Sign in with
Your question

Help with videocards shutting off

Last response: in Windows 7
July 22, 2011 9:25:51 AM

hey guys,

have had this happen now on 2 seperate cards, had thought my new one was bugged but now this happened on my old one for the first time. the monitor signal will just stop, screen goes to default "no signal", and you can hear everything still running in the background, like, if there was a game open, you can still hear game audio, key inputs, etc. system is still responsive otherwise but have to reboot system to restore signal to the monitor. this is allways during a gaming session, never just chillin, surfin , etc.

what would be the most likely suspect in this scenario, pwr suppy? antec neopower 650. thanks for advice. cards are not overheating.

More about : videocards shutting

a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
July 22, 2011 3:34:08 PM

Some possibilities:

1) Are your drivers up to date? Perhaps even a beta driver?

2) Heat:
If a card gets hot enough, it will slow down or shut off. Since you have a new card, it is unlikely that you have an accumulation of dust in it.

3) Power:
The psu would normally be a prime suspect, but your Antec 650 is a good one, and is strong enough to power a card up to a GTX580.
What graphics card are we talking about here? Under load, the graphics card will use more power which would explain the shut off. Can you try a different psu?
Is it possible that the psu connector to the graphics card is defective or loose? Some motherboards have a place for auxiliary power that is needed to power the pci-e X16 slot.
Do you have one, and if so, is it connected.

m
l
July 22, 2011 7:29:43 PM

drivers are up to date.

dust bunnies have been cleared from old card, new card is new, as stated, does not appear to be a heat issue.

graphics cards are evga's, 275 gtx, and 460 gtx. happens alot with the 460, only once sofar with my old 275. not sure of power reqs between the 2 cards, like if the 460 would consume more power and stress the psu more. this only seems to happen under load. unfortunatly, dont have another comparable psu atm, i have a 450w, but prob undersized for my current rig.

and yes, the cards have correct connections to psu and they are solid.

thanks for reply, trying to determine if psu is prime suspect b4 replacing. i think the antec is going on about 2 years old.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
July 22, 2011 7:47:53 PM

demoncleaner666 said:
drivers are up to date.

dust bunnies have been cleared from old card, new card is new, as stated, does not appear to be a heat issue.

graphics cards are evga's, 275 gtx, and 460 gtx. happens alot with the 460, only once sofar with my old 275. not sure of power reqs between the 2 cards, like if the 460 would consume more power and stress the psu more. this only seems to happen under load. unfortunatly, dont have another comparable psu atm, i have a 450w, but prob undersized for my current rig.

and yes, the cards have correct connections to psu and they are solid.

thanks for reply, trying to determine if psu is prime suspect b4 replacing. i think the antec is going on about 2 years old.

The GTX460 wants a 450w psu with 24a on the 12v rails. It would seem that your psu is ok, unless it is old and deteriorating, or if it is of poor quality.
The GTX285 wants a 550w psu.
But, these suggestions are usually conservative, catering to the possibility of a low quality psu.

Antec is usually considered a quality brand, and 650w is plenty. You might try the 450w psu with the GTX460.
Antec has good customer support, and will replace the unit if it is determined to be defective, and still under warranty.
m
l
July 22, 2011 7:54:18 PM

welcome to the forums newcomer!

here's what you should post back with;
1| your system specs
2| how long we're your sessions with teh 2 year old PSU? 24/7?
3| the likely suspect IS the PSU as both the cards you mention are power hungry. Although more efficient than the GTX275, the PSU might've taken a toll on its capacitors and giving lower outputs than intended...though we can't say EXACTLY.
4| heat can be of an intriguing issue, some members at EVGA said that the thermal paste was thrown onto the GPU chip while others said that the GPU had sparingly applied thermal paste. Take a look see.

we can't troubleshoot the problem until we can see the troubled picture :)  maybe teh mobo's giving up :/  dunno....more questions...
m
l
July 22, 2011 8:35:27 PM

ty geo.

so my old 450 should be ok to run the 460 card for troubleshooting purposes? other relavant specs: amd phenom2 x4, 4 hard drives, rom drive.

so hmmm, interesting. i take it the 275 consumes a bit more power then? interesting that the 460 shuts down within lets say an hour to 2 from install of the card while the 275 typically runs like a champ only having shutdown once that i can remember, been my main card for quite awhile. i had picked up the 460 as an upgrade, but after many installs and sshutdowns, had assumed the card was wonky. had just now got an rma for it and oh snap! old card did the same thing.....lol. hmmmm. better wait a sec on that rma. i should mention the 460 would typically shutdown and then "blackscreen" on reboot, thru windows screens and into desktop. after like a min or so on desktop, the image would appear. maybe like half the time it shutdown, it would do that blackscreen on reboot thing. having been thru my comp pretty hard lately, all vents, fans, etc are clean and its running as cool as it ever has and this system has served me long and well.

got me thinking however about your driver question, and i do have one questionable driver atm. had been having a ton of bsod probs, may or may not be related in any way to the above issue, not sure. blue screen view showed multiple errors, not just one or 2 most seeming to point towards ram type causes. ram would pass memtest. the fact that my old card has shut off now has me wondering. so i did a clean install on win 7 like 10 days ago. troubleshooting bios on fresh install, discoverd my 1066 ram was runnin full auto timings xcept for it was set to 800. after trying manufacts timings to no luck, i set this main timing to auto and viola, my comp was stable again for 7 days. so i thought i had solved my probs. 1. ram timing and 2. i thought the 460 card was also bad. untill my 275 shut off....lol.

the driver: during fresh install/driver update, went to update chipset drivers for asus board. asus site only had bios updates, no chipset updates. so i went to install older drivers from disc. doh...incompatable with this verion of windows. so went to nividia site, found the chipset updates and went to install. the SMU DRIVER SPECIFICALLY, every time i would go to install it, it would immmediatly bluescreen my comp. so at this point, i have not been able to update or install it (not sure if there is something driverwise that windows would autoinstall during fresh windows install). posted on asus about it but have not recieved any response. the computer ran solid for 7 days so i was thinking it wasnt critical whatever it was, my bsods had seemed to be fixed. other than that specific driver, all my other drivers should be current. wanted to mention it in case it was relevant to the problem i described.

comp ran great for 7 days hard gaming use, and then had the 275 shut off yesterday, as well as 2 bluescreens. so still scratching my head a bit. i have not ruled out the psu at all, so if i can run my current rig on my old 450 that would help take that out of the guessing game. ram seems to do fine everytime i put memtest on it.

i only experiance bsods, videocard shutdown, game crashes while GAMING with a load on the system. any input is appreciated.
m
l
July 22, 2011 8:46:41 PM

Lutfij said:
welcome to the forums newcomer!

here's what you should post back with;
1| your system specs
2| how long we're your sessions with teh 2 year old PSU? 24/7?
3| the likely suspect [iIS the PSU as both the cards you mention are power hungry. Although more efficient than the GTX275, the PSU might've taken a toll on its capacitors and giving lower outputs than intended...though we can't say EXACTLY.
4| heat can be of an intriguing issue, some members at EVGA said that the thermal paste was thrown onto the GPU chip while others said that the GPU had sparingly applied thermal paste. Take a look see.

we can't troubleshoot the problem until we can see the troubled picture :)  maybe teh mobo's giving up :/  dunno....more questions...
[/i]

hi lut, thanks for input

asus m3n hd/hdmi board. amd phenom2 x4 3.2ghz black edition, huge aftermarket cpu cooler, 650w antec neopower psu, 4 gigs OCZ 1066 ddr2, soundblaster titanium, rom drive, one ide drive, 3 sata drives, running Win 7. fresh install, fresh drivers ecept my smu driver, see above post.

2. im off right now so gaming a ton, yes, these are all day sessions, comp gets shut down at night. been playin civ 5 so ya, long sessions, lol.

4. i dont suspect heat on the 460 card as it will do it right after an install, once it warms up, but not like after 8 hours of gaming. have ran with side panel off, etc. my case typically vents and performs well. i also allways use evga prescision to run my gpu fans around 85 -100% depending on whine, so they arent just sitting at default and that kicks on with windows startup.

this mb is getting to be rather old, it has lasted me much longer than i typically run them for, but its still hangin in there barely as far as upgrade support, the rig still does everything i need it to on a budget. but its seens its last upgrade cycle. its also original bios, but has run the above hardware with no problems for a long long time over many hours so have never updated it. the 460 is the only new componant to this current build.
m
l
July 22, 2011 8:54:18 PM

These we're what i found on asus's site;

M3N-HD HDMI BIOS 2703

AMD Cool n Quiet Driver V2.18.03 for Windows XP & 64bit XP.

Now, the last thing we need to do is find out if the rams match your mem QVL...and btw how old is the rig?

OCZ OCZ2P8004GK DDR2 800 4096MB(Kit of 2) - this is the only kit, acceptable by the mobo...
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
July 22, 2011 9:06:32 PM

Could you possibly have an issue with your wall power?
A small ups will condition the power. APC makes good ones that I trust.

Could you possibly have an issue with a memory leak?
Bad code anywhere can, over time acquire memory and not release it until you reboot.

If you are not on windows 7 64 bit, perhaps it is time to consider a change.

Ram is cheap, here is what 8gb can do for you:
http://blog.corsair.com/?p=65

Are there any motherboard bios updates that might be relevant?
They often address ram issues.

Have you applied the latest patches to civ 5?
m
l
July 22, 2011 9:27:39 PM

Lutfij said:
These we're what i found on asus's site;

M3N-HD HDMI BIOS 2703

AMD Cool n Quiet Driver V2.18.03 for Windows XP & 64bit XP.

Now, the last thing we need to do is find out if the rams match your mem QVL...and btw how old is the rig?

OCZ OCZ2P8004GK DDR2 800 4096MB(Kit of 2) - this is the only kit, acceptable by the mobo...

the ocz kit i have is compatable with the board to my knowledge, looked into it quite a bit at time of purchase. additionally, this ram is not new and i have run the system stabily on it for lets say at least a year. not sure if i have ever got it to run at 1066, been to long since install, but nevertheless, whatever settings it was on in bios were stable for at least a year or so. im sure i would need a bios update to get full 1066 i would imagine, still a bit of fear of flashing bios left over from the old days, lol. again, since the system ran so well for so long, i just never updated it.

did not realize the cool n quite had so much other stuff attached to it, will install that right now. thought it was just a off peak noise thing. thanks for the ideas. anybody have any ideas on the smu driver issue?
m
l
July 22, 2011 9:43:50 PM

geofelt said:
Could you possibly have an issue with your wall power?
A small ups will condition the power. APC makes good ones that I trust.

Could you possibly have an issue with a memory leak?
Bad code anywhere can, over time acquire memory and not release it until you reboot.

If you are not on windows 7 64 bit, perhaps it is time to consider a change.

Ram is cheap, here is what 8gb can do for you:
http://blog.corsair.com/?p=65

Are there any motherboard bios updates that might be relevant?
They often address ram issues.

Have you applied the latest patches to civ 5?

i dont suspect wall power, as its the same old same old ive been running everything off of for eons now. psu goes directly to outlet.

memory leak? not sure, i just did a fresh install of everything, not to my knowledge.

ya, im on 7 64bit.

pretty sure i patched civ but good call, will check to be sure, thanks for reminder. (yep, autopatches via steam)

as i stated above, im on original bios and it ran solid so long in its current state, im just reluctant to flash the bios, lol. like, that wasnt a factor that changed in relation to the hardware in my system from the time it was stable to now, so i dont really put that at the top of my list troublshooting wise. the bios/cpu/memory combo was rock solid for a long time and nothing has changed, xcept throwing the new 460 card in teh machine. i know i could use a bios update, just one of those not broke dont fix it deals, and im just chicken from the old days, i know its not as easy to bork things up now with backups, ha ha. it worked forever so im just thinking of things that might be failing on my system as more likley suspects?

ya, i know ram is cheap, this is a old ddr2 board, the next time i upgrade my ram i will upgrade my board along with it so not looking to put any more $ into an obsolete board. just trying to strech this one out as long as possible, lol, but its seen its last ram/cpu upgrades for sure. in testing current ram, i have tried one stick at a time, as well as memtest, no errors in memtest and same results with comp with one or both sticks in.
m
l
July 22, 2011 11:19:06 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what your going on about the SMU driver, its not listed on Asus's FTP site when i select windows 7 64 bit os...so the only likely candidates for download are the ones i mentioned in the post before geofelt.

ORIGINAL BIOS!>!?!?!?!?! bro, you're supposed to update bios as soon as you see a new version out...leave teh BETA drivers out of the picture :p  as they are what they are...BETA's

Before i purchased my x48 mobo, i could only read of people nagging about the board being a dud, until one guy comes up with bios revisions and also a modded bios - that solved everything and even gave OC'ing joy for those complaining.

Most times since you've to input the command that you are the administrator, you'll generally have to run the installer as administrator...sorry to think you're laymen, me and geofelt are trying to get to the same point - solve your mobo issue.
m
l
July 22, 2011 11:56:07 PM

as i stated above, i got the chipset drivers from nvidias webby when i didnt find any listed on asus site. the driver packages has 4 drivers, if memory serves, display, smu, network and trying to remember the 4th. thats where the smu driver i am referancing comes from. http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce-vista-win7-64bit-15...

yes, original bios. i should clarify original. original to shipping unit, not OG BIOS, lol. this board was not new when i bought it, there are only 2 newer bios versions avialable out of 19 total, so mine is relativly updated. your missing the point bro. like i said, that combo of OS/CPU/PSU/RAM/BIOS worked flawlessly for over a year. i have not added any new hardware. if the old hardware functioned flawlessly for over a year with original bios, and no changes have been made to the system, why then all of a sudden, is my bios suspect?? doesnt really make to much sense. if the bios update was critical, then this combo of hardware never would have ran stable. like i said allready, i know i could use a bios update, (im sure my RAM would run at 1066 with one, but it has run just fine at 800 up untill this point) but that does not change the nature of my problem one way or another. the bios is a known constant, the system has performed well with this bios with this hardware config for a looooooong time. if i am wringing maximum performance out of my rig is another pt. alltogether . knowing the bios is a constant, then i am reluctant to chage it untill i troublshoot out my current problem, becuase if i change it i remove a known constant from the equasion and inject another variable. the fact that its run fine all this time, and then suddenly starts to have problems pts to a failing componant to me and not a bios update. appreciate the feedback.
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2011 1:31:58 AM

I don't think I would update my motherboard bios unless it might fix a problem thatI cared about.
The impact of a disastrous failure should be compared against the benefit of fixing something.
m
l
July 23, 2011 2:34:05 AM

Now,:/ can you transplant the parts and check them out over at your pals? BIOS maybe constant, but usually a corrupt bios can result in your occurrence's - been reading some of that on some threads...can't remember them.

sorry but I start to ask the basic questions - then work my way up bro :)  i agree its time consuming but it removes having to ask them later and then finding out; OH! that was the reason.

I missed the part about the rig being 1 year old :/ 

To eliminate the variables you take all these parts and check them out one by one...by moving them to your pals rig.

All of that trouble in the end could point to the mobo being the failure, as you mention the GTX460 being fresh (according to you:)  )
m
l
July 23, 2011 4:48:40 AM

ya, exactly geo, the 2 newer bios updates only address new processors and my last cpu upgrade was recognized so i was good to go. i belive ocz recommends the latest update for 1066 performance with my ram, but im not going to flash it just for a slight bump in performance.

the mb is prob 2 to 2.5 years old. the last upgrade was cpu and RAM and that was like 15 monthes ago. so there was a long peroid of stability. only having problems the last few monthes. unfortunatly dont have another test system handy and my older system is too far behind to accomodate most of my hardware at this point.
m
l
!