another 98 to 2000 issue

I made the four floppys- but when I get to disc 2 setupdd.sys fails to
install and all stops. error code 7
any ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about another 2000 issue
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    net helpmsg 7
    returns with
    "The storage control blocks were destroyed" which almost always means bad or
    mismatched RAM

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "pgnet" wrote:
    |I made the four floppys- but when I get to disc 2 setupdd.sys fails to
    | install and all stops. error code 7
    | any ideas?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    thanks dave, however I never get far enough to make Any choices, disc one
    begins and finishes then asks for disc 2 .
    disc 2 begins and part way through I get the error 7.
    win 98 is up and working. cant iinstall 2000 still
    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > net helpmsg 7
    > returns with
    > "The storage control blocks were destroyed" which almost always means bad
    or
    > mismatched RAM
    >
    > To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or
    setup
    > disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    > CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    > makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    > prompts.
    >
    > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
    partitions
    > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
    > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
    > letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    > Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any
    network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "pgnet" wrote:
    > |I made the four floppys- but when I get to disc 2 setupdd.sys fails to
    > | install and all stops. error code 7
    > | any ideas?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    This may help.

    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    --

    "pgnet" wrote:
    | thanks dave, however I never get far enough to make Any choices, disc one
    | begins and finishes then asks for disc 2 .
    | disc 2 begins and part way through I get the error 7.
    | win 98 is up and working. cant iinstall 2000 still
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    there must be a conflict of some sort. one stinkin setupdd.sys fails to
    load....arrrgh
    > This may help.
    >
    > http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "pgnet" wrote:
    > | thanks dave, however I never get far enough to make Any choices, disc
    one
    > | begins and finishes then asks for disc 2 .
    > | disc 2 begins and part way through I get the error 7.
    > | win 98 is up and working. cant iinstall 2000 still

Microsoft Windows