x agp slot out of.
March 23, 2007 1:24:39 AM

Quote:
Ok hold on, Im reading your mind. Sony Vaio PCV-RS410 with 256mb stock, (u upgraded), an asus kirin-v mobo that sony ripped the 4x agp slot out of.

Uhm, if you're trying to guess my currt computer, you're a little off. I got this thing like 5 years ago. HP Pavilion a345w.
March 23, 2007 2:50:22 AM

At least an SLi with 8800GTS or one 8800GTX. A nice 3GHz Conroe helps but the higher end X2s will do it as well. I max out F.E.A.R. on my 5200+ (2.6 @ 3.01GHz) with an eVGA 8800GTX. I just ordered the specs in my sig which I plan to OC to at least 3.4 and the RAM to 1GHz. I will be able to max out anything (maybe not Oblivion) on that.
!