Upgrade problem W98 to 2000 Pro

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I am trying to upgrade from W98 to W2000 Pro and at the same time move to a
bigger hard disk and new PC.

I copy all files from my 5Gb HD to a newly formatted 20Gb HD. Both the old
HD and new are FAT32. I then transfer the 20Gb HD to my new PC a Compaq
Deskpro EN and it boots fine and does some driver changes and completes
successfully. I then run W2000 Pro upgrade which completes ok. I then
tried to boot and I got "NTLDR is Missing" After reading Microsoft article
ID 255220 that in W98, the Heads parameters are held inaccurately in the
BPB. Using a W98 start-up disk I SYS the new 20Gb HD. Then with new 20Gb
HD
in the new Deskpro PC boot to the upgrade CD and Recovery Console and use
FIXBOOT to re-write the W2000 boot code. When I boot up now I no longer get
the "NTLDR is Missing message" but I get STOP 0x0000007b, (0xED41B84C,
0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I have tried doing CHKDSK within Recovery Console and the HD is read ok and
checks out fine.

I have also tried the automatic repair facility on the Upgrade CD with no
success.

I have tried doing a fresh install on the new 20Gb HD (FAT32) on the Deskpro
EN. The install is successful and the PC runs stable.

I would like to do the upgrade so as to keep all programs and
settings.installing

By the way my W2000 Pro CD has SP2

I'd welcome any suggestions on how to get the upgrade working.

Thanks