Permission Problem After Upgrading NT 4 Server

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 25, 2005 2:49:02 AM

Hi All,

Recently I tried to upgrade my NT 4 PDC to Windows 2003 Server, the whole
process to setup the AD seems like smoothly... but after setup the AD &
restart, I can't access to System, Application, DNS event except security.
Anyone got any idea what's wrong with it??

The server configurations:
AD: mycompanyname.local
DNS: 127.0.0.1
AD Mode: Pre-Windows 2000

Thanks.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:24:48 AM

The files may be corrupt. Control Panel|Services|Event Log Service|General,
set the "Startup Type:" to "Disabled" restart the pc, then delete (or move)
the corrupt *.Evt from %systemroot%\system32\config then set the Event Log
Service "Startup Type:" back to "Automatic", restart for effect.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"ultraman" wrote:
| Hi All,
|
| Recently I tried to upgrade my NT 4 PDC to Windows 2003 Server, the whole
| process to setup the AD seems like smoothly... but after setup the AD &
| restart, I can't access to System, Application, DNS event except security.
| Anyone got any idea what's wrong with it??
|
| The server configurations:
| AD: mycompanyname.local
| DNS: 127.0.0.1
| AD Mode: Pre-Windows 2000
|
| Thanks.

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:33:01 PM

I haven't tried that out but when I created another user and grant him
administrator right I can logon & check the event log without any problem. I
also tried using existing user account who got the administrator right also
without any problem.

Btw, the AD is up, PDC emulator is up too, all my client(Win98/WinXP) can
logon without any problem.

Thanks for reply.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> The files may be corrupt. Control Panel|Services|Event Log Service|General,
> set the "Startup Type:" to "Disabled" restart the pc, then delete (or move)
> the corrupt *.Evt from %systemroot%\system32\config then set the Event Log
> Service "Startup Type:" back to "Automatic", restart for effect.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "ultraman" wrote:
> | Hi All,
> |
> | Recently I tried to upgrade my NT 4 PDC to Windows 2003 Server, the whole
> | process to setup the AD seems like smoothly... but after setup the AD &
> | restart, I can't access to System, Application, DNS event except security.
> | Anyone got any idea what's wrong with it??
> |
> | The server configurations:
> | AD: mycompanyname.local
> | DNS: 127.0.0.1
> | AD Mode: Pre-Windows 2000
> |
> | Thanks.

January 27, 2005 12:06:54 AM

Then the profile is probably corrupt.

--

"ultraman" wrote:
|I haven't tried that out but when I created another user and grant him
| administrator right I can logon & check the event log without any problem.
| also tried using existing user account who got the administrator right
also
| without any problem.
|
| Btw, the AD is up, PDC emulator is up too, all my client(Win98/WinXP) can
| logon without any problem.
|
| Thanks for reply.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 9:09:03 PM

I have just done an exact same upgrade. NT to 2k3. After the upgrade and
when I logon as the local domain administrator account I cannot access any of
the logs. This is not just on one this one server, but the two other DC's I
have installed on the domain. The adminstrator account is in the Enterprise
admin group. If I logon with another user who is in the local domain admin
group I can access the logs without any issue.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

Mike B.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Then the profile is probably corrupt.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "ultraman" wrote:
> |I haven't tried that out but when I created another user and grant him
> | administrator right I can logon & check the event log without any problem.
> | also tried using existing user account who got the administrator right
> also
> | without any problem.
> |
> | Btw, the AD is up, PDC emulator is up too, all my client(Win98/WinXP) can
> | logon without any problem.
> |
> | Thanks for reply.

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 11:30:57 PM

Check that the domain account is a member of the local administrators group.

--

"Mike B." wrote:
|I have just done an exact same upgrade. NT to 2k3. After the upgrade and
| when I logon as the local domain administrator account I cannot access any
of
| the logs. This is not just on one this one server, but the two other DC's
| have installed on the domain. The adminstrator account is in the
Enterprise
| admin group. If I logon with another user who is in the local domain
admin
| group I can access the logs without any issue.
|
| Let me know if you have any ideas.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Mike B.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 6:59:01 AM

It is a member of the local domain admin group.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Check that the domain account is a member of the local administrators group.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Mike B." wrote:
> |I have just done an exact same upgrade. NT to 2k3. After the upgrade and
> | when I logon as the local domain administrator account I cannot access any
> of
> | the logs. This is not just on one this one server, but the two other DC's
> | have installed on the domain. The adminstrator account is in the
> Enterprise
> | admin group. If I logon with another user who is in the local domain
> admin
> | group I can access the logs without any issue.
> |
> | Let me know if you have any ideas.
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Mike B.

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 8:34:05 PM

Then you may need to add the user to the local administrators group. "local"
meaning machine local

--

"Mike B." wrote:
| It is a member of the local domain admin group.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:05:01 AM

It is a domain controller for the new upgraded domain. Local Users and
Computers are disabled.

!