Seagate barracudaES 320GB or WesternDigital 320GB(WD3200YS)?

strkong

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Hi :D
I want to buy a new HD for my home PC, both Seagate barracuda ES 320GB and Western Digital 320GB(WD3200YS) are on my list, just can't decide which one i should take :? Could anyone give me some advices on that? Thx :) [/b]

Name_Already_Taken

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
I am assuming you will be using SATA and both brands are good. You will want to look at a side by side comparison of the drives specifications, along with the MTBF, Cache Size and NCQ. Personally I like SeaGates and am in the middle of Upgrading all of my western digitals to SeaGate 500's

strkong

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
I am assuming you will be using SATA and both brands are good. You will want to look at a side by side comparison of the drives specifications, along with the MTBF, Cache Size and NCQ. Personally I like SeaGates and am in the middle of Upgrading all of my western digitals to SeaGate 500's

thx for ur reply, i would take it into my consideration.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Depending on where you live you should check out the warranties. Seagate grants 5 years to most of its hard drives. WD only has 2 or 3 years.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I'm sporting the Seagate myself and haven't had any problems with it. Same size and everything. Go with them I don't think you'll be disappointed.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Actually the WD YS series are "Near Line" drives. Designed for 24/7 operation with 16M cache, a 1M hour plus MTBF and 5 year warranty. I think the specs out do the Seagates' on paper. I've got YD's, (early YS's), running in RAID0 and have had no issues with them.

Personally, I think you've made fine choices and it just boils down to a Ford/Chevy argument.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Seagate.

The reasons for this are that the reviews I've seen in the last year comparing most WD and Seagate drives the Seagate is either ahead for perpendicular drives or about even and the Seagate has a better warranty normally but you will want to check on the specific one you're purchasing.

EDIT: About the above posters comments. I didn't realize that WD drive was different warranty-wise than all the others. If thats the case it might be more price consideration. However I would add that in my personal experience over the years I've found Seagates to be more reliable at home and at my company building where we have over 1100 users. Anyone can get a lemon from one company tho, but overall I've found seagates to last a bit longer. Someone might have had different luck in another setting, who knows :)

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
All depends on the model of the Seagate.
There is an AS and and ES version of the 72001.0 320MB drive.

The ES drive is designed for 24x7 operation and enterprise use.
Just like the WD model you mentioned.

The ES version is an extra $5-$10 and worth it IMHO for a little extra peace of mind. (Any Hard-Drive, however, can and will fail.)