Building my First PC

JoshuaC

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
My PC is getting really old and things are starting to break down on it so I need a new one. I've never built a PC so what is everything I would need for about $1000 total.

I prefer ATi graphics cards but everything else doesn't matter as long as it works with everything else.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Need some more info:

-what will this system be used for?
-if it's used for gaming, do you want a DX10 card now or upgrade later?
-do you need a monitor, etc included in the budget, or just the tower?
-do you need an OS included in the budget? If so, which OS do you prefer?
-any case preferences, etc?
-do you plan on overclocking?

JoshuaC

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
Ah yes I should of put some more detail into my first post.

It's gonna be a gaming PC.
DX10 is still very new and not used much in alot of game right now so I'll be upgrading one it's proven it's price tag.
Monitor is needed so suggestions would be nice on which brands are good for gaming.
I'm sticking to XP till Vista is more compatible with most things so I'll need to buy another copy.
I want a good looking case but it doesn't matter if it has flashy lights and clear windows just something cheap and functional.
I don't plan on overclocking.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Well, if you need a monitor, that'll run you $200. So you only have $800 to actually work with for the rest of the system.

So, take a look at this thread, you'll be looking for the systems in the $750 range since you have $800 to work with. The $50 difference will probably cover tax, shipping, etc. So you want a system in the $750 heading.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=228067&highlight=

JoshuaC

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
$1000 is a rough estimate of what I wanted to stay at I can go over I just want to keep it around that price.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
-Centurion 534 case
-Core2Duo 4300 CPU
-Biostar TForce 965PT mobo
-2 gigs DDR2-667 Value RAM
-250 gig Western Digital hard drive or 250 gig Seagate Barracuda
-Samsung SH-S182 DVD/RW
-Antec True Power Trio 550w power supply
-EVGA 8800GTS 320mg graphics card. IF you can swing the extra bit of cash, it's worth it
-Samsung 960BF monitor, jump on this deal NOW, it is amazing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001209

That'll take you a bit over the $1000, but it's worth it. If you really need to cut down the budget, go for an EVGA 7600GT instead for your graphics card, and then get a DX10 card for Christmas.

JoshuaC

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
Thanks for the help!

Once I get those parts I need to put them together and I've never done that. Do you have any guides on how to put them together with installing the OS?

DwLee

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Thanks for the help!

Once I get those parts I need to put them together and I've never done that. Do you have any guides on how to put them together with installing the OS?

I'm a newb at computer building myself, but if I were I'd take more time in choosing your parts. Listen to other people's views and opinions and I'm sure you won't regret anything. Be picky with your $1000+ investment.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
DwLee is correct. I am one person, don't just listen to me. It's your money, and it's a big investment.

There are other parts that could work, you might find some better deals. Check around, compare prices, let some other people here give some advice and opinions. My suggestions would work, but they are by no means the only option.

As for how to build, read this:
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm

JoshuaC

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
Hey what ATi card would go well with the parts suggested? I'm going to upgrade to DX10 when it's proven to be needed in alot of games and right now very few show even the option to run DX10.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Depends how much you want to spend on the ATI graphics card.

-X1900GT
-X1950PRO

These are two that are probably in your price range.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Good specs there! Well done. Only ONE comment: if you're planning on overclocking (I can't remember), then spend a BIT more money and get some G.Skill RAM for budget OC'ing. If you're not OC'ing, then that RAM is fine.

GPU......depends on your budget and how hardcore you want, and how soon you wanna upgrade. An 8800GTS will spank most anything and will last quite awhile. It's a bit more expensive, but it'll save you from upgrade to DX10, and it blows away any current DX9 card. Plus, it's really not that much more money when you look at the total cost of your overall build.

Just something to consider. Give it some thought......

JoshuaC

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
I don't plan on OC'ing so I'm sure I'll be fine with the ram.

I'm not ready to go into DX10 yet maybe in a year or 2 once some games come out that use it. I'm trying to decide on what X1950 I want to get. Will I have enough room in the case for a long video card?

Here's the few I'm trying to decide on right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195029
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161059
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131030

I'm also open to some DX9 Nvidia card suggestions if there's any that are better for around the same price.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Well, the second two both take up 2 slots at the rear of your case, so dunno if that's a factor for you. HIS is known for good cooling, and the price is decent, I've heard good things about HIS from a number of sources.

The 3rd one with the Accelero card.....a number of people around here have the same cooler. I've not heard any negatives about it, but I've not heard raving reviews either.

The stock cooler is ok. So I guess it's a question of whether you want to spend the extra money for the better cooler, and if so, then which one. Honestly, my opinion is the HIS. Can't go wrong, it's the safe bet and a reasonable price. Should last you for quite awhile, and will help keep the card cooler. Can't complain there. It takes up 2 slots, but unless you have your other slots full of sound card and other stuff, you should be fine.

I'd vote for the HIS.

JoshuaC

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
Thanks I'll go what that one.

One more question and then I'll be set. Do I need to get a sound card or will it have onboard audio? If I do need a sound card what would be a good cheap card just for headphones no surround sound.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Use the onboard. Onboard nowadays is actually quite good, you'd be surprised. And especially if you're just using headphones, it'll be more than fine.

Besides, if you find out that for some reason you need better audio (which I doubt), you can always pick up a sound card for pretty cheap afterwards. No need to get it now and find out it's not necessary and waste your money.

But I'd bet onboard will suit you fine. It's not crappy setup like they used to be. The current Realtek, etc audio drivers are quite good. Lots of tweaking options, equalizer settings, presets.....lots of goodies to suit your particular tastes. I'm sure you'll be happy with onboard.

JoshuaC

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
Thanks for all the help you've given me. I'll start ordering parts Monday and should have all the parts within a month or less. Once I get them I'll make sure to report back if everything went together well.