Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

probs upgrading Win2kPro to WinXPPro

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 11:49:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Hi,

I have used the XPPro upgrade cd to upgrade my 2k Pro installation on my
COMPAQ EN Slimline desktop (Celeron 733).
After running setup from within windows it copies file to the HD and then
reboots. At the boot screen I have choice of 2k or XP setup. I choose XP
setup and setup starts. When setup tries to verify C drive (my win2k
installation) an error message is displayed indicating that maybe I don't
have enough RAM (320MB) or the CD has corrupt files. This is not true since
this CD was used to upgrade another PC in our company (OEM MSDN CD). If I
restart and choose to boot into 2k I get a stop error 7B (inaccessable boot
device). This appears after the 2k logo screen appears and while the blue
progress bar is half way.
I have already tried to use the recovery console to fix the boot partition,
but not the mbr since I can still see the data on the HD. I have tried
removing the CD drive so that I only have the HD on the IDE. It still can't
boot into 2k.

Please help. I have several programs installed that would take some time to
reinstall into XP.

Regards,
Ben
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 12:13:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Try a boot floppy. To start the operating system try creating a boot floppy.
For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain the
"NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a
DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy
ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it;

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 0,1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 0,2"
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 1,1"
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 1,2"


--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ben_in_AUS" wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I have used the XPPro upgrade cd to upgrade my 2k Pro installation on my
| COMPAQ EN Slimline desktop (Celeron 733).
| After running setup from within windows it copies file to the HD and then
| reboots. At the boot screen I have choice of 2k or XP setup. I choose XP
| setup and setup starts. When setup tries to verify C drive (my win2k
| installation) an error message is displayed indicating that maybe I don't
| have enough RAM (320MB) or the CD has corrupt files. This is not true
since
| this CD was used to upgrade another PC in our company (OEM MSDN CD). If I
| restart and choose to boot into 2k I get a stop error 7B (inaccessable
boot
| device). This appears after the 2k logo screen appears and while the blue
| progress bar is half way.
| I have already tried to use the recovery console to fix the boot
partition,
| but not the mbr since I can still see the data on the HD. I have tried
| removing the CD drive so that I only have the HD on the IDE. It still
can't
| boot into 2k.
|
| Please help. I have several programs installed that would take some time
to
| reinstall into XP.
|
| Regards,
| Ben
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 12:13:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Thanks Dave. Already done.
Booted into the recovery console and restored
those 3 original files from the 2k CD.
Was then able to boot into 2k and upgrade to XP.
This time I copied the XP CD to HD and run
setup from the HD. No probs this time.

Regards,
Ben_in_AUS

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Try a boot floppy. To start the operating system try creating a boot floppy.
> For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain the
> "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a
> DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy
> ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it;
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=10
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 0,1"
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 0,2"
> multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 1,1"
> multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 1,2"
>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Ben_in_AUS" wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I have used the XPPro upgrade cd to upgrade my 2k Pro installation on my
> | COMPAQ EN Slimline desktop (Celeron 733).
> | After running setup from within windows it copies file to the HD and then
> | reboots. At the boot screen I have choice of 2k or XP setup. I choose XP
> | setup and setup starts. When setup tries to verify C drive (my win2k
> | installation) an error message is displayed indicating that maybe I don't
> | have enough RAM (320MB) or the CD has corrupt files. This is not true
> since
> | this CD was used to upgrade another PC in our company (OEM MSDN CD). If I
> | restart and choose to boot into 2k I get a stop error 7B (inaccessable
> boot
> | device). This appears after the 2k logo screen appears and while the blue
> | progress bar is half way.
> | I have already tried to use the recovery console to fix the boot
> partition,
> | but not the mbr since I can still see the data on the HD. I have tried
> | removing the CD drive so that I only have the HD on the IDE. It still
> can't
> | boot into 2k.
> |
> | Please help. I have several programs installed that would take some time
> to
> | reinstall into XP.
> |
> | Regards,
> | Ben
>
>
>
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 6:24:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Thanks for letting us know.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ben_in_AUS" wrote:
| Thanks Dave. Already done.
| Booted into the recovery console and restored
| those 3 original files from the 2k CD.
| Was then able to boot into 2k and upgrade to XP.
| This time I copied the XP CD to HD and run
| setup from the HD. No probs this time.
|
| Regards,
| Ben_in_AUS
!