I have a legal copy of XP Pro. New computer with Home XP when I try to
update it doesn't allow me to update it said that I have a newer version on
the computer than the disk. I can do an update from the CD drive. When I did
that it wasn't a clean install. It left most of the preinstalled software on
the hard-drive but when I double clicked the exe file I got error messages.
The message stated that a file was missing.

Is there a way to do an update from the CD drive and do an update so that
the preinstalled software will continue to work or is the fact that Pro
version is older the problem?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Fay

Suggest you make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 slipstreamed
and then perform the upgrade.

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.p­hp?action=show&showarticle=49

or

AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.­php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Fay Yocum" wrote:

| I have a legal copy of XP Pro. New computer with Home XP when I try to
| update it doesn't allow me to update it said that I have a newer version on
| the computer than the disk. I can do an update from the CD drive. When I did
| that it wasn't a clean install. It left most of the preinstalled software on
| the hard-drive but when I double clicked the exe file I got error messages.
| The message stated that a file was missing.
|
| Is there a way to do an update from the CD drive and do an update so that
| the preinstalled software will continue to work or is the fact that Pro
| version is older the problem?
|
| Thanks for any thoughts.
|
| Fay

Thanks Carey what is slipstreaming?

Fay

> Suggest you make a new Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 slipstreamed
> and then perform the upgrade.
>
> Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
> (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:
>
> Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
> http://www.msfn.org/articles.p­hp?action=show&showarticle=49
>
> or
>
> AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
> http://www.wbeta.com/comments.­php?shownews=1063&catid=2
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Fay Yocum" wrote:
>
> | I have a legal copy of XP Pro. New computer with Home XP when I try to
> | update it doesn't allow me to update it said that I have a newer version
> on
> | the computer than the disk. I can do an update from the CD drive. When I
> did
> | that it wasn't a clean install. It left most of the preinstalled
> software on
> | the hard-drive but when I double clicked the exe file I got error
> messages.
> | The message stated that a file was missing.
> |
> | Is there a way to do an update from the CD drive and do an update so
> that
> | the preinstalled software will continue to work or is the fact that Pro
> | version is older the problem?
> |
> | Thanks for any thoughts.
> |
> | Fay

Slipstreaming is simply integrating the Service Pack files into
the Windows XP operating system CD. Since your new
computer has SP2 installed, you'll need to create a new
Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 integrated (slipstreamed)
in order to upgrade.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP