another 98 to 2000 issue

I made the four floppys- but when I get to disc 2 setupdd.sys fails to
install and all stops. error code 7
any ideas?

net helpmsg 7
returns with
"The storage control blocks were destroyed" which almost always means bad or
mismatched RAM

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"pgnet" wrote:
|I made the four floppys- but when I get to disc 2 setupdd.sys fails to
| install and all stops. error code 7
| any ideas?

thanks dave, however I never get far enough to make Any choices, disc one
begins and finishes then asks for disc 2 .
disc 2 begins and part way through I get the error 7.
win 98 is up and working. cant iinstall 2000 still
"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> net helpmsg 7
> returns with
> "The storage control blocks were destroyed" which almost always means bad
or
> mismatched RAM
>
> To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or
setup
> disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
> CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
> makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
> prompts.
>
> When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
partitions
> found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
> restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
> letter assignments with your new install.
>
> Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any
network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "pgnet" wrote:
> |I made the four floppys- but when I get to disc 2 setupdd.sys fails to
> | install and all stops. error code 7
> | any ideas?

This may help.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

--

"pgnet" wrote:
| thanks dave, however I never get far enough to make Any choices, disc one
| begins and finishes then asks for disc 2 .
| disc 2 begins and part way through I get the error 7.
| win 98 is up and working. cant iinstall 2000 still

there must be a conflict of some sort. one stinkin setupdd.sys fails to
load....arrrgh