P5N-E dilemma - pls help

rawj

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I received a new pre-configured PC recently with: P5N-E SLI, e6600, GeIL DDR2-800 CAS 5 (2 X 1GB), Ultra XVS 700W PSU, etc. Everything seemed fine out of the box - ran 3DMark06 5 times, no issues... when I ran CPU-Z, I noticed that my RAM timings (under Memory tab) were strange: 5-5-5-31. My memory is rated at 5-5-5-15 so I thought I'd enter BIOS and tighten up the tRAS a little... note: all settings were on AUTO at this point.

I went in and manually changed the timings from AUTO to 5-5-5-15 1T. I thought I'd try a low-mid voltage option as well, so I went with 2.012v (was the second lowest option - reco RAM voltage says 1.8-2.2). Save and Exit. The machine then attempted to load up Windows but arrived at the screen giving me 3 diff safe mode choices, or normal windows mode... I went with the 1st safe mode choice.... next thing I know, the system hung... I waited for 30 seconds or so, system was unresponsive, so I had no choice but to hold power button down. Figured I would just power back up and enter BIOS, change the voltage and 5 timings back to AUTO... power on, get my Asus startup splash screen where I can either enter BIOS setup or post to Windows, but system is unresponsive. I press DEL key for setup, but nothing. It eventually brings up the beginning Windows-loading screen, but verrrrrrry slowly... until I get a BSOD (said something about the mobo not being ACPI compliant, etc.). Only way out is to hold power button. After a couple of attempts at powering back up, I found that if I hold the DEL key right after hitting power button, I can get in to BIOS setup page................ but I can not navigate at all. No response from the keyboard. The clock ticks, but I've noticed the date is off (actually can't verify that the BIOS date was accurate before all this, but I think it was - now it says Nov 31 2006).

All I have is a mobo support CD (which has an app called Asus CrashFree BIOS 2 utility) but it does me no good since my system is basically frozen the moment I power up (except for being able to register a DEL keystroke in order to enter setup) But again, once in setup, I can't move cursor anyway.

Good grief, I feel sick. All I changed were the main timings & voltage from AUTO to the RAM manufacturers normal specs. Now I have a frozen PC. Can anyone offer some guidance please?

rawj

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I inadvertantly stumbled on an apparent Asus "cpr" feature... disconnect power AC cord for an hour (ha, prob 5 seconds) then plug it back in and power on... I posted right to windows - then was able to enter setup and change those settings back (like a dog with his tail between his legs lol)

thx!