Permission Problem After Upgrading NT 4 Server

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Hi All,

Recently I tried to upgrade my NT 4 PDC to Windows 2003 Server, the whole
process to setup the AD seems like smoothly... but after setup the AD &
restart, I can't access to System, Application, DNS event except security.
Anyone got any idea what's wrong with it??

The server configurations:
AD: mycompanyname.local
DNS: 127.0.0.1
AD Mode: Pre-Windows 2000

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about permission problem upgrading server
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    The files may be corrupt. Control Panel|Services|Event Log Service|General,
    set the "Startup Type:" to "Disabled" restart the pc, then delete (or move)
    the corrupt *.Evt from %systemroot%\system32\config then set the Event Log
    Service "Startup Type:" back to "Automatic", restart for effect.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "ultraman" wrote:
    | Hi All,
    |
    | Recently I tried to upgrade my NT 4 PDC to Windows 2003 Server, the whole
    | process to setup the AD seems like smoothly... but after setup the AD &
    | restart, I can't access to System, Application, DNS event except security.
    | Anyone got any idea what's wrong with it??
    |
    | The server configurations:
    | AD: mycompanyname.local
    | DNS: 127.0.0.1
    | AD Mode: Pre-Windows 2000
    |
    | Thanks.
    |
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    I haven't tried that out but when I created another user and grant him
    administrator right I can logon & check the event log without any problem. I
    also tried using existing user account who got the administrator right also
    without any problem.

    Btw, the AD is up, PDC emulator is up too, all my client(Win98/WinXP) can
    logon without any problem.

    Thanks for reply.


    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > The files may be corrupt. Control Panel|Services|Event Log Service|General,
    > set the "Startup Type:" to "Disabled" restart the pc, then delete (or move)
    > the corrupt *.Evt from %systemroot%\system32\config then set the Event Log
    > Service "Startup Type:" back to "Automatic", restart for effect.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "ultraman" wrote:
    > | Hi All,
    > |
    > | Recently I tried to upgrade my NT 4 PDC to Windows 2003 Server, the whole
    > | process to setup the AD seems like smoothly... but after setup the AD &
    > | restart, I can't access to System, Application, DNS event except security.
    > | Anyone got any idea what's wrong with it??
    > |
    > | The server configurations:
    > | AD: mycompanyname.local
    > | DNS: 127.0.0.1
    > | AD Mode: Pre-Windows 2000
    > |
    > | Thanks.
    > |
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Then the profile is probably corrupt.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "ultraman" wrote:
    |I haven't tried that out but when I created another user and grant him
    | administrator right I can logon & check the event log without any problem.
    I
    | also tried using existing user account who got the administrator right
    also
    | without any problem.
    |
    | Btw, the AD is up, PDC emulator is up too, all my client(Win98/WinXP) can
    | logon without any problem.
    |
    | Thanks for reply.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    I have just done an exact same upgrade. NT to 2k3. After the upgrade and
    when I logon as the local domain administrator account I cannot access any of
    the logs. This is not just on one this one server, but the two other DC's I
    have installed on the domain. The adminstrator account is in the Enterprise
    admin group. If I logon with another user who is in the local domain admin
    group I can access the logs without any issue.

    Let me know if you have any ideas.

    Thanks,

    Mike B.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Then the profile is probably corrupt.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "ultraman" wrote:
    > |I haven't tried that out but when I created another user and grant him
    > | administrator right I can logon & check the event log without any problem.
    > I
    > | also tried using existing user account who got the administrator right
    > also
    > | without any problem.
    > |
    > | Btw, the AD is up, PDC emulator is up too, all my client(Win98/WinXP) can
    > | logon without any problem.
    > |
    > | Thanks for reply.
    >
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Check that the domain account is a member of the local administrators group.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Mike B." wrote:
    |I have just done an exact same upgrade. NT to 2k3. After the upgrade and
    | when I logon as the local domain administrator account I cannot access any
    of
    | the logs. This is not just on one this one server, but the two other DC's
    I
    | have installed on the domain. The adminstrator account is in the
    Enterprise
    | admin group. If I logon with another user who is in the local domain
    admin
    | group I can access the logs without any issue.
    |
    | Let me know if you have any ideas.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Mike B.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    It is a member of the local domain admin group.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Check that the domain account is a member of the local administrators group.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Mike B." wrote:
    > |I have just done an exact same upgrade. NT to 2k3. After the upgrade and
    > | when I logon as the local domain administrator account I cannot access any
    > of
    > | the logs. This is not just on one this one server, but the two other DC's
    > I
    > | have installed on the domain. The adminstrator account is in the
    > Enterprise
    > | admin group. If I logon with another user who is in the local domain
    > admin
    > | group I can access the logs without any issue.
    > |
    > | Let me know if you have any ideas.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | Mike B.
    >
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Then you may need to add the user to the local administrators group. "local"
    meaning machine local

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Mike B." wrote:
    | It is a member of the local domain admin group.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    It is a domain controller for the new upgraded domain. Local Users and
    Computers are disabled.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Then you may need to add the user to the local administrators group. "local"
    > meaning machine local
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Mike B." wrote:
    > | It is a member of the local domain admin group.
    >
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Server 2003 Microsoft DNS Servers Windows